Notices

AV ambush

Old 06-14-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AV ambush

Day 11 and getting through the work day pretty well without cravings. except when I go to the break room, how strange is that? I think it's because when I'm at my desk I'm focused on my work, but when I leave it I'm free to think of the evening, the weekend, all of that personal time that used to revolve around alcohol and I get a quick AV sneak attack. I know as time goes on I'll lose that association of personal time = alcohol, after all, the behavior has been long ingrained.
Anyone else have strange times / places that trigger cravings?
Old 06-14-2017, 04:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was just visiting my grandma who's in the hospital and she was asking me to smuggle her in some booze, which I, of course, refused because she's on medication and has already had a fall which is what landed her in the hospital. The whole situation really set my AV off though and I couldn't get the thought of drinking myself off my mind for the rest of the afternoon. I practice AVRT though and the AV is seen as neither good nor bad, just thoughts to be recognized and ignored. In the beginning, I found it helpful to distract myself when those thoughts came up. I went for a lot of walks and got interested in new hobbies and I spent a lot of time on SR reading. It gets easier as the time starts racking up.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Lascaux,
My AV would kick in for just about anything. Staying busy was important to not thinking about it. I always drank beer when I cut grass. I don't know how many times I got half the yard mowed sober and had to go in the house till I got a grip on things. Found it best to avoid the things that set me off. Try to ease back into things as a feel ready. Maybe don't take breaks and get a big raise😀 Your doing well my friend
Old 06-14-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I could find a reason to drink at anything, so early on triggers were everywhere. Day by day you start breaking those bonds and its gets easier and easier. We must remain vigilant, but its calming to be able to trust ourselves.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Early on my AV never kicked out. No wonder I was exhausted all the time.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you beat the trigger Lascaux - it gets easier with time and practice

D