Notices

went to my first aa meeting

Old 06-07-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

went to my first aa meeting

so i went to my first meeting this afternoon uk time, it went really well actually, i was the youngest one there but i was expecting that but they were all really nice and shared their stories with me. gave me some hope that i can actually beat this. i'm still drinking but i've got myself into a help service where i go twice a week to a group session looking at why we do the things we do as addicts and now i have aa so i'm looking at beating this properly now. just wanted to share that with everyone here because i know you understand
Old 06-07-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi TheOwl,

Well done on taking these first steps. It's a process, and it won't happen overnight, but there is a great community of people here to help you through the tough times and spur you forward on your journey.

Wishing you so much luck and positivity!
Old 06-07-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

right on, fellow Owl.....

consider shifting from a place of "beat this" to a place of "embrace this".

For me, it was a huge factor.

Focusing on what I'm choosing, what I'm embracing, what I'm becoming.... Sobriety..... a Sober, Grateful, Joyous person.... made the whole thing so much brighter.

Welcome.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LastingChange View Post
Hi TheOwl,

Well done on taking these first steps. It's a process, and it won't happen overnight, but there is a great community of people here to help you through the tough times and spur you forward on your journey.

Wishing you so much luck and positivity!
thank you
Old 06-07-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
right on, fellow Owl.....

consider shifting from a place of "beat this" to a place of "embrace this".

For me, it was a huge factor.

Focusing on what I'm choosing, what I'm embracing, what I'm becoming.... Sobriety..... a Sober, Grateful, Joyous person.... made the whole thing so much brighter.

Welcome.

that is a good way of looking at it, thanks for saying so
Old 06-07-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome the owl!!!! Omg my first AA meeting. I was the youngest by at least 10 years and almost turned away at the door by a clearly intoxicated old man who told me how beautiful I was. Thank God a fabulous woman took me under her wing.

You'll find the right meeting if you look for it and listen to people in recovery. So happy for you for going!! It's not easy, but the first time is the scariest. Keep it up :-)
Old 06-07-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

good on ya!! the great thing is ya just went to the hardest meeting to go to- your first.
i got sober in small town,USA and the meetings seemed to have a lot of people older than me. in fact, many times other than the clients from the detox in town at the meetings, i was the youngest at 36 years old. ya know, i actually hadda time i thought,"what do these old farts know of anything. yeah, i sure relate, but theyre living at an older age them me."
welp, not long after that thought, quite a few of them old farts were having their sober anniversaries. although charlie was 55, he celebrated 20 years sober. tina was 49 and celebrated 17 years sober. old fart tom was 66 and celebrated 34 years sober.
not long after i went to a small morning meeting. got there early for the meeting before the meeting.just 7 of us. for some reason the meeting before the meeting turned into sober anniversary dates and years sober. i was sitting at a table of 6 alcoholics with over 125 years of recovery between them.
huh!!!! them old farts werent always old farts and only became old farts because they got sober!
Old 06-07-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fantastic, glad you are taking action and seeking face to face support.