Notices

My first horrible craving..

Old 06-14-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first horrible craving..

6 days clean and sober today.
This morning I was walking on sunshine with all the good feelings I had.

I had to stop at the apartment office for something, after work. Right out the back of the offices is the pool. The manager said "It's an alcohol fest today"
I went to see how crowded it was and saw people everywhere drinking, swimming, laughing. I had to leave. It shook me so hard
I wanted to be one of them so badly. Everyone enjoying themselves having beers in the pool with friends.
I came home and logged on here.
I'm reading, reading, reading and won't drink today.
But I sure want to
Old 06-14-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good job getting out of that situation and telling on your addiction here. Think that drink thru to the bitter end. One drink leads to two leads to six leads to ten leads to problem after problem. You deserve the rewards of sobriety today! Stick close, post once a minute if you need to, make sure you're not hungry and stay hydrated.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for getting out of there. Those intense feelings can strike out of nowhere - for me, it was often hearing a particular song. You did the best thing and you know that each time the cravings will get easier. You're doing great!
Old 06-14-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi FeelingL0st...might help to remind yourself of all the reasons you chose sobriety and all of the pain, anxiety, fear etc that alcohol and drugs created for you. Then think of what you stand to gain from sobriety...your hopes, dreams, plans and goals...would you give all these up for an afternoon drinking around a pool? Good job on getting out of there...keep going 💜

Nova x
Old 06-14-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You have no idea how good I felt knowing I could log in and post this.
I already feel better. Am making dinner and drinking ice cold water.
I will NOT drink today. I will NOT pick up.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's awful when the cravings hit.
Not just hit, but WHACK.
Good job, you.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you got out of there with your sobriety intact. Stay sober and eventually those situations won't bother you so much. I noticed at about six months, I wasn't having cravings to drink anymore. It gets better. Keep on truckin'.

What bothers me about those 'alcohol fests' is that the people there drinking will go home, and many of them will be driving after drinking. Count yourself lucky you're not among those people.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingL0st View Post
You have no idea how good I felt knowing I could log in and post this.
I already feel better. Am making dinner and drinking ice cold water.
I will NOT drink today. I will NOT pick up.
So pleased SR helped you feel better 😊 Btw I have been doing some action steps tonight from my 30 Day programme and it says that research indicates that the subconscious mind does not recognise words like 'don't' 'not' etc but will just hear 'drink' 'alcohol' 'pick-up' so it recommends reframing to positive statements like 'I will remain sober' 'I will embrace sobriety' etc...anyway I found it helpful x
Old 06-14-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, in early sobriety that type of scenario would have induced FOMO (fear of missing out) cravings and shook me to the core. Now, that I have years of sobriety under my belt, that type scenario doesn't interest me whatsoever. If anything it sounds horrible. Why would I want to stand around a pool in a bathing suit putting horrible toxins into my body that are going to make me feel sick the next day?

It really does get easier and easier with time. Good job on removing yourself from that situation.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's a pain. I just passed one year, and this summer is harder because last, I was still in shell shock. It's easier now to think, ok, I've got this.

My condo has a pool, too. alcohol is not allowed, but that's just a rule; everyone drinks out of cups/mugs/stainless steel. I just want to partake. stay strong.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you came here instead.
Early recovery is hard, but it will get easier I promise - you're doing well

D
Old 06-15-2017, 12:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You did the right thing by coming on here and walking away from the alcohol fest, even if your brain was telling you it would be fun..it will end up in a slippery slope downwards, not so much fun..
You can do this..