Notices

Please tell me it gets quicker...

Old 06-08-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please tell me it gets quicker...

I'm 30 days out and I'm feeling great. Cravings are low, I'm active and working and trying to rebuild my life. I was thinking of where I was 30 days ago, alone in a hotel room drinking until I passed out knowing it would be my last. It seems like MONTHS ago!! Not 30 days ago. Is the first few months snail mode? Again, I'm happy in sobriety but lord it feels like forever.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think what happens is that when sober the days open up, expand, show you how big they really are.

But that's a good thing, right?
Old 06-08-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Congrats on a month sober. A great accomplishment.

My days hurdle by way too quick. I don't know if that's a factor of my sobriety, or being 61 and being aware that life is fleeting. But I can say that now that I'm sober, 24 hours isn't enough time in a day to all I want to do.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
under new management

From where I am sitting, 2 1/2 years sober, the days roll by, the week feels like it is over before it began. I can't believe how fast time passes!

It may feel like time has slowed down now, but I would say to enjoy it! This, too, shall pass.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

lifes a journey, not a race
Old 06-08-2017, 06:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Time seems different for me too in sobriety. It is a matter of filling it up- small steps, out of comfort zone, making an effort to do anything...cups of tea with 7000 year old people after church....it all helps.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i'm with the others- time seems to pass REALLY quickly now. I am 15+ mo (472 days) sober and it seems like I just celebrated my one year (that was in Feb! now it's summer!).

Time takes time and now, I have to not be anxious about the future because of all the things I want to do. Everyone has a process and being sober no matter whether times seems fast or slow is the important part- because we really have the same 24 hours a day either way.

Congats on 30 days- keep going! Everything gets better.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all, I appreciate the responses. I'm enjoying life and I love sobriety so far (I can't believe those words came out of my mouth). I guess it's true with finding things to do in the day, I do love my tea btw. I remember when I was in the throws of my addictions and a sweet neighbor who has seen me many of times passed out says "try to swap wine for tea" and I looked at her like she was asking me to sell my first born child. Now that I've passed the physical hurdle of detox and the days are longer (not a bad thing) and I love some good ol tea. I think it feels like it's dragging by because I have changed my life in a dramatic way in the last 30. I never in my life thought I could do it. It took my career being threatened to get me off the sauce but it's been wonderful. I agree life is not a race, I used to race the day away to meet my beloved alcohol. 5 o'clock couldn't come sooner, nothing else mattered. Now I'm leaning what life is about. Just was curious if this is normal. It sounds like once sobriety becomes my norm, this passes.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one month! I've given up on knowing what's "normal". Too many years of abnormality for me to recognize it. I do know that with each passing day, week, month, of sobriety, that life gets more enjoyable and worthwhile. Not perfect, not without trial, just in looking back at where I came from, makes me so, so , so, grateful for the sobriety I have today.

My best to you, jellybean!
Old 06-08-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It does get quicker jellybean, especially if you are enjoying a life of sobriety.
Time was excuciatingly slow for me when I was sober but without support or in a good situation.
This time after treatment, I learned how to find good support and my life slowly filled up with things that mattered and time has flown by a lot faster. I once never thought I'd be able to make a day without drinking. Then not two months, then I did. Then I made 3 months. Then there is now, I know the next couple weeks will be over before I know it and I'll hit six months.

At the end of the day, all that matter is today. There is no promise of tomorrow, so do we choose to accept things today as they are, and find happiness where we can, or strife and sorrow?
The number doesn't really matter, the quality is in how we choose to live today, not yesterday and not tomorrow.
And you sound like you're doing great today, and thus far keep it up, seems like you've got your compass pointed in the right direction.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah enjoy the snails pace while it lasts is my suggestion. The years fly by for me now

D
Old 06-08-2017, 11:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, great job on a month! I don't want to dampen the mood, but that snails pace was one of my awareness items in early recovery - personally, I'd remind myself a lot that I was still in early days just so I wouldn't feel overconfident. Not to diminish your accomplishment in any way, but it's just something I found helpful.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you were like me, you lost several hours a day in an alcohol cloud. I experienced the same thing, my first 30 felt way longer. I had more going on, because I wasn't scheduling life around drinking. I was busier and more tired, but it was the good tired, with good sleep when I could get it. Congrats !
Old 06-09-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one month. I admire where your head is at.

For me, yes, time seems like it is going sooo slowly. It's good to be reminded of that.