Notices

Im going to give this an honest go.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im going to give this an honest go.

I have half a bottle of rum left. Once thats gone, i wont be returning to the liquor store. Im going to count Monday as day one, and i partly have the warm community here to thank for that. Ill be back, is there a place i should be posting specifically as i go through the awful stage of the first week? I anticipate a ton of whining and i dont want to bother people who are here to help

EDIT : looking at the section of the forums i posted this in, it appears im already in the wrong spot lol. any mods care to help a newbie out?
Old 06-09-2017, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I replied to your post in the newcomer thread. But if it helps you stay sober, post in ALL of them. (Why not just put the bottle out and start now?
Old 06-09-2017, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

POUR IT OUT...START NOW...support to you.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Context! I agree with Phoenix about pouring out the rum. If you drink the remaining half bottle it will only make tomorrow more difficult. Dump it out and make tomorrow your day one.

You can do this!
Old 06-09-2017, 09:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi CONTEXT95, I also replied on your other thread.

I was always like, I'll just have today and stop drinking tomorrow but it never came it was always tomorrow .

I hope you stick around for a while.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I moved your post to the main newcomers forum

Don't wait to finish that bottle. Pour it out now.

Why wait to start your new life CONTEXT?

D
Old 06-09-2017, 10:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

in response to everyone here telling me to pour the bottle im going to give probably the oldest excuse in the book. the bottle cost me good money :P i suppose i could give it away but seeing as im already drunk thats not happening.

wish me luck on resisting the temptation to go back to the liquor store.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Context,

I'm so happy you are giving this a try. You are worth it! You are young enough that you can turn this around and have a completely new life. Don't worry yet about the life you'll create.. that will come, as long as you stop drinking. The alcohol has made your world and life shrink down.. it gets smaller and smaller the more you drink. But once you're free of it, all kinds of possibilities, and time and energy for them, will open up for you.

I'm so happy you are doing this, for yourself! You can break this cycle. Choose this new life.

Hugs to you.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank you tealily. i will not soon forget the kind words you said to me in the other thread. your guidance is very much appreciated
Old 06-10-2017, 01:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How old are you Context? Anyways, the best idea in my opinion is to become obsessed with fitness and bettering your overall body. Alcohol will hold you back in every single way. After all, isn't getting off alcohol supposed to be because it's unhealthy for yourself whether it's mentally or physically hindering your own self? So turn that alcohol addiction into a body recognition addiction. Think about what's going into your body before you consume it.

That's just my take.

To be honest, I do drink, but I don't believe I'm at the point to where I need to stop. I don't feel as though I abuse it. One day, I'd like to cut back to about once a week, but overall, I'm 27, and I'm ok with where I'm at. (I mean when you brew your own beer it's kinda hard to not drink it)

At the same time, I like to learn about people, and I literally created an account so I could respond and follow you on this journey.

The "Day 1" thread is amazing. I read every page. Pretty amazing.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I could not quit until I started having major anxiety issues.....brain damage.

This anxiety had been present for my whole life. Drinking didn't fix it, drinking dulled it. When I stopped drinking, it would come back in spades.

So, now clean and sober I deal w life. I have skills and awareness, thanks to the internet and tv.

Otherwise, I would likely have drank until I died. I would have been a mental case by the time I was 60.

Now I still obsess, but I am aware and control it. I don't mask it w booze.

I am pretty sure everyone that drinks routinely has anxiety issues waiting to manifest.

It is booze derived brain damage.

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by CONTEXT95 View Post
in response to everyone here telling me to pour the bottle im going to give probably the oldest excuse in the book. the bottle cost me good money :P i suppose i could give it away but seeing as im already drunk thats not happening.

wish me luck on resisting the temptation to go back to the liquor store.
My head would make that same argument. Total BS.

I hope you won;t, but if you ever find yourself in this position again, pour the stuff down the drain...

think of the money you spent, not as 'wastage', but as an investment in your recovery.

You had a great deal of trouble letting go of this rum bottle, Context.

That's what drinkers like us do - we drink down to the dregs.

Remember this tho when your head tells you maybe you can moderate your drinking....

D
Old 06-10-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dear Context,

How are you today? I keep thinking of you. The '95 in your screen name caught my attention when I saw your first post.. because that's the year my first child was born. You are so young, and I heard such sadness, heartache and longing in your first post. You have a whole life ahead of you, and it's within your power to change the road you are on.

You asked for us to wish you luck in resisting the liquor store.. it's more than luck.. it's you making a decision and acting on it, reaching out for help here and, if possible, there at home too. You are worth it! If you keep going the way you are, absolutely nothing will change, it will only get worse.

Can your parents help you get help? You said you are wheezing and your stomach hurts, that you feel you've done damage to your body. Can you see a doctor? He or she can help you get the local help you need.

Even though you spent money on that rum, it doesn't mean you need to pour it through your body. It will have cost you just as much to pour it in the drain as it would to pour through your liver. Your body can heal, you can get better.

All this is said with love, being the mom that I am! Please let us help you.

Hugs.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Context -- when you wake up, remember:

Honesty. Starting with & always, to your own self. No excuses or coverups. That's an excellent basis to build sobriety.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KCRock29 View Post
How old are you Context? Anyways, the best idea in my opinion is to become obsessed with fitness and bettering your overall body. Alcohol will hold you back in every single way. After all, isn't getting off alcohol supposed to be because it's unhealthy for yourself whether it's mentally or physically hindering your own self? So turn that alcohol addiction into a body recognition addiction. Think about what's going into your body before you consume it.

That's just my take.

To be honest, I do drink, but I don't believe I'm at the point to where I need to stop. I don't feel as though I abuse it. One day, I'd like to cut back to about once a week, but overall, I'm 27, and I'm ok with where I'm at. (I mean when you brew your own beer it's kinda hard to not drink it)

At the same time, I like to learn about people, and I literally created an account so I could respond and follow you on this journey.

The "Day 1" thread is amazing. I read every page. Pretty amazing.
KCRock,

Welcome! So glad you are here.

You say you are content with your drinking pattern, but I'd like to offer this observation, intended kindly: If it has crossed your mind that you "like to cut back to once a week", "someday," and you have looked up information on drinking to the point that you found this forum, I wonder if your instinct is telling you that you are in danger, and not on the best track for a good and healthy life.

Brewing your own beer, feeling that you have to drink it because of that, Googling amounts of beer that are ok .. I would say these could be warning signs.

If you look back to 5 years ago, were you drinking less in a week typically? I guarantee that 5 years from now you won't be drinking less, you'll most likely be drinking quite a bit more. Then you'll be 32, and wishing you had headed it off when you were 27 and had a gut feeling that you were not on the best path.

Excuse me if I'm being too blunt. I'm glad you are part of the forum and want to learn. I hope that in your looking around you will recognize some of the common patterns of drinking, and how it progresses, and that it will help you.

Please keep posting!
Old 06-10-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hello everyone. I just woke up now, disappointingly i stayed up all night on a bender and finished the bottle. Now im sitting here watching netflix just trying to keep myself occupied but i know the cravings wont really come hard for a couple of days. when they do come , ill be talking to you wonderful people. Im terrified of when i try to kick everything, thats going to be such a challenge.. but ive already met a few people in my boat with other addictions so i know i have the support.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Context - it will be rough going for a while, but once you get through that first phase you'll begin to heal. It will be so worth it to be free - and you never have to return to the miserable place you've been in. We are here to listen & help as you begin your new life.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tealily View Post
KCRock,

Welcome! So glad you are here.

You say you are content with your drinking pattern, but I'd like to offer this observation, intended kindly: If it has crossed your mind that you "like to cut back to once a week", "someday," and you have looked up information on drinking to the point that you found this forum, I wonder if your instinct is telling you that you are in danger, and not on the best track for a good and healthy life.

Brewing your own beer, feeling that you have to drink it because of that, Googling amounts of beer that are ok .. I would say these could be warning signs.

If you look back to 5 years ago, were you drinking less in a week typically? I guarantee that 5 years from now you won't be drinking less, you'll most likely be drinking quite a bit more. Then you'll be 32, and wishing you had headed it off when you were 27 and had a gut feeling that you were not on the best path.

Excuse me if I'm being too blunt. I'm glad you are part of the forum and want to learn. I hope that in your looking around you will recognize some of the common patterns of drinking, and how it progresses, and that it will help you.

Please keep posting!
I'd say I'm content with my drinking. I'm not in full control honestly, but basically the weekend comes around and Friday-Sunday I'm drinking each night. Then I lay off during the week. I'd like to take a full weekend off from drinking, and maybe that'd be this weekend coming up.

As far as if I was drinking less 5 years ago, I'd say no. 5 years ago I was drinking 5 nights a week, and it was typically whiskey.

I try to be self aware, so I like learning about other peoples patterns and then looking at myself as well. Like, I'm not a sex addict, but I'd probably check out and learn about sex addiction just to educate myself.

I hope Context is doing ok. I stayed up waaaay too late on Friday night talking with him in the chat room.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That's good, KC.

Context, if you are seeing this, how are you doing? We are concerned about you.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KCRock29 View Post
I'd say I'm content with my drinking. I'm not in full control honestly, but basically the weekend comes around and Friday-Sunday I'm drinking each night. Then I lay off during the week. I'd like to take a full weekend off from drinking, and maybe that'd be this weekend coming up.

then maybe you should try this on your weekends:
the best idea in my opinion is to become obsessed with fitness and bettering your overall body

and find out if that really works to not drink.