Notices

Im going to give this an honest go.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome KC

Gotta say I'm inquisitive too but I never sought out forums like this through curiosity.

I came here because I needed to be here, even if I didn't want to admit it?

D
Old 06-13-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

How are you this morning? Are you sober?

I definitely played the when-I-finish-this-bottle game....and until I was DONE and truly finished the last one, it was just that- a mind game.

Check in and perhaps take a look at the June Newcomers Daily Support Thread. I'm a dedicated AA-er as well (my original Newcomers group is Feb 2016 and the core group of us have been huge support to each other along the way since we quit)....a program of action is definitely critical to my sobriety.

You can quit and start a new, sober life. It is so much better on this side. Hope to see you here- and that's the only context I use the word "hope" because good luck, trying, etc are words to be replaced with ones like doing and choosing.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
then maybe you should try this on your weekends:
the best idea in my opinion is to become obsessed with fitness and bettering your overall body

and find out if that really works to not drink.
Here's my thing, I am a very active and I am addicted to fitness during my down time. On weekends, I let loose. No big deal.

But 5 days of no drinks and healthy food, with 2 days of whatever, and you'll be fit. It's all about moderation. I've done it, and lived it.

But people gotta stick to it. Can't make a McDonalds trip on a Wednesday when you're supposed to eat baked Tilapia with lemon.

On the other hand, do I drink too much? Sure I believe I do. But I also enjoy myself and feel like I'm honestly more free minded after a few drinks.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

But 5 days of no drinks and healthy food, with 2 days of whatever, and you'll be fit.
ah yeah - that was not my experience.
Are you here looking to maintain weekend drinking?

D
Old 06-14-2017, 11:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
ah yeah - that was not my experience.
Are you here looking to maintain weekend drinking?

D
Not necessarily every weekend, but most, yes. I counted my calories and macronutrients during that time. I dropped 30lbs no problem. I'm about to do it again. Weekend drinking won't hinder a solid workout/nutrition program. If it does, then you weren't being true to yourself and counting those macros.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

You realise this is a recovery forum geared to abstinence tho, right?

D
Old 06-14-2017, 11:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You realise this is a recovery forum geared to abstinence tho, right?

D
Ya, I know, I might need to use it one day. As for now, I hope a good kid like Context is doing well. I even gave him my personal number last weekend, haven't heard back though.

I'm a different kind of guy. Just let me be, but also know I have good intentions.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:37 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're breaking a rule so I can't 'just let you be'.

It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
The rest of our rules and policies are here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ting-tips.html

If I'd be a newbie here, telling me I could drink on weekends would have killed me.

Read around a little more maybe and get a feel for what this place is and where we're coming from.

I understand you think you're helping, but... you're really not.

Dee
SR
Old 06-15-2017, 02:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tealily View Post
KCRock,

Welcome! So glad you are here.

You say you are content with your drinking pattern, but I'd like to offer this observation, intended kindly: If it has crossed your mind that you "like to cut back to once a week", "someday," and you have looked up information on drinking to the point that you found this forum, I wonder if your instinct is telling you that you are in danger, and not on the best track for a good and healthy life.

Brewing your own beer, feeling that you have to drink it because of that, Googling amounts of beer that are ok .. I would say these could be warning signs.

If you look back to 5 years ago, were you drinking less in a week typically? I guarantee that 5 years from now you won't be drinking less, you'll most likely be drinking quite a bit more. Then you'll be 32, and wishing you had headed it off when you were 27 and had a gut feeling that you were not on the best path.

Excuse me if I'm being too blunt. I'm glad you are part of the forum and want to learn. I hope that in your looking around you will recognize some of the common patterns of drinking, and how it progresses, and that it will help you.

Please keep posting!
Don't mean to hijack the original posts by Context but just HAD to comment that this is a thousand percent spot on. My thoughts and concernse exactly, KC.

Context- how are you today?