Notices

I think I'm ready, but where and how do I start?

Old 06-06-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I'm ready, but where and how do I start?

Binge drinker. Ashamed that it's my go to. It enhances the good and temporarily helps the bad. It's been the funny part of me. People love drunk me. It's changing tho. It's like sitting down, starving at a restaurant and you open the menu to see all your favorite things that make you happy. Then gluttony and remorse hit. That's how I explain it to my husband. He enables it because he is gone so much and I think he feels I deserve it. Him being gone is a huge part of my drinking. Kids are easier. Life is easier. When drinking. I am scared. I'm sad. I need to break up, but I'm still in love. Where do I go from here? AA? I realize I can't do it alone. I've tried. I need options and support. Day 1.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and you will find great support here. There are lots of recovery plans and ideas here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-06-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
love is the answer

Welcome cocobeano.

You will find tons of support and advice here. There are more options than you might realise.

Read, read, read.

Then Post. As often and as much as you need to.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Cocobeano View Post
Binge drinker. Ashamed that it's my go to. It enhances the good and temporarily helps the bad. It's been the funny part of me. People love drunk me. It's changing tho. It's like sitting down, starving at a restaurant and you open the menu to see all your favorite things that make you happy. Then gluttony and remorse hit. That's how I explain it to my husband. He enables it because he is gone so much and I think he feels I deserve it. Him being gone is a huge part of my drinking. Kids are easier. Life is easier. When drinking. I am scared. I'm sad. I need to break up, but I'm still in love. Where do I go from here? AA? I realize I can't do it alone. I've tried. I need options and support. Day 1.
SR helped me change my life so you're in a good place for help cocobean

I defined myself by my drinking, I used it as a cure all for very situation, for every bad feeling and for 'fun'.

I ended up drinking all day every day.

But I changed - it was hard..especially in the beginning...but if I did it, you can too.

Read around post as much as you like,. see what others are doing to stay sober and ask questions.

Welcome aboard

D
Old 06-06-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! So glad you joined our recovery community.

First step is, like you said, day one. Don't drink, one minute, one hour, one day at a time. As you get more sober time, it gets easier to stay sober.

One thing I did to enhance my recovery (and my life) is practice gratitude every day. Every day I find at least one thing I am grateful for. We even have a Gratitude forum here where you can join a thread, or start your own.

I find that when I am grateful for my blessings, my blessings increase. Being grateful also helps me stay sober by focusing on the positive parts of my life.

The Gratitude List - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 06-06-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, Coco. You're doing such a good thing for yourself & your future. It'll be difficult to change the way you live - at first - but you'll be happy with the new peaceful life you'll be gaining.

When I joined SR I was instantly reassured by the friendliness & encouragement. I never knew there were so many who felt just as I did - and I never was alone again. I'm glad you found us - we're here to help.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Great to meet you, Coco. You're doing such a good thing for yourself & your future. It'll be difficult to change the way you live - at first - but you'll be happy with the new peaceful life you'll be gaining.

When I joined SR I was instantly reassured by the friendliness & encouragement. I never knew there were so many who felt just as I did - and I never was alone again. I'm glad you found us - we're here to help.
Thank u so much. I will be here I'm sure a lot. Getting comfy, I'm not going anywhere. 🤠
Old 06-06-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fun was my biggest worry also. That was until thr withdrawls started. Binging, taking breaks, and binging again is more dangerous than every day drinking. Getting drunks no fun anymore. It never leads to anything positive.

Google: kindling alcoholism

Are you drinking this evening?
Old 06-06-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BD84 View Post
Fun was my biggest worry also. That was until thr withdrawls started. Binging, taking breaks, and binging again is more dangerous than every day drinking. Getting drunks no fun anymore. It never leads to anything positive.

Nope. Day 1-4 I can do. It's after day 4 that sucks.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 06-06-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BD84 View Post

This worries me! I drink every 3rd night. Probably 8 drinks.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had a hard time getting past day 3 when it was at its worst. When the sleep and nervous system issues set it its rough. Quit while your ahead.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Coco,
Please look up AA and get to a meeting. It's not the only path to sobriety as you'll read on SR, but at least check it out.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How's it going, Coco?
Old 06-08-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Coco. You are making a very wise decision to give up the drink and I wish you the best. SR is a great place for advice, information and support. Maybe you could hit an AA meeting on that third night or when a craving hits? I don't go now but it had been helpful to me in early sobriety and if you don't like it there are other recovery methods to try and see what fits best for you.