Notices

On again on again

Old 06-19-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NPL

On again on again

I've looked at this forum for years now. Mostly having to do with 3 day hangovers consequential guilt and avoiding work. Today I joined and I'm happy about it.
I'm 37, healthy as a horse, wife n kid. Problem is I drink myself stupid every other weekend. Probably enough to kill a few regular humans.
No one thinks I have a problem (or at least tells me such)...I think I just play the role of the drunk, fun, funny dude who now has a son.
But my 2 year old woke me up on Saturday passed out on my couch, naked, laying in my own filth, unable to move, asking for pancakes....I may have problem here. My wife was home too so he wasn't in immediate danger as I was an immobilized idiot and she is smart and capable. Her being who she is and available, of course, was also my rationale to drink myself probably almost to death the night prior...again. Sick stuff.
So, today I joined this group as a first step. I'm on my oh hundredth shower of the weekend washing off the grime and guilt holding my phone pushing towards ending booze in my life. The other option is sad. I want to try and do this myself. I started this damn near 25 years ago and I want to end it.
Your thoughts?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by NPL View Post
I started this damn near 25 years ago and I want to end it.
Your thoughts?
I think quitting is a great idea. Bet your wife thinks it's a great idea too.

I don't regret quitting. Not one bit. Sobriety has been a blessing to me.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by quitting drinking.
Make a list of pros and cons.
I thought once I'd be bored and the most blah person ever if I quit drinking.
I'm not missing out on anything but an empty banking account, dying body and unending loneliness. I've already lost a lot of things that were very important to me. Now I'm grateful for what I have.
Above all, my sobriety and some of the peace of mind it has brought me.
I wouldn't still have what I have, and what I've gained without it.

Two thumbs up to quitting.
Doing it on your own is not always the easiest option. Anything is worth trying, if you find you can't stick it, double down your efforts and reach out more for help and other options for recovery programs to help you, more tools for your sobriety tool box.

I'd think that most of your post would fit well in your 'cons' side of the list.
Your role modeling and relationships would do nicely in the 'pros'
Old 06-19-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome NPL, I think you have made a very positive revelation. Just because you don't drink every night or aren't on the street, doesn't mean alcohol isn't a problem in your life. With you frequency of drinking, quitting might be easier for you than most. Either way, its a decision I assure you won't regret. The shame, the guilt, the stupidity all will go away. Sobriety is different, but its better. Wish you the best.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
NPL

Thanks for replying

That's what I was searching for. It's odd but I've asked for help before from those close to me but it's almost as if they don't want me to stop. Not almost. I need to do this myself.
I started down this path of booze a long long time ago once being a kid wasn't cool and I was cool being a kid. You lose yourself to growing up. Especially if you're not used to losing. Fitting in at the sacrifice of your identity is a part of the human experience very few can avoid. Booze found me at the perfect time as a now lifelong crutch and curse.
I'm a positive person. Most often forced but positive is positive. You have to be or you're doomed to the realization that everything is boring. Realizing that is one thing but how you deal with it is another.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
NPL

That's what I was searching for. It's odd but I've asked for help before from those close to me but it's almost as if they don't want me to stop. Not almost. I need to do this myself.
I started down this path of booze a long long time ago once being a kid wasn't cool and I was cool being a kid. You lose yourself to growing up. Especially if you're not used to losing. Fitting in at the sacrifice of your identity is a part of the human experience very few can avoid. Booze found me at the perfect time as a now lifelong crutch and curse.
I'm a positive person. Most often forced but positive is positive. You have to be or you're doomed to the realization that everything is boring. Realizing that is one thing but how you deal with it is another.
Reading that back....I'm probably still in the anxious/depressed stage of my latest 3day hangover
Old 06-19-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You want the drinking to end? Now is the time to do it.

You can have a stellar life without alcohol in the equation. The first few weeks are always the hardest but after awhile it becomes normal. It may not be as hard as you think once you commit to discontinuing alcohol.

3 day hangovers are the worst. I know what that is. Stick around and post. Read, offer support. We are all here on this mission. There are many roads to the same destination. Find what works for you and roll with it.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

sounds like part of your identity is tied up in being the funny drunk guy. That bond will need to be broken, its not easy, but can, and should, be done.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I got sober for good over seven yrs ago and don't regret a minute of it. My life is so much better now, and waking up feeling good never gets old.

I hope our support can help you get sober for good. It's not easy, especially in the beginning, but it's so worth the effort.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
looking for help

I want to quit too lets do it together brother! I lost my wife and kids because I made alcohol a priority over them you don't have to make the same mistake. We can do this together I need your help lets do this!!!!
Old 06-19-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
NPL

Originally Posted by kjimenez04 View Post
I want to quit too lets do it together brother! I lost my wife and kids because I made alcohol a priority over them you don't have to make the same mistake. We can do this together I need your help lets do this!!!!
I'm in...ready
Old 06-19-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great, you guys are committed together. Make solid plans, join the June support thread and check in SR everyday

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-19-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR NPL.
I think its a great time to make a decision to stop drinking

D
Old 06-19-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you for taking the first step! There is a lot of wisdom an support here for you! You sound like good man, you know you need to change and your seeking support. I highly recommend Allen Carr's easy way to stop drinking. It's a great book and helped me a lot. I'm 15 days sober today and feeling great. You can do this. We are all here for you! Best of luck
Old 06-20-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
NPL

Hey thanks for the help guys and gals. So this is more of a 4 day hangover. Which is really quite amazing. Not pukey hungover just the 'I could sleep all day, eat a pizza and box of captain crunch, avoid talking to anyone' hungover. What a fantastic cycle some of us binge-types find ourselves in eh? 4 day hangover. And then...it's Friday and you're not hungover anymore!! And you need to shut your brain off. And again and again and again. So, I rarely drink during the week and this weekend will be a big test. I'll do it. What a nice forum this is.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Have you joined the weekend thread? Joined the 24 hr thread?
They are very helpful. Just a thought
Old 06-20-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
NPL

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Have you joined the weekend thread? Joined the 24 hr thread?
They are very helpful. Just a thought
Dunno how?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

All you need to do to join a thread is post in it NPL
Here are the threads mentioned - you can join as many or as few as you like

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-259-a-5.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-3.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...18-june-6.html

D