# 1 (permalink)  

gabapentin

Just got prescribed, any experiences?
Old 06-14-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nopers! I hope it works for you though!
Old 06-14-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I take 600g. / 3x day..prescribed for neuropathy in feet, (due to long term alcoholism) it's prescribed for just about everything under the sun. it's classified as an anti-sezuire med and to treat nerve pain. it's also prescribed off label to treat depression/anxiety, insomnia and other things. I have read that it's sometimes used in detox facilities to treat withdrawals. it helped me a lot especially with sleeping among other things. google it, tons of info on it. I like it. I would consider mine a mediocre dose and had to build up to it. can I ask why you were prescribed it?
Old 06-14-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know a lot of alkies on it. Make sure you take as prescribed. Each of the folks I know on it has relapsed on gabapentin.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sorry...meant to say 600mg not grams. lots of old alkies have neuropathy. I will add that it's habit forming to put it nicely tho some doctors may tell you otherwise.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have an autoimmune condition and have had Lyme twice. I was taking about 1600 mgs daily. Since I got sober 4 years ago I gradually cut my dosage and this week when it ran out I was on such a low dosage I just ended it. I never felt buzzed or any sort of high off of it, it simply reduced my chronic nerve pain. Sleep issues and pain were the main contributing issues that I tried to address with alcohol. Since I have been sober and have gotten healthy a lot of those other issues dissipated.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Low dose

100mg in evening. I suffer from anxiety despite the addiction. I have more irritability and rage in the evenings and this is to help. Not a long term fix. Just to get me through the beginning. It works on difference levels of the brain then alcohol, so I'm not too afraid of becoming addicted.. my booze was more about the mania then numbing. Not using for sedative affect (hence low dose) but to help with my edgynes with my family.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I take it for anxiety, it does seem to help with that. however I wouldn't say it has decreased my desire for alcohol.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My anxiety increases my cravings.

Originally Posted by ZenButterfly View Post
I take it for anxiety, it does seem to help with that. however I wouldn't say it has decreased my desire for alcohol.
Trying to cope with the evenings, they are the only time I get ragey and super overwhelmed. Hopefully this will help. My cravings aren't too terrible now, but my stress is higher since I'm not drinking a bottle of wine.. hoping this will be a good aid for a few weeks while transitioning.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cocobeano View Post
Trying to cope with the evenings, they are the only time I get ragey and super overwhelmed. Hopefully this will help. My cravings aren't too terrible now, but my stress is higher since I'm not drinking a bottle of wine.. hoping this will be a good aid for a few weeks while transitioning.
Yes I do think that Gabapentin could be helpful for something like that. I also just got Campral and it seems to be helping with my anxiety in addition to being an anti craving drug so you could give that a whirl if the GP is not effective. I believe they both work on the GABA receptors in your brain and promote a feeling of calmness.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was on it for a little while for anxiety, but didn't really do much for me. It also is suppose to help with alcohol cravings.