Notices

Asking myself what is the point?

Old 06-21-2017, 01:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

63 is young, and besides, by not drinking, you're adding years to you life, and quality years at that.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I guess the huge "point" for me is that I have found I had no idea what would lie ahead in sobriety! OOTT and others in our Feb Class of 2016 thread can tell you that I certainly found a SLEW of surprises - at 39-turning-40-sober, now going on 41.....and whatever age we are, if we stop drinking "this time" we have a chance at really living, for however long the rest of our life is.

The point for me is that now, I have choices. Now, I am a respectable, contributing member of society. Now, I can look myself in the mirror happily (or fuss about my hair) - something I had almost stopped doing during the last of my drinking- and now....so many things.

I will die at some point- but it won't be because I killed myself drinking. Getting up every day sober is exactly the point.

Take care of yourself. You're the only one who can.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day 4 is great Six

I'm glad you posted too labatty

D
Old 06-21-2017, 02:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by asixstringnut View Post
Thanks to you all who took the time to comment and share I made it through day 4 without drinking.
Today was a very hard day for me emotionally but I was able to hang on to the hope that tomorrow might very well be better than today.
Seriously thank you all for the support and kindness.

asixstringnut
I'm glad to hear this asixstringnut. You're not asking yourself "what is the point?" Those are the words of addiction.

You're in the hard part of this and your addiction will do all it can to talk you into believing you might as well drink.

There are such better things ahead, I promise, and you CAN do this!
Old 06-21-2017, 03:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Day 4 is the first milestone Mista Sixstring. It's the day when you first start to feel a bit better and it seems like maybe the problem isn't so bad. The weekend is coming up etc etc.

So, through Day 4 is a big thing.....hang in there, keep going. All support.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey Six — it looks like from your profile pic you have a doggie, even if you don't have a human family ... And trust me, your pet knows the difference between drunk you and sober you. For 15 years we had a little rat terrier who adored his Papa, my husband. They would sit together on the sofa watching TV -- the dog sitting up on his bum with his legs sticking out front like a baby in my husband's lap; they would play games together -- the dog always wanted to be with him ... unless he was drunk. Then my husband couldn't get the dog even to come to him, and once or twice when he managed to grab the dog, the dog actually nipped him! It was crazy. So, one creature, anyway, will love that you're sober for his or her sake.

Plus, what all the others have said: whatever time you have left, it can be full of good days rather than drunken ones. Hang in there. I admire you for making the decision.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I get it, sixstring, but day 4 is way to early to judge on how things will be just a short time from now. I'm a 54 year old gay man living alone in a small farming town in Idaho. I've tried getting sober numerous times before. have congestive heart failure. By last Fall, although sober, I had become a complete recluse, almost never leaving my apartment unless I had to. I prayed to God to just obliterate me.

I have almost a year now of not just being sober but living sober and I pray to God in thanks for each beautiful day. My life is far from perfect nor without hard setbacks. I still have no friends where I live (I'm working on it!) and no one in my family has even seen me in years and years, but I am 50x better than I was back then. It takes time, and a plan you have to stick to. The first weeks are just about getting through the crap that detoxing is. Then it's about taking charge and setting out a plan to live a sober life, whatever form that takes; AA, hobbies, other support groups, pets, new venture, therapy, exercise, etc., any of those sorts of things can be part of your sobriety but with some sort of plan, you can execute it daily and you will see the progress.

Life will be beautiful and is worth living because YOU are worth it. God, (Not saying you have to believe.), loves you so much more than you love yourself. I love the quote from Fr. Greg Boyle from Hevyn's signature line in this thread...

"You are so much better than the worse thing you have ever done."
Old 06-21-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

How you doing today 6string?
Old 06-21-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm wondering too, Six.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Today is day five and it is 6:23 pm here so I am feeling pretty confident that I am going to make it through the day.
Lots of self talk about the fact is that I can no longer drink. It is not an option that will work for me.
My body and soul are tired but I am sober today and looking forward to being the same tomorrow.
I feel like I could eat everything in the house. I am craving sweets and I just might cave in and get some Ben & Jerry's ice
cream. My waist line is the least of my worries at the moment.
I did not eat a bunch of carbs I just use to drink them all.

Alcohol is poison to me and I can no longer go there.

Thanks all of you for the support.

asixstringnut
Old 06-21-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Old 06-22-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Alcohol Induced Anhedonia is a real thing.
Anhedonia is the inability to experience pleasure. I was loaded with it whenever I quit drinking. I would quit, life seemed dreary, so I would start again thinking 'sober life is dreary'.

Problem was, I was never really past the longer-term emotional effects of alcohol. In hindsight, I was never really sober.

Now I am - and life is great again.

Hang in there, Friend! It gets better!
Old 06-22-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Working on day 6

Still feeling really tired. It is nice to look in the mirror and have my eyes look like I am not bleeding out of them.
Another day I am going to stay sober.

asixstringnut
Old 06-22-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

You're doing this, asixstringnut!!

Old 06-22-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I am craving sweets and I just might cave in and get some Ben & Jerry's ice
cream. asixstringnut
THAT'S the spirit!

Ben & Jerry's gets my vote!

I have been hearing some things about "Chocolate Therapy". I haven't been able to locate any yet but once I do I'm trying it.

Glad to hear you sounding in somewhat better spirits.

If it helps any, whenever my head started questioning my decisions it was a surefire tell that I needed to find something fun to do, or good to eat. Anything that would busy me until the thoughts passed.

We're all here for you
Old 06-22-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks for checking in SixString. Good thoughts coming your way.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:17 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

great! glad to hear it. I try to see it now as a marathon not a sprint. just one day at a time.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:26 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
THAT'S the spirit!

I have been hearing some things about "Chocolate Therapy". I haven't been able to locate any yet but once I do I'm trying it

We're all here for you
Chocolate therapy sounds like a great idea.

asixstringnut
Old 06-22-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Still feeling really tired. It is nice to look in the mirror and have my eyes look like I am not bleeding out of them.
Another day I am going to stay sober.

asixstringnut
Good for you! Hang in there!

p.s., It is a really nice encouragement when people start to say things to you like, "Wow, you look great!" "Are you working out?" "Did you just come back from vacation?"

And you're thinking; "Nope. Just stopped drinking."
Old 06-22-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
under new management

Awesome

a lil' ice cream is good for the soul