Notices

Breaking new ground

Old 06-07-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Breaking new ground

So I had my fifth psychotherapy session this evening and after my setback at the weekend, I finally had the courage/felt so guilty and ashamed of myself that I admitted my problems with drinking and partying and the impact that has had on me over the past few years. (Up until now is just been addressing other issues).

It was hard to say out loud, and I couldn't bring myself to go into too much detail about the behaviours I'm ashamed of from nights where I've been out of control, but it felt like such a positive step forwards to finally admit it, to say out loud and acknowledge that this is a problem, a big problem, and that I need help to address it if it's going to finally be a long term solution and not short lived cycles of relapse and regret.

Thanks all on SR who have offered me kind words, support and encouragement over the past few days.

To anyone else new like me - and those who are not new - we can do this. Community and human compassion and solidarity is everything in this life. Know that you are NOT alone. We have made mistakes but we need to learn to forgive ourselves, to accept ourselves as the people we are, in order to move forward and make sobriety a priority and change our lives to reach our full potential.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you. Glad to hear you had the courage to share with your therapist. Admitting substance abuse is extremely difficult, but sometimes I think when we finally let it out, its a huge relief and we can actually start to heal.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done LastingChange 💜 my psychotherapy sessions really took off after I admitted my problem drinking (not till a number of months of therapy as I said in your previous post), along with all of my deepest darkest secrets...I had nothing left to hide and was truly able to move forward with my therapist's support.

Wishing you well on the rest of your recovery journey x
Old 06-07-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Good for you. Glad to hear you had the courage to share with your therapist. Admitting substance abuse is extremely difficult, but sometimes I think when we finally let it out, its a huge relief and we can actually start to heal.
Thank you for the kindness. It definitely feels like something is different now that I've finally admitted there is a real problem, I feel like it will force me to really face up to things and adopt sobriety as a way of life. Wishing you all the best!
Old 06-07-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 06-07-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nova84 View Post
Well done LastingChange 💜 my psychotherapy sessions really took off after I admitted my problem drinking (not till a number of months of therapy as I said in your previous post), along with all of my deepest darkest secrets...I had nothing left to hide and was truly able to move forward with my therapist's support.

Wishing you well on the rest of your recovery journey x
Thank you so much for your positivity and for sharing you experience, it gives me a lot of hope and really comforts me to know that you have been through such similar things and are coming out the other end as a strong, enlightened person.