SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Will I ever enjoy a rock concert again? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/411098-will-i-ever-enjoy-rock-concert-again.html)

Red78 06-11-2017 10:40 PM

Will I ever enjoy a rock concert again?

Is there anyone here that now goes to rock/metal gigs sober? And if so, is it the same as what it was when drunk. I think about doing this, and wonder will I actually enjoy doing that anymore, I associate it with drinking and partying..

Dee74 06-11-2017 10:45 PM

I don't get to concerts much now because my legs won't hold me up for hours but I enjoy them when I can.

I enjoy playing music again too - I can sit down for that.

It's about the music now, not getting wasted.
and I remember it all :)

I stayed away from them for a while tho, until I was sure I wanted - preferred - being sober.

Give it time, Red :)

D

sobersue1984 06-12-2017 12:14 AM

I was on antibiotics a while back when seeing Maiden live. Best ever gig \m/

Red78 06-12-2017 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by sobersue1984 (Post 6494727)
I was on antibiotics a while back when seeing Maiden live. Best ever gig \m/

Would've been awesome to see them live..
I guess sober I can remember the whole concert..I'm never sure if I don't remember it all cause of sensory overload or because I'm drinking, if I go sober I will know..

Purplrks3647 06-12-2017 02:50 AM

I've been having the same concerns too, Red. But the last show I went to was in March - I was sober and it was the best experience! I also have tickets to see Green Day in September and I plan on doing that one sober too - having lots of coffee, though! :headbang:

tomsteve 06-12-2017 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Red78 (Post 6494675)
Is there anyone here that now goes to rock/metal gigs sober? And if so, is it the same as what it was when drunk. I think about doing this, and wonder will I actually enjoy doing that anymore, I associate it with drinking and partying..

ive been to a few concerts sober.
they absolutely were NOT the same as when i was drunk. they were even better.
HOWEVER
i didnt go to a concert until i was 2+ years sober.
metallica in july with my son comin up.

mejorando 06-12-2017 04:27 AM

I have definitely partaken in concerts sober and enjoyed them. They havenīt yet been a trigger for drinking or using but Iīve always kept myself mindful of that.

I was told that if I go somewhere to leave myself an out in case I need to get out of there. Lyft/Uber, a ride, bring a vehicle, bus, etc.

MidnightBlue 06-12-2017 09:35 AM

I went to Depeche Mode concert a couple of years ago.

Enjoyed it a lot.

Didn't miss alcohol a bit.

SoberLifeForMe 06-12-2017 10:09 AM

I went on a road trip with my brother at almost three months sober to an out-of-state concert. I told him up front that I stopped drinking. He didn't drink much to begin with, and he has his own health concerns and stopped drinking because of them, so he didn't think twice when I told him. He didn't even ask why! (It's amazing how I always thought everyone cared if I drank or not.)

I can honestly say it was one of the best concert experiences I've ever had. I've seen better shows, to be honest, but the entire trip, talking with my brother, remembering everything, and not feeling like garbage the next morning, words really can't describe how much better it all was compared to some of the shows I've seen in the past where I was out of control from my booze consumption.

You won't regret seeing a concert sober.

Tynesider22 06-12-2017 11:36 AM

I remind myself that when I was first starting going to concerts, I was sober, the drinking came later.

I try and get a seat now if I can and just enjoy the band, plus drinks at gigs are very expensive anyway. I'd rather buy a t-shirt or some merch, something to remember the night by.

jv369 06-12-2017 11:38 AM

i love concerts when i am sober! i'm going to see tool on thursday, then in a few months i am seeing kings of leon, arcade fire, linkin park and roger waters. i am looking forward to it all.

for me, i was far too wasted and sick all the time to even bother with concerts. on the few occasions i did go to one i found myself more concerned about keeping the buzz going and the withdrawals at bay then i was about the music. being sober i can take it all in and remember everything to boot!

Red78 06-12-2017 03:05 PM

When I think about doing it I guess I'm more worried that my partner won't enjoy me being sober as he will want to get wasted and get in the mosh pit and I'm not sure that I will enjoy a mosh pit sober..

Red78 06-12-2017 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by jv369 (Post 6495253)
i love concerts when i am sober! i'm going to see tool on thursday, then in a few months i am seeing kings of leon, arcade fire, linkin park and roger waters. i am looking forward to it all.

for me, i was far too wasted and sick all the time to even bother with concerts. on the few occasions i did go to one i found myself more concerned about keeping the buzz going and the withdrawals at bay then i was about the music. being sober i can take it all in and remember everything to boot!

Wow, some awesome concerts coming up for you.. Tool will be awesome..

Red78 06-12-2017 03:29 PM

I've been to concerts when I'm not wasted but never without a drop of alcohol eexcept for 1998 when I saw Marilyn Manson, soulfly and korn at a festival..the experience was cool but I felt very uncomfortable in my own skin with everyone wasted around me, I certainly felt I was missing out..

Dee74 06-12-2017 03:51 PM

I felt very uncomfortable in my own skin with everyone wasted around me, I certainly felt I was missing out..
Yeah. Which is why a few of us have suggested you wait a while.

I went back to things like this when I no longer felt I would be missing out by staying sober.

D

jv369 06-12-2017 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Red78 (Post 6495484)
Wow, some awesome concerts coming up for you.. Tool will be awesome..

that they will. i saw them last time they came to vancouver in 2007 and was pretty blown away, i was sober at the time too!

i do agree with others to trust your gut and avoid concerts for now if you think it will be uncomfortable. i know what to expect and i know i will have a good time, but don't test your sobriety needlessly. you will enjoy those concerts sober at some point though, just stay the course

hellrzr 06-12-2017 07:38 PM

Just last Friday I went to Metallica!!! I am almost 5 years sober and this is only the second concert I've been too in that time. Last August I went to Slipknot with an AA buddy.

The guys I went to Metallica were drinkers but I work with one of them and he knows I don't drink and he was really nice and took lots of water and even made sure that I wouldn't be bothered if they drank around me. I told him I was fine and I was. They really didn't drink much because they are normal drinkers, not like me. They actually just had a few and stopped where I would not have. I will say that afterwards it's very eye opening to see all the drunks stumbling around and can barely talk. I went from finding it funny to sad in a short time.

Before you go make it known that you don't drink. Don't apologize for it and don't explain it, just let it be what it is.... you don't drink. Do some praying and ask God for strength to help you through. Also, any "weirdness" you may feel is just you. Normal drinkers really won't care if you drink or not. It's pretty much all in your head if you think they do.

marylandbethany 06-12-2017 07:53 PM

Hi, Red!

It's so hard to imagine going to a concert sober...especially when everyone else seems to be drunk and having a good time.

Personally, I never go to concerts because I'm short and can never see anything (ha!). I can definitely see how going sober can really help you appreciate the music though.

Red78 06-12-2017 08:27 PM

Hellrzr - super impressed you can go to both slipknot and metallica sober.. Would've been awesome concerts..
Maybe I can do this.. I don't go to a lot of concerts, would be more if I lived in one of the bigger cities in NZ, but I love them.. and if you guys can do it, then so can I..

esinger 06-12-2017 08:36 PM

They're actually better sober. I've been to probably in the hundreds of concerts drunk and high and my recollection is minimal. When your sober , your senses are much more acute hence the experience is much more enjoyable. That's if you can ignore the annoying drunk and high people. lol