SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Turned my life around (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/411118-turned-my-life-around.html)

Femaleboss1980 06-12-2017 02:00 PM

Turned my life around

Exactly what the title says:

Ditched wine altogether 4 weeks plus
Joined gym 2nd week done
9 classes in 6 days plus weight training on top (i start my day with a 630am class)
If i deserve a drink i have 3 max G&T (or soda water n lime)
Ive stopped taking my Anti D dr advice she advised me to go back in 7 days but not needed (at present 3/4 weeks)
I feel amazing
I knew/know i could limit myself i was told it wasnt possible by majority on SR and thats fine some can some cant i get that (its early and i know relapse could happen)
Spoke to nurses and drs at my local surgery they all say the same you ditch an addiction for another mine is getting fit
Im positive on turning my life around and staying there
Just thought id pop in for an update

I hope everyone is well and wish you all success and happiness there is light at the end of our dark tunnel

Hugs x

SnazzyDresser 06-12-2017 02:19 PM

good job, Femaleboss!

hmm, I just saw the ditching wine for 4 weeks, didn't see the "deserving some gin and tonics" part.

ChloeRose63 06-12-2017 02:21 PM

Thanks for the inspiration!

Hevyn 06-12-2017 02:25 PM

I'm glad you're feeling great & positive Femaleboss.

I don't want to reiterate the usual comments on the implausibility of long term moderation. When I tried it I did have success for a while, but ended up drinking more than I intended & eventually had to stop all together. But that's just my experience.

I'm happy things are going so well for you - thank you for the update. :)

Mizzuno 06-12-2017 02:44 PM

Great work on the gym and getting a routine going.

I wish you the best of luck in this moderation journey. I think it is too early on to see if this is sustainable. I went back to your first post and I see that you were on a few bottles of wine at a time. Switching your choice of drink does not necessarily do much after awhile. Also, the "deserve a drink" part is questionable?

Just coming from someone who has battled this monster for years on end. Sometimes it was "manageable" but at the end it was a complete disaster. We all gotta do what we gotta do. Nothing changes if nothing changes, ya know?

Stay close. You just may be the one who can drink in moderation. Have you re-read your previous posts?

Maudcat 06-12-2017 03:02 PM

Glad you are taking care of yourself, FB. You sound great!

Dee74 06-12-2017 03:49 PM

I was determined not to be an alcoholic and not stop drinking too.

I tried the substituting my favourite drink for another kind of alcohol I really didn't like.

Didn't 'work' for long though.

I do understand - you really want it to work.
I remember that desperation too.

If it's what you want, I hope it works for you long term and forever more FemaleBoss.

If not, you know where we are :)

D

Verdantia 06-12-2017 03:53 PM

Glad it's going so well for you, Femaleboss. I have never been able to moderate my drinking (and heaven knows I tried,) but I certainly wish you all the best at it. I just do not have an off switch when it comes to drink. The idea of 'deserving a drink' does set off alarm bells for me, though. Getting fit has helped me a lot, too....no booze, cycling, Pilates and yoga have all helped me greatly, and I've lost 40 lbs. Thanks to lots of hard work and the help of the good advice, support and people at SR I will have 18 months of sobriety on the 23rd. I don't ever want to feel as if I can drink again, because I know those thoughts are lies and will kill me if I give in to them.

Anna 06-12-2017 04:09 PM

I hope that you decide to stop drinking.

HTown 06-12-2017 04:30 PM

Deserving a drink, or drinking as my reward; that sounds very familiar to me. Alcohol is not a reward. I used to believe that, but not anymore. 3 drinks at one time is still more than is recommended for a woman health-wise. I am glad you feel good, why not just give up the alcohol? Should be easy. Why not 6 months then re-assess?

CreativeThinker 06-12-2017 05:03 PM

I used to drink and workout regularly too. What I found is that my workouts are a lot more effective when I'm not drinking.

tnek97 06-12-2017 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by HTown (Post 6495536)
Deserving a drink, or drinking as my reward; that sounds very familiar to me. Alcohol is not a reward. I used to believe that, but not anymore. 3 drinks at one time is still more than is recommended for a woman health-wise. I am glad you feel good, why not just give up the alcohol? Should be easy. Why not 6 months then re-assess?

Same here. I could always find a reason to "deserve" a drink. It's just twisted logic that has been made that way by years of drinking a mind altering substance. I finally see that now.

time2shineagain 06-12-2017 05:31 PM

Well done on the lifestyle change FemaleBoss!

Femaleboss1980 06-16-2017 07:56 AM

Thank you still going strong wish you all well i actually cannot contemplate alcohol when im seeing what calories are in it !! Wow
Friday afternoon here in UK im off to gym at 6 instead of sat watching soaps with a drink its weird but i dont miss it

(Yes yes its early days im blonde not stupid lol)

Have a great evening x

Femaleboss1980 06-16-2017 07:59 AM

Ps with regards to 'deserve' i mean i work damn hard running my business sigle hand and still finding time for gym walking my dogs and friends/family life so yes i do deserve a treat a week whether its a drink or a mini take away i deserve it :)

Ruhroh 06-16-2017 09:40 AM

Hats off to you......I think I'll go reread chapter 3 of the Big Book as I'm very early in recovery