Notices

Support

Old 06-14-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Support

I have been drinking almost everyday for 10 years. 4 Days ago I just quit. I still think about drinking especially in the evening because that's when I always drank. I swear on day 4 I feel like a pregnant woman. I hate the smell of alit of things even my own clothes and body. I am sweating all the time and I hate to sweat. I take a cold shower, I mean cold, come out and still hit and sweating. I am not able to eat that much as once. Is all of this normal? I also take pressure pills and don't want to use a drug to get over this. I'm doing this with God. But are these feelings normal?
Old 06-14-2017, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Everybody reacts a little differently to withdrawing from alcohol, but I've certainly heard of your symptoms before. If you continue to be concerned about them, go see a doctor. Alcohol withdrawals are a very serious business.

And welcome to SR! There's a ton of great support to be found here. I highly suggest joining the Class of June 2017 thread found on this same forum. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are newly sober. Congratulations on choosing a better way of life in recovery!
Old 06-14-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR storm. Glad to hear you have decided to quit drinking and congrats on 4 days sober. Regarding the symptoms you are going through, it's definitely normal to be uncomfortable during withdrawal, but if you have specific health concerns it's best to check with a doctor, especially if you are on other meds. Quitting cold turkey after 10 years of hard drinking is a big shock to the system. You'll find a lot of support here so I hope you can stay with us for a while.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.

I also take pressure pills and don't want to use a drug to get over this.
I don't understand this. Are the pills for blood pressure? If so, they shouldn't be discontinued without your doctor's ok.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Seems like your staying strong and working through the withdrawal period. Stick with it!
Old 06-14-2017, 09:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Sounds similar to my experience. I could not eat for several days because my stomach was wrecked. I felt hungry, thought I could eat a horse, but one or two mouths full was all I could manage.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Storm
Glad to have you join us - there's a ton of support here

All that sounds pretty normal to me - of course if you're concerned you can always see your Dr?

D
Old 06-14-2017, 11:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!!!! I feel very welcomed and I know that I can open up here. I will continue to do this cold 🦃. Keep me in your prayers and please don't hesitate to give advice on ways to work around the symptoms.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm on day 39 ,

I drank every day for 20 years ,

I too had the sweats it lasted for about a week it seemed worse at nights I would wake up and the bed clothes was wet through.

It will pass , keep going 4 days is great.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Storm,

I sweated for days, sweated and itched and couldn't sleep.

Well done on four days, keep pushing through and you'll feel like a new person just as soon as your body becomes acclimatised to a healthier way of being.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Storm36 View Post
I have been drinking almost everyday for 10 years. 4 Days ago I just quit. I still think about drinking especially in the evening because that's when I always drank. I swear on day 4 I feel like a pregnant woman. I hate the smell of alit of things even my own clothes and body. I am sweating all the time and I hate to sweat. I take a cold shower, I mean cold, come out and still hit and sweating. I am not able to eat that much as once. Is all of this normal? I also take pressure pills and don't want to use a drug to get over this. I'm doing this with God. But are these feelings normal?
Good job for quitting!!! I too went cold turkey and went through what you describe (and much more- I was very, very sick when I quit). It will pass with time, but it won't pass unless you stay sober.

Have you thought about a program? I am an AA-er and did about 82 mtgs in 90 days, regardless of how sick I was.

Hope to see you around here.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome...doc?
Old 06-15-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Would you benefit from seeing your doctor?

It all sounds rather normal to me but I am only one person with an opinion. When I quit I had a lot happening physically and within a week i was back to normal.

Stay close. Keep posting.