Notices

Hello. Day 4 Help!!!

Old 06-07-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello. Day 4 Help!!!

Hello, I am new to this site. Today is my Day 4 of alcohol detox. Today is the first day that I am having a real craving. Any suggestions on how to help alleviate some of the cravings? I find leaving my house and keeping busy after work really helps, but I can not do that everyday due to having certain commitments at home. It's when I am at home that I am worried I will fail. Help!
Old 06-07-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and congratulations on getting to Day 4. I agree with you that getting out and doing something (I walked a lot) are very helpful. I found that music helped me get through the early days, too. Maybe you can take a quick break in the evening and call a friend for support, or read for 15 minutes to help calm your mind. I also took a lot of bubble baths.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Bapo, welcome!!!! You're in the right place. Day 4 is great, congratulations I think for me day 4 was when I would start to get arrogant and think eh, I got this... Then boom, cravings that I didn't even identify as craving. Good for you for calling yourself out! What helped me the most was calling my sponsor or another sober friend the second I felt this way. Left to my own devices it's just too easy to get a bottle. Form a sober network. That doesn't mean you have to give up your friends who drink. For some people, this is necessary. For me, it wasn't; true friends of mine know and support me. But I also have AA sober friends who can relate to me on a different level.

Also bubble baths, good idea
Old 06-07-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. In early recovery, when I had urges to drink, I would walk my dogs. The craving went away and the dogs were happy for another walk. They got a lot of walks and I stayed sober.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you, Bapo. Congrats on your Day 4. Things are going to get so much better and easier. Posting here really helped keep me busy & focused. We all understand what you're going through.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HELP! yes it is here, also at AA, SMART, psychologist, counsellor.....support to you. If you still feel crap and PAWS? See a doc?
Old 06-07-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep in mind, you may worry that you will fail, but you hold the keys to that. You don't have to drink. You may want to drink, but you don't have to. In the early days we are tested regularly on how committed we are to a better way of life. It sounds like you are being tested. You can pass this test.