Notices

Intense physical exercise during detox.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Intense physical exercise during detox.

I have days when I work 12-14 hour days of labor, and those days don't present themselves with major alcohol cravings.

Today is day 1, and feel I need to work out early in the morning and put in a lot of work for tomorrow to curb the cravings (I'm behind with work as well). Has anyone felt better when you physically challenge yourself to your limit during early detox?
Old 06-17-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The last couple times I detoxed I ended up in the ER so exercise wasn't an option. Your body will be stressed already, I'd take it easy if you can.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Does it have to be intense? What exactly do you mean by that?

If you need to exercise to curb cravings you could take it easy and start a routine. Build the intensity from there. You dont want to burn out from the overexertion.
Just an opinion.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah. I was thinking about doing Crossfit.

The problem is, the last time I tried to quit, my whole body cramped up and shook for a few minutes, and had to crawl to the kitchen and steal beer from my roommate at day 3. Maybe I can physically overcome detox by pushing my body to failure?
Old 06-17-2017, 08:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by sobersolstice View Post
Maybe I can physically overcome detox by pushing my body to failure?
That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me to be honest.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah. It just happened to work in 2012 when I first tried to quit drinking. I went into light to medium boxing training just to get my form back at day 3. I tapered down to 3 beers a day beforehand though. At 2 months in, I went back to sparring and intense group exercise.

I'll listen to my body and train accordingly. Moderation with everything is tough for me. I'm an all or nothing person and don't feel right if I don't get after it.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I enjoy working out also, but I'd suggest taking it slow during early detox. Your body is going through a healing process. Too much stress in the beginning might be a little much at first. After drinking for a while, I usually start off slow and build back up to where I was. Be careful. John
Old 06-18-2017, 12:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

When alcoholics go big we go BIG..LOL.

Our bodies and minds are already stressed due to our long years of self abuse...

stressing them further won't help you get through detox any quicker - and could land you in hot water.

Light exercise? walk around the block type stuff?
sure, go for it.

D
Old 06-18-2017, 12:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would take it easy, it is not going to speed up the process or make it better in any way, on the other hand it could actually do harm.

When I was in rehab, during detox and actually throughout most of my inpatient stay I was not allowed to use the gym despite repeated requests. Besides my drinking I was an otherwise healthy person and very athletic, working out wasn't just some idea I came up with there to stay busy. So I assume if the doctors there decided that it was not a good idea doing that time, despite the fact that I regularly worked out prior to my arrival, they had good reason to deny me access to the gym. I took light walks in the evenings instead.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In addition to the comments others have made, with which I agree.....what is your actual plan for sobriety? IMO, exercise is a good part of our new healthy lifestyle but it is not a plan for sobriety.

I didn't start exercising (short runs) till about 100 or so days of sobriety. Now at nearly 16 mo I have an almost daily routine alternating longer runs (and do a 5K a month) with different kinds of yoga and weight exercises. I have listened to my body and given it a long window for healing as I was exceptionally sick when I quit.

I'd circle back to my first question: what is the program for recovery you will follow to get and stay sober, through your version of detox (since we all experience different symptoms physically, emotionally and mentally) and as you gain time?
Old 06-18-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For me I didn't have much energy in early Sobriety, going to work and coming home shattered was enough for the first few weeks, while concentrating on not drinking.

It was after a few weeks I began to go for walks, and I went from there in terms of exercise.

Not drinking is the aim of the game early on while our body heals and adjusts, so best to go easy and not do any further damage!!
Old 06-18-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i suggest you treat yourself as if you had the flu - lots of rest, hydration, rest, gentle foods, hydrate, rest. you can't EXORCISE the condition away with EXERCISE. set yourself up for success, not failure.

the main thing is to commit to never drinking again. period. no matter what. do that perfectly and the rest will follow.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

. Maybe I can physically overcome detox by pushing my body to failure?
that has to be one of the most insane things i have read.
what you can do is physically push yourself to failure as in death.

detox/withdrawl is NOT treated with physical exercise.
please see your doctor or go to a detox facility.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah. I was thinking about doing Crossfit.

The problem is, the last time I tried to quit, my whole body cramped up and shook for a few minutes, and had to crawl to the kitchen and steal beer from my roommate at day 3. Maybe I can physically overcome detox by pushing my body to failure?
No! I have pretty extensive knowledge of human physiology/biochemistry. Depending on your age, moderate exercise and replenishing electrolytes would be fine. On the other hand, if it was just yesterday you were vomiting and defecating, your body is empty. There is nothing there, and strenuous exercise could be dangerous. I've tried it and learned the hard way, your recovery will take twice as long if you keep taxing your body day in and day out.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This made me think about an instance in Yosemite when I was living there in my 20's after a divorce. I was drinking at least a 12 pack a day because my friend's worked at the general store and would charge me for one beer.

There's a behemoth of a cliff called El Capitan, and a friend and I decided to climb it (climbing 20yrs). It was my first true multi-day rock climb, and I thought it was my fatigue, but I'd never tried taking a day off of drinking. Needless to say, hauling 200lbs up 3000' of granite is an undertaking, but I had to do it. I didn't even think to bring alcohol, and remember losing my mind, hallucinating and seizing up on some of the ledges early on, doing the most physically taxing thing I've ever done. I just thought my body was overworked from 20 hours of climbing and hauling a day for 5 days. I lost it and cried, shaking in a place 2000' up where there's a chimney called the Texas flake. My legs cramped up, and a fall would have been fatal. After 3 days of hell, we took a rest day at camp 6. We only had 500 or so feet left to go. I felt at peace. I felt healthy, but tired. I was young (28yo). We made it.

Little did I know I was detoxing through the whole climb. I definitely don't want to do it that way, but with my feet on the ground, I feel I can push myself and sweat it out while monitoring my physiological state. I think it helps with getting rid of alcohol from your system, but your neuropathways are still compromised. Anyhow... that was something I'd just thought about I wanted to share.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

enjoyed your last post. IMO, exercising has saved my life. If it wasn't for developing and sticking to an exercise program, alcohol what of put me in the grave a long time ago. Besides helping to limit my drinking to a certain extent, it also helped to rid my body of alcohol. Looking back, it's amazing how much I could drink, yet keep up on my workout routine. Pretty much a gym rat. Really don't know how I did it. Now that I'm older, working out still helps me to stay sober, but drinking has a bigger affect on it. It's frustrating, but it takes me longer to get my workout program back to where it was if I am drinking. Just not worth it. Priorities. John