Notices

When did you stop thinking about it?

Old 06-13-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
For me, at a certain point, after being separated from the "high" of booze for a while, I sort of physiologically "forgot" how it felt, and reason and logic were able to replace cravings and thoughts of drinking. I still stay focused on my recovery but instead of thinking about drinking, my thoughts are focused on how badly I can mess up my life if I were to start drinking again, and how horrible the withdrawals felt. I know longer have any positive subconscious associations with alscohol.

Maybe you never stop thinking about it...that's not so bad as long as the thoughts are about how harmful it is and how close you came to fouling up your life by drinking.
Pretty much exactly the same for me. I really don't have any romantic thoughts about drinking anymore. If thoughts that it might be nice to have a drink do creep in (very rare) they are very quickly replaced by a mental image of myself in a jail cell. Nothing remotely fun or romantic about that. I can also see the very positive effects of not drinking, not just the negative things that happened and could happen again. I think that's when the obsession really started to lift - when I could see how good life was without it. That took a little while to really sink in.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Not sure if it every goes completely away, but it will lessen significantly as time goes by. I look at the obsession as one more good reason to simply quit. It made me angry that a substance was controlling over 50% of my thoughts daily.