Notices

getting increasingly worried

Old 06-16-2017, 07:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreedomCA View Post
Maybe try some form of exercise, that really has helped me get 8 days.
I'm an exercise nut when I'm not drinking. John
Old 06-16-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

John,
you say AA is only a tool...maybe so.
seems you're in dire need of tools, though, and then the action of actually using them.
there are other tools, too, such as AVRT.
or counseling or medical help or...if you do not wish to actually use the available tools, then...what?

there is no magic.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
tomsteve, I've checked on other recovery programs in my area but the only one is AA. I have no problem with AA, but I know as a new person they will ask me if I have a sponsor and have gone through the steps. If I'm honest with them (and I hate lieing), that always leads to problems. I'll keep looking. John
theres a great thing about it leading to problems- they wont be YOUR problems. those problems will be the people asking.
and you are allowed to set boundaries in AA and stand up for you.

ya know, a simple answer to anyone who asks if you have a sponsor or if youve worked the steps:
"its not your business"
and dont engage any more. let em whirl.

however, a new person shouldnt be asked if theyve worked the steps.
theyre kinda new, so probably havent.
if a new person is asked if they have a sponsor, its out of love- people know the steps are better understood with the guidance of someone who has been through the steps.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Don't know what would remove the fear that is holding me back.

If you mean AA; that's only a tool. John
welp, alcohol is only a tool,too. a tool to destroy
i have a rolling toolchest full of tools and quite a few stationary power tools,too.
nothing gets built or repaired unless i use them.

wanna combat fear? get some courage:

All these feelings generate fear- a soul sickness in itself

"Fear knocked at the door.faith answered. No one was there." i dont know to who this quote should be attributed, but it certainly indicates clearly that fear is an illusion. i create the illusion myself.

i experienced fear early in my lifeand i mistakenly thought that the mere presence of it made me a coward. i didnt know that one of the definitions of "courage" is " the willingness to do the right thing in spite of fear." courage,then is not necessarily the absence of fear.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

John,
I am not in AA but I have had experience with AA in the past.
Working the steps and getting a sponsor is up to you. Its no ones business what you are doing and how far along you have come with the program. If AA sounds like something that you would like to do then just go and sit in a meeting. Listen, drink the overly strong coffee, and eat the cookies provided. You do not have to engage with anyone. You do not have to "share". You can create any boundary you would like.

You can also use this forum, use exercise, use a book or anything of your choosing as a tool to get sober. You already know all of this. You have done it before and you can do it again.

I dont know what set you off down this road to drink? Our mind can say just about anything it wants. What I do know is that your actions after the thoughts are making or breaking your sober road....... you already know this.

Rooting for you to get back to sobriety and get on with your life. If that is what you want?
Old 06-17-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey John, you can do this, it's no fun going round in circles, the alcohol merry-go-round can seem never ending, and eventually our health isn't invincible.

The volunteering sounds good, but think of it this way, your summer is yours, YOU get to decide how you spend it and it can be as enjoyable and fulfilling as you want to make it, that's the power you have in your own life, looking back over these few months you can create something memorable away from the limbo of drinking and TV, I know which one you'll get most from.

You can do this!!
Old 06-17-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Fear is a tough thing to overcome. But sometimes you just got to take a chance and do some of things you are most fearful of. I think it's okay to explore those fears and ask yourself what you are MOST afraid will happen if such and such occurs.

Example: Afraid to go to an AA meeting because afraid of what the people there will think and/or say; how they will treat you; questions they would ask.

I've gathered you have a tendency to isolate from people. Ever wonder why that is? Do they just get on your nerves? Are you afraid of what they will think of you? Do you get irritated by what other people say? Or is it mainly fear? So what if people look at you. Who cares what they think? And if they say something or ask you something, have a ready response. It's perfectly acceptable to say, for example: " I don't have a sponsor and don't know if I even want one. I'm here to listen and absorb right now." THAT'S OKAY.

See I think part of the problem in interracting with others is the "expectations" we think they'll have of us. But, you sort of need to toss that aside and just know what it is you need to do for yourself. Open your heart and mind to the possibilities. You might hear just the thing you need to hear at the time...