Notices

A return to sobriety

Old 06-09-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A return to sobriety

This has been a very difficult year which I only made worse by a return to daily alcohol consumption. My mother died after months of illness and my husband was diagnosed with cancer. 16 days sober and the best part is that my husband is sober also. So, no alcohol in the house at last! He always was a proponent of "learning to drink normally" and I thought it was possible. For me, it is not. Not any more.

I'm finding that our relationship is very different. At first, it was very uncomfortable - I don't think we've ever been totally sober together for any length of time - but, it is becoming easier as the days go by. Can anyone relate to this transition? If so, any tips, pitfalls, advice?
Old 06-09-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Inch, I'm sorry about your husband's illness and the loss of your mother. I'm glad you no longer have alcohol in the house. I never do either and it makes life much more simple.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 16 days inchworm 💜

My husband doesn't really drink so I am not able to offer any insight or advice in that respect but wanted to wish you well on the rest of your recovery journey x
Old 06-09-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on choosing sobriety, you won't regret it.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Inch,

So sorry about your mother and your husband's diagnosis. It must be very difficult for you.

My husband and I stopped drinking together 105 days ago. It's not the first time we have been sober together, as we've made many attempts in the past. But I can recall the first time we stopped together and I remember it feeling weird.

While my husband has stumbled over the last few months, he hasn't given up completely....so I'm still hopeful. Personally, this time feels different for me. Through therapy, SR and daily prayer, I feel better than I have in years.

I hope that SR is as helpful to you as it has been for me.

Congratulations on 16 days!
Old 06-09-2017, 03:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Not married or in a relationship so I'll leave that advice to others but just wanted to welcome you to SR and say congrats on 16 days sober!
Old 06-09-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you are seeking sobriety again and hope our support can make the difference for your success.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome back inchworm

I'm sure others have been in your situation and I expect you'll hear from them soon - I'm glad it's getting more comfortable tho.

I'm sorry for your loss and your husbands illness but, as you know, there's tons of support here to help you through difficult times.

Congrats on 16 days - a great start
D
Old 06-10-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. Also, the cancer diagnosis is one that I am very familiar with and I am sorry that you, your husband and the whole family are traveling down this road. Cancer affects everyone. Please know that you are not alone in these struggles. I hope that you and your husband will find support through this process.

Removing alcohol from the equation will only prove to be a positive. You will be able to deal with your grief over your mother and this illness without masking the problem or making matters worse for yourself or others.

Please keep posting and keep up the good work.

Hugs to you.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Feels so GOOD to be back here on SR. My husband and I made it through a wedding this evening without alcohol.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Prayers and support to you, IW.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry to hear about your mom, and your husband's diagnosis. You will find lots of support on this site.