Notices

What do you do when you start feeling anxious and irritable?

Old 06-21-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 1 month! That's fantastic.

I started searching youtube for 10 min. meditations. They are easy, I can listen on my way to work, while getting ready for work, anytime with earbuds. That really helped me.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Hey BB et al-

Sure.
The recovery-specific things are:
1 visit SR;
2 read daily devotional from this year's devotional, Jesus Today;
3 HALT check-in (how do I feel on waking? Hungry/Angry/Lonely/Tired? Sometimes I just cross this off and sometimes I make a note- eg, "too much ice cream last night!" ha);
4 read pp 84-88 and 417-418 of the Big Book (these pages are so well loved that I am one of those people who can see the words in my head and refer to them often, at least internally);
5 read the Richard Rohr daily email devotional (Friar Richard Rohr is a fave of mine- see https://cac.org/sign-up/);
6 Bible reading plan via an app (my boyfriend and I share this - it's cool because you can make notes on each other's readings, make verse images, all kinds of stuff- we've been doing plans for six months or so now- some are as short as 5 days and the longest one we did was 100!);

I am a dedicated AA-er - today is actually 16 mo sober. Not a "real" anniversary, but I still count days at least a few times a week and note each month! My sweet spot for meetings is 4-6 a week. I did about 82 in 90 when I first quit drinking; at first I almost always went to the noon meeting at a big clubhouse then at what has become my home group that meets MWF. Right now, with my work schedule and new commitment to a restaurant-industry recovery group (I'm a server) that I am leading, I am usually getting to 4 mtgs with one being that one, which is not AA.

I keep what we call the "Holy Day Planner" (it's an awesome book by Blue Sky that I got last year and just bought a new one for July 17-Jun 18) and on the daily pgs I note people to call, tasks to do -a prayer for the day or notes from a reading....I also note bank balances many days- I started this habit when I started working again and opened a main savings account (this is where I put money for my big bills and transfer once a month) and a second (I put 10% of what I make every shift here)....I had to start even more basic with "to do" lists- at first, it was maybe three things, ie 1 shower 2 eat twice 3 make the bed. Not kidding. Now, I put down reminders like "Cliff-walk dog 4p" when I am working and he needs to check on the doggus, comments on my yoga efforts this week, etc- I find satisfaction in concretes so noting accomplishments like "yoga abs - check" makes me happy.

Happy to elaborate more or answer questions for anyone. Just my little way of living in the world, as a happy recovering alcoholic.

Take care all
A
Thanks A. There's a few ideas in there I shall pilfer from you. Many of the things you and I aim to do each day are scarily similar. One of these being the Richard Rohr reflections, which I also recieve by email every day. I'm also listening to his seminars on Sermon on the Mount on Kindle audio at the moment on my commute. He's a wise, wise man. Gotta love the Franciscans.

BB