SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I gave my son a lift (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/411474-i-gave-my-son-lift.html)

bimbott 06-20-2017 03:27 AM

I gave my son a lift

On a Friday evening a week or so ago, I was relaxing in the living room watching some rubbish on TV. My younger kids were with their Dad for the weekend and my eldest son was in another room with a couple of his friends. It was about 9:30 and I overheard one of my son's friends on his phone trying to book a taxi with no success. So I called my son into the living room and asked him where they were trying to get to and whether they would like a lift. Consequently, I drove the 3 of them 4 miles out of town to the party they wanted to go to.

If I was telling this story to my friends or family, it would be the biggest 'non-story' of the year. They wouldn't get why I thought they would be the slightest bit interested in it.

However, I know that you guys will get it. This was MASSIVE for me. My son is 20 years old and I have never given him a lift anywhere in the evening before - certainly not at 9:30 at night. I have never been legally fit to drive at 9:30 at night.

Ferrying my son around after about 7 in the evening (and that threshold got earlier and earlier as the years went by) just never happened. I wanted my glasses of wine when I got back from work and nothing and no-one was going to interfere with it. Any delay in feeding my addiction would result in me being so ungracious and begrudging about giving him a lift that he stopped asking.

Being able and willing and happy to give my son and his friends that lift, I hope, it the start of something good.

MidnightRider 06-20-2017 03:40 AM

I can totally relate to your post.
What a wonderful and proud accomplishment !

Maudcat 06-20-2017 04:30 AM

Know exactly what you mean, bimbott. Nice to be able to funcation after 7 at night. Congratulations.

Endoftheday 06-20-2017 04:37 AM

Yes I know what you mean , used to start drinking in the afternoon so never could drive after about 3.00pm , if I had to drive later I would be so annoyed as it was eating into my drinking time

seahorse661 06-20-2017 04:39 AM

I completely relate. Some time ago my daughter called me at night to collect her as her plan for a lift home hadn't materialised. Initially I was furious at having my life disrupted but on the drive I realised that not only was I able to drive - she actually trusted me enough to call me and ask! It was a turning point in my perception of how recovery impacted my family.

Dee74 06-20-2017 04:48 AM

yeah - we get it :c014:

fantastic Bimbott! :)

D

Nonsensical 06-20-2017 06:04 AM

You Rock!
:You_Rock_

PhoenixJ 06-20-2017 06:11 AM

A blessing...

Mizzuno 06-20-2017 07:14 AM

This is one reason to remain sober. Good work! :c011:

thomas11 06-20-2017 08:34 AM

Sometimes its the smallest of things that gives us the greatest joy. Congrats. I know I had to pick my wife up at the airport last week at midnight, never would happened if I was drinking. I would have paid for a cab etc...

nova84 06-20-2017 01:22 PM

As others have already said bimbott...I totally get it...how fab 😊 x