Notices

Preparing for All Inclusive Resort

Old 06-14-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Preparing for All Inclusive Resort

Well I'm 37 days sober and husband and I had booked a non refundable trip to the Dominican Republic all inclusive resort. When I booked this trip all I could think about was endless alcohol, sleeping in and beach. Now I am thinking about rest, reading and eating. I would love any tips you may have about this type of thing. My husband thankfully is not a drinker but I know they are going to be trying to shove alcohol down our throughts. I'm going to need some words of wisdom here or tips. I feel fine today but I know it's going to be tough at times I think.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It will be tough everytime you will hang around the beach or any other facility of the resort. I've been to DR with a buddy and we drank non stop. Nobody shoved the booze down our throughts but even if I planned to stay sober for at least one day to "dry out" I failed. That means we were at the bar by 10 am ordering beers and cocktails.

I don't want to discourage you, but plan ahead. Take a big breakfast and hit the beach far away from the beach bar. Involve in animation such as voleyball. Spend 2-3 hours like that, take a shower and go to lunch. Make it quick and leave the hotel, have something planned every day.

I'm only 6 days sober this time and already had to go to a short trip to another city by plane with my GF. Airports and hotel rooms with minibars were my favourites to get loaded. I planned ahead and had a big meal to distract me, always had a bunch of soft drinks at my disposal to beat up the cravings. It all went well, yet I still felt miserable from time to time.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, jellybean. I have no personal experience of all inclusive vacays, but I know others who post here have done them sober and survived intact.
Hopefully, they will have advice for you.
I guess my only recommendation would be to keep busy and avoid the bars.
I like Adrian's advice about going to beaches vaway from the resort, but That sorta defeats the all inclusive idea.
Guard your sobriety. Plan not to drink, then don't drink.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

seems livin in N.C. so iffen ya wanted to rest,read, and eat,you could go to the ocean there. so why not look into what there
is to see in the DR? you want to spend a crapton of money to rest,read, and eat? or do you want to make memories?

get out and sightsee
go snorkeling/scuba diving
safari tour
santo domingo
Jarabacoa
and its quite simple to say,"no,thank you" or remove yourself from temptation.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If anyone tries to "shove drinks" on you, tell them firmly you Do Not Drink, and request that they stop asking. Don't be afraid to be rude, they'll be able to take it.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
under new management

no all inclusive experience either, but I have read on here about people requesting that the mini bar in the room be emptied for your stay. Maybe you can let the hotel know that you are non drinkers and don't want to be pressured to drink alcohol?

And agree with SparkleKitty, don't be afraid to come across rude. Make your needs known.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think you'll do fine as long as you keep your eye on the prize, which is your sobriety. Alcohol costs a lot of money, so I'm doubtful that the resort will be trying to force it on you - why would they if they could save it for another guest? Unless, of course, it's a spring break type of resort that typically caters to 20-somethings. I think it will also help that your husband isn't a big drinker.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
seems livin in N.C. so iffen ya wanted to rest,read, and eat,you could go to the ocean there. so why not look into what there
is to see in the DR? you want to spend a crapton of money to rest,read, and eat? or do you want to make memories?

get out and sightsee
go snorkeling/scuba diving
safari tour
santo domingo
Jarabacoa
and its quite simple to say,"no,thank you" or remove yourself from temptation.
This 👍👍👍

Enjoy your holiday jellybean80 🌞🌞🌞
Old 06-14-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would take the loss, and stay home to read, rest, and eat.

In good times and bad, I've always put my sobriety first, even if it meant a monetary loss or "missing out".

Kind Regards.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If nothing else, you're going to find out how important your sobriety is to you. I don't doubt you can do it. I would do a lot of mental preparation and visualizing on how you will spend your days and how you will handle various situations.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm at 59 days, and in the same boat, have an AI holiday in 12 days time. I'm determined not to drink. The only way I'm dealing with it is thinking of all of the reasons I don't want to drink, I don't want to ruin a family holiday. I've done a few AI holidays but this will be the first one sober, I would like to think there will be a wide variety of nice non-alcoholic drinks. I will definitely be taking advantage of lots of different food on offer, which is something I look forward to!! I hope you have a lovely holiday would love to go to Dominican.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Also as other people have suggested and what I plan also, having lots of amazing new experiences lined up, and relish them sober!
Old 06-14-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
quat

I've never been to an all inclusive pricing resort. But every vacation I ever went on was 'all inclusive', in that it was vacation and I got /bought/did what I wanted , yeah ?
I don't drink anymore, on vacation either.
The AV is latching onto the phrase 'all inclusive' and trying to give the phrase some kind of power. It's really just a pricing tool, maybe not the best deal for teetotalers, but I'm sure the resort and the amenities will be enjoyable.
Ask that your room be alcohol free ( they will love it, saves them money ), you don't drink, yeah ?
Enjoy , beach , reading ,rest sounds wonderful
Old 06-14-2017, 09:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the best decision is not to go - but if that's really not an option, make sure you have a good recovery plan.

Think about all the things that may tempt you or ambush you and be ready.

This is a good help for social occasions:
Newcomer's Daily Support Threads - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

An escape plan is vital too - if things get too hot, leave.

and remember - it's the first drink that gets us into trouble, not the last. Don't take that first drink and you'll be fine

D
Old 06-14-2017, 11:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I go to all inclusive resorts a couple times a year (never while sober). I was talking to my wife about this the other day because she's worried we won't be able to go anymore since I'm pretty newly sober. I know this is just putting a band-aid on the problem, but I think next time we go, I will get a prescription for Antabuse. It eliminates the possibility of drinking which will put her mind at ease, and if I know that drinking is absolutely not an option (without getting real sick) I won't have to be fighting it all week.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi jellybean. Ive just been on an all inclusive holiday. Spent a lot of time thinking about it and getting myself mentally prepared before I went. I kept reminding myself that the soda is free, the coffee is free, the water is free too. It was a family friendly hotel but yes people were drinking all around me (includimg my partner). I think the thing that got me through (yes I made It!) was that I didn't want to throw away 6 hard earned weeks and ruin the holiday for my girls. It CAN be done..... I'm nothing special amd i did it. If you want sobrriety enough you will find a way. Keep vigilant, get your mind prepared and most of all ENJOY A SOBER HOLIDAY! You'll never regret it ❤❤❤❤
Old 06-15-2017, 05:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This is all fantastic advice ! I will make sure to have plans made. My husband was looking at snorkeling and other adventures (usually i would say no to anything but drinking). I have been married for 11 years and honestly feel like I've distanced myself from him for the last 4. Wine was my everything. Strangely enough as I e been sober I'm staring to see him for the man I fell in love with. It's like I'm meeting him again. I feel like this trip may be a great way to show him I'm in it for the long haul and make memories with him. He has been our families strength for so long. I would pass out or be sick or just be a mean bitch and he would still love me and take care of our family. I'm happy for this forum. I may need to post as I'm there. I appreciate the tips, they are more helpful than you could imagine. I appreciate it
Old 06-15-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

although i havent been snorkeling, i know quite a few people that have gone on vacation and done it. every single one said it was awesome.
just lookin online, it looks like theres some amazing sites to see in the DR.

i second posting while your there! we like pictures,too!!
Old 06-15-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I would suggest taking good care of yourself while on the vacation. If you don't, you become more susceptible to drinking. I relapsed on my last vacation because I was tired and grumpy one day. For now on I am choosing vacations that allow me to sleep in and not be up too early.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

All good advice - one more thing I'd suggest is to stay hydrated, don't get too hungry, get plenty of rest. If you allow yourself to get tired, thirsty, or hungry, the booze will seem like an easy "fix." Take care of your basic needs and it will help.