SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I need advise on fixing my red face. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/411294-i-need-advise-fixing-my-red-face.html)

Jacklbc562 06-16-2017 08:24 PM

I need advise on fixing my red face.

My face is super red and it's obviously from the 12 years of binge drinking i have been doing. No visible capillaries or swolleness, just a really red glow that turns heads wherever i go. Also pretty big open pores on my nose. I have decided to quit drinking completely because of this and that should make it subside eventually but please is there someone who had this same issue? Any over the counter pills i can take or topical creams i can use to help. And how long did it take after quitting drinking for the redness to calm down? I would really appreciate any advise or hear your story on how to fix a red face. Thank You.

FreedomCA 06-16-2017 08:36 PM

Maybe see how it looks after 6 months of sobriety.

Dee74 06-16-2017 08:38 PM

Hi Jacklbc :)

I think most people find it lessens with time (and abstinence). Try and be patient and let your body repair itself. :)

If in a few weeks or months it's not lessening with time and you've been sober, then maybe your doctor or even a dermatologist would be the next step?

D

Mizzuno 06-16-2017 08:59 PM

Do you have an a condition that has not been diagnosed? Like, Roseacea? Have you seen a doctor about this?

PhoenixJ 06-16-2017 09:24 PM

Stop drinking, hydrate, deit- see a doctor. Do not do onver t/c drugs- self medicating is dangerous. Support to you.

Jacklbc562 06-16-2017 09:41 PM

Yes i have seen a dermatologist and she diagnosed me with rosacea. Taking doxycycline because a bump started growing on my nose but it's almost gone now and soolantra cream for the bump and mirvaso gel for redness that doesn't really help.

Dee74 06-16-2017 10:02 PM

In that case, I would expect things to improve once you've stopped drinking. How long has it been now Jacklbc?

D

JK130 06-16-2017 10:17 PM

Another thought is to take a pic now, and periodically as you stay away from alcohol. I bet you'll be able to see a difference over time! Seeing a doctor and going sober foreshadow good things on the way for you.

Jacklbc562 06-16-2017 11:13 PM

Not even 48 hours. I drank Wednesday night into Thursday morning around 2am i'm guessing. I noticed the redness and bump on my nose in march and so i stopped drinking from March 12th to April 12th but i didn't notice any change within that month. If anything it got worse but with more of rosacea like symptoms rather then a red glow like it is now. For example my face would explode redness if i ate any hot foods or avocado. So I went to a dermatologist and got the creams and doxycyclin for the bump and learned all my triggers so i wouldn't get any rosacea flair ups anymore and the bump was going away so i started drinking again. Now for some reason I can eat hot foods and avocado with out anything happening to my face but now it's just red all day every day. It's very strange.

Dee74 06-16-2017 11:15 PM

I hope not drinking will bring you improvement, and not just in the red face area either :)

D

Jacklbc562 06-16-2017 11:33 PM

Thanks. I have to stop drinking or it will get worse but i'm worried that it won't get better or back to normal.

Meraviglioso 06-17-2017 12:11 AM

Give it time. When I quit drinking I went to see a dermatologist for other issues, she also diagnosed me with rosacea. I used the creams she prescribed and stayed away from alcohol and within months people were telling me left and right how great my skin looked.

sugarbear1 06-17-2017 06:31 AM

If you choose to continue to drink, everything can get worse and can get permanent.....

If you stop drinking, most likely everything will just get nicer to deal with and your condition will be managed well!

Congratulations on 48 hours of sobriety!!!! That is amazing! Keep moving forward!

Verdantia 06-17-2017 06:59 AM

Hey, there. I had severe rosacea that also affected my eyes. I was taking doycycline too; nothing helped much until I stopped drinking. The redness and bumps did not go away overnight but they started to improve very quickly. It took about 6 months to resolve completely for me. Of course an improved complexion was not the only benefit of quitting drink! 48 hours is an awesome start-keep going and watch your rosacea improve.

Mizzuno 06-17-2017 07:04 AM

Are you keeping a food diary?
Wearing sunscreen?
Wearing a hat when in the sun?

I am sure that you are taking every measure possible. You are in a flare up right now? I am sorry that you are going through this. These types of situations do not help with confidence and feeling secure physically.

PurpleKnight 06-17-2017 07:21 AM

For me it took years to dig myself into all sorts of health issues by drinking, and so it was going to take more than a few days to dig myself out and heal.

The body is a great piece of kit, it can repair and rejuvenate itself, but it needs the chance to do it!! :)

Jacklbc562 06-17-2017 11:58 AM

Yeah i have a food diary. Yeah i wear sunscreen. No i don't own any hats but i do a decent job at avoiding the sun in general. Rosacea flair ups with food aren't currently an issue. I can eat my trigger foods and nothing happens but i'm just glowing red all the time now. When before i wasn't that red in till i did something active or got hot or eat my trigger foods.

I totally understand i need much more time without drinking to see any sort of progress, not just with my face but my health in general so i definitely appreciate the support. I hope it does get better with time and isn't at the permanent stage.

Outonthetiles 06-17-2017 01:03 PM

My face was really red. It took a long to return to normal, probably a year if not more. You didn't destroy your skin overnight and you won't fix it overnight. Creams and stuff won't work. That's topical stuff for rosacia. Only complete abstinence from alcohol will correct it.

poolside 06-17-2017 01:26 PM

I had that issue the last few years of my drinking career. It got pretty bad. To be fair, I turn red when I eat spicy food or get excited/angry or when I spend too much time in the sun, but most of it was alcohol-induced. When I quit drinking this past January (147 days), the redness and "flushed" feeling went away in a few weeks. You need to stop drinking.

poolside 06-17-2017 01:28 PM

Edit: duplicate