Notices

Almost 4 months sober.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost 4 months sober.

Hey all Sunday will mark my four months of Sobriety in really 20 years, of Alcoholism, drank heavy the last 10 years. I quit due to having strange physical symptoms, brain fog, muscle twitching, feeling weak and tired, HORRIBLE acid reflux. I woke up one day and decided I was done. My question is, how long do the symptoms last? Two months into my sobriety I started feeling great, a few weeks ago it took a turn and I have achy joints, brain fog, feeling very fatique and muscle twitches have returned. This is very intense and difficult to go through, my mind is always racing and it's difficult to sleep at night. I'm not asking for medical advice, and have seen my Dr regarding my symptoms. My question, has anyone had these symptoms? Especially the muscle twitches? I've ready stories where some do and others don't. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Perhaps see a doc. again about this....
Old 06-06-2017, 03:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 4 months! I, too, am 4 months. I have seen a doc and gotten the all clear, health wise. I can't speak to the muscle twitches. But the "brain fog" is definitely present and seems to be getting worse. Stuff like forgetting what I'm doing in the middle of it.....reaching for something and grabbing the totally wrong thing.....I"ve even been late with bills when I have a list of stuff due right in front of me!! I'll pay them all (or think I did), then get a late notice. VERY frustrating.
Hang in there. If the muscle twitches are bothering you to the point of interrupting your life, go back to the doctor. I'm hoping your doc did blood tests and what not? Might be time for a follow up.
Again, congrats on 4 months. I'm going easy on myself, as I know my body is probably in "shock" from its lack of a daily bottle of wine for YEARS. Time heals, so wishing the best for the both of us.
PS: how is your caffeine intake? I notice if I drink too much coffee I get "twitchy"
Old 06-06-2017, 04:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strength37 View Post
My question, has anyone had these symptoms? Especially the muscle twitches? I've ready stories where some do and others don't. Thanks.
I did. I was VERY sick when I quit 15+ mo ago and it took me a long time to get better. The first 100 days were a real process of getting better, still dealing with physical "stuff" - a lot of the things you mention, indeed- and things kept improving while having their ups and downs as I have gone along in sobriety.

My experience is that it takes time for EVERYTHING about us to heal. I am, on the whole, well and healthy here in my second year- felt that way for the most part in the 7-8 mo range- though fatigue is my number one watch-out still. I take naps most days and ration what I do over the course of a week.

Staying sober was the only way- is the only way- I can impact how I stay healthy - as well as deal with the "normal stuff" of being 40 years old! I also seek ongoing help and communication from/with my GP and psych.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am 2 months in, and the continuation of physical symptoms really bothers me. I still have twitches/muscle spasms, shakes, and the psychological/emotional PAWS symptoms. I have read here and talking with others, that this seems to be common up to 6 months, and even up to 2 years out. Dealing with this is harder for me than not drinking.

Don't take this for medical advice. I'm going back to my doctor tomorrow just for peace of mind to discuss the ongoing physical symptoms. But, it seems to me anyway, that there is a continuum of neurological fallout involved in getting sober. It seems to span from the 7 day acute withdrawal for some, to full on permanent alcoholic neuropathy, with most people self-reporting symptoms that resolve within a few months. Again, I'm no doctor, but people self report what seems like a combination of vitamin deficiency, their nervous system "resetting" (nerve cells take a long time to heal/reproduce), and overcoming anxiety and panic (which contribute to physical symptoms).

One of my AA friends said months 3-6 were the worst for him. Another felt better after 4 months. Another was super after 2 weeks (jerk!).

For me at 2 months, I have a stretch of a few good days, then a couple bad. Or some good hours with sudden twitching and anxiety out of nowhere. It's only when I try to compare things week over week, or month over month, that I can see things are getting better.

I'll report back tomorrow after my Dr. Visit. I'll hang in there if you will.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey all Sunday will mark my four months of Sobriety in really 20 years, of Alcoholism, drank heavy the last 10 years. I quit due to having strange physical symptoms, brain fog, muscle twitching, feeling weak and tired, HORRIBLE acid reflux. I woke up one day and decided I was done. My question is, how long do the symptoms last? Two months into my sobriety I started feeling great, a few weeks ago it took a turn and I have achy joints, brain fog, feeling very fatique and muscle twitches have returned. This is very intense and difficult to go through, my mind is always racing and it's difficult to sleep at night. I'm not asking for medical advice, and have seen my Dr regarding my symptoms. My question, has anyone had these symptoms? Especially the muscle twitches? I've ready stories where some do and others don't. Thanks.
Sorry - I got off topic with my earlier post. Yes, at two months I can feel fine for a few days, only to have physical symptoms return. The twitches are the worst part for me. Most often my left lower eyelid and the webbing between my left thumb and index finger. They also happen randomly (and less consistently) in my forearms, biceps, quads, and glutes. Occasionally in my abdomen or shoulder blade, or calves/feet (those feel more like cramps though). Caffeine makes them worse. They seem to coincide also with poor sleep, high anxiety, and fatigue (general feeling tired, weak and shaky). I can't tell which symptom comes first. Together they can last anywhere for a few hours to a day or 2, and then disappear.

They totally suck. At best I try to relax/meditate, and try not to let their reappearance ruin my day.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Strength

It could be anything really - you might have caught a bug?
See a Dr if your symptoms persist I think?

D
Old 06-06-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on four months sober and welcome to the family.

If the doctor said you were in good health, but these symptoms continue, I'd see the doctor again.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Congrats on 4 months!
Old 06-07-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post
Sorry - I got off topic with my earlier post. Yes, at two months I can feel fine for a few days, only to have physical symptoms return. The twitches are the worst part for me. Most often my left lower eyelid and the webbing between my left thumb and index finger. They also happen randomly (and less consistently) in my forearms, biceps, quads, and glutes. Occasionally in my abdomen or shoulder blade, or calves/feet (those feel more like cramps though). Caffeine makes them worse. They seem to coincide also with poor sleep, high anxiety, and fatigue (general feeling tired, weak and shaky). I can't tell which symptom comes first. Together they can last anywhere for a few hours to a day or 2, and then disappear.

They totally suck. At best I try to relax/meditate, and try not to let their reappearance ruin my day.
Wow Noah. You have given me a little peace in mind. I have to say, I have never felt so physically off in my life. I'm 37, drank heavily the past 5 years, two bottles of wine a night 4 to 5 days a week. My Dr told me all my symptoms were from drinking, so that was it for me. Cold Turkey. This, sucks!! But to know I'm not the only one feeling this way, makes me feel a hell of alot better. How did your appointment go?
Old 06-07-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I did. I was VERY sick when I quit 15+ mo ago and it took me a long time to get better. The first 100 days were a real process of getting better, still dealing with physical "stuff" - a lot of the things you mention, indeed- and things kept improving while having their ups and downs as I have gone along in sobriety.

My experience is that it takes time for EVERYTHING about us to heal. I am, on the whole, well and healthy here in my second year- felt that way for the most part in the 7-8 mo range- though fatigue is my number one watch-out still. I take naps most days and ration what I do over the course of a week.

Staying sober was the only way- is the only way- I can impact how I stay healthy - as well as deal with the "normal stuff" of being 40 years old! I also seek ongoing help and communication from/with my GP and psych.
Congratulations on staying sober. I'm right behind you. I can't ever go through this crud again, EVER! It's been scary for me, as it was for you too, I'm sure. When did the muscle twitches stop? What did your doc say, if you don't mind me asking? Four months on Sunday. I got this, alcohol is just simply not an option. Tha KS for the reply btw
Old 06-09-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow Noah. You have given me a little peace in mind. I have to say, I have never felt so physically off in my life. I'm 37, drank heavily the past 5 years, two bottles of wine a night 4 to 5 days a week. My Dr told me all my symptoms were from drinking, so that was it for me. Cold Turkey. This, sucks!! But to know I'm not the only one feeling this way, makes me feel a hell of alot better. How did your appointment go?
Hey Strength, Appointment went well.

This was my second neurology visit (thank God for having good insurance - I wish everyone did). The first was a basic nerve conduction test that diagnosed some potential impingement in my elbows (but ruled out the real scary stuff). On this visit the neurologist did a series of motion and coordination tests, and a history, focusing on my symptoms. He said everything looks good, and he thinks everything I am experiencing is due to the cumulative effects of alcohol toxicity, both the numbness and the twitching . He believed that the eye twitching tends to be the worst because there are so many nerves/enervation surrounding the eye. He also believed that the hand/arm twitching and numbness was due to the drinking (that the nerves were generally irritated from my drinking career, and it gets exacerbated in that location because the nerve at the elbow is not well protected physically). He prescribed me a thiamin supplement that he wants me to take for 3 months, as this is important for nerve health and often depleted in drinkers. We briefly discussed multivitamins, and I will bring that topic up in a follow up with my GP - whether my current multivitamin is actually that helpful or is just interfering with the uptake of the individual vitamins I actually need. We scheduled a follow up visit in 3 month, but he also told me that if I am feeling better, there is no reason to come (this was a positive, not a dismissal). He told me that I probably damaged my nerves a little (I drank for 20 years, with the last 5 being a 1/2 liter bottle or more of rum or Vodka every single night - I'm also a 225# guy though). BUT - he thinks this damage will be reversed, although it will happen very very slowly, at least 6 months. He also ended the session with a pep talk, telling me he was proud of me for quitting, addiction is not a character defect, and it is innate brain chemistry. I really like that Doc.

What we didn't discuss was why the symptoms come and go. But I have had the discussion with my therapist and accupuncturist, and others in recovery. The representation is that recovery, even from the physical symptoms, is not a linear path, and I have to look at week over week, or month over month. It's a 3 steps forward 2 steps back deal. There are also important things that effect it. Brain chemistry of dopamine withdrawal causes strange things to happen. For me its anxiety. And an anxiety attack can make my numbness and twitches worse. So can bad diet. Hypogycemia is common in alcoholics. For me, since I am putting 10k fewer calories of highly refined sugars into my body a week, the way my body deals with releasing glycogen and insulin is still out of whack. Missing a meal/eating too much/eating the wrong thing can cause hypoglycemia symptoms that reinforce the shaking, twitching, etc...

I'm not a doctor, and I'm not giving advice. But I have seen enough medical/recovery professionals to be confident that 1) I do not have any medical issue right now (knock on wood) other than recovery from the physical effects of alcoholism 2) Recovery from alcoholism is really ******* weird, and 3) Recovery from alcoholism is complicated, I don't understand it all, and am better off just accepting it. It's taken me a lot of panicked and racing thoughts to get there, but it's a relief.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not a doctor, and I'm not giving advice. But I have seen enough medical/recovery professionals to be confident that 1) I do not have any medical issue right now (knock on wood) other than recovery from the physical effects of alcoholism 2) Recovery from alcoholism is really ******* weird, and 3) Recovery from alcoholism is complicated, I don't understand it all, and am better off just accepting it. It's taken me a lot of panicked and racing thoughts to get there, but it's a relief.
Agree with all of this.

And, to your question, my drs have all concurred that once my levels (liver enzymes, iron, potassium were the big ones to get to normal for me) got into the normal ranges, TIME is really the factor. Good self-care is also critical. Indeed, everyone reacts differently. I also work a very active job as a server in a busy restaurant with four flights of stairs to the popular patio, and run and do yoga. So muscle fatigue, aches, and such happen- for good reasons now, I happily assume.

I do discuss everything with my psych and while we focus on my emotional and mental health (anxiety is something I deal with that I have realized has likely been with me all my life) I also share about physical stuff because I do think it is connected. I take a drug regimen to address "all my stuff."

Take care and stay sober- I think of any part of this process that has been physically painful and difficult as a small price to pay for the wonderful life I have- and a short time to suffer for both what I put my body through and the (hopefully long) life I have ahead!
Old 07-11-2017, 09:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Noah

Hey Strength, Appointment went well
This was my second neurology visit (thank God for having good insurance - I wish everyone did). The first was a basic nerve conduction test that diagnosed some potential impingement in my elbows (but ruled out the real scary stuff). On this visit the neurologist did a series of motion and coordination tests, and a history, focusing on my symptoms. He said everything looks good, and he thinks everything I am experiencing is due to the cumulative effects of alcohol toxicity, both the numbness and the twitching . He believed that the eye twitching tends to be the worst because there are so many nerves/enervation surrounding the eye. He also believed that the hand/arm twitching and numbness was due to the drinking (that the nerves were generally irritated from my drinking career, and it gets exacerbated in that location because the nerve at the elbow is not well protected physically). He prescribed me a thiamin supplement that he wants me to take for 3 months, as this is important for nerve health and often depleted in drinkers. We briefly discussed multivitamins, and I will bring that topic up in a follow up with my GP - whether my current multivitamin is actually that helpful or is just interfering with the uptake of the individual vitamins I actually need. We scheduled a follow up visit in 3 month, but he also told me that if I am feeling better, there is no reason to come (this was a positive, not a dismissal). He told me that I probably damaged my nerves a little (I drank for 20 years, with the last 5 being a 1/2 liter bottle or more of rum or Vodka every single night - I'm also a 225# guy though). BUT - he thinks this damage will be reversed, although it will happen very very slowly, at least 6 months. He also ended the session with a pep talk, telling me he was proud of me for quitting, addiction is not a character defect, and it is innate brain chemistry. I really like that Doc.

What we didn't discuss was why the symptoms come and go. But I have had the discussion with my therapist and accupuncturist, and others in recovery. The representation is that recovery, even from the physical symptoms, is not a linear path, and I have to look at week over week, or month over month. It's a 3 steps forward 2 steps back deal. There are also important things that effect it. Brain chemistry of dopamine withdrawal causes strange things to happen. For me its anxiety. And an anxiety attack can make my numbness and twitches worse. So can bad diet. Hypogycemia is common in alcoholics. For me, since I am putting 10k fewer calories of highly refined sugars into my body a week, the way my body deals with releasing glycogen and insulin is still out of whack. Missing a meal/eating too much/eating the wrong thing can cause hypoglycemia symptoms that reinforce the shaking, twitching, etc...

So, I was officially 5 months sober on Sunday. I'm feeling better, I find the muscle twitches are more present when I'm stressed and/or feeling fatigue, which comes and goes. Some days are better than others.. Work seems to be getting better and easier for me, the brain fog isn't present as much, still there though. All in all, I have my good days, and bad days. Hoping things continue up, as I feel they SLOWLY are. How are you feeling Noah? How's survival on your side if the street?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Noah and Strength, I hope you guys still check this site every once and a while. I know Noah responded to my original post months ago. Anyway, I'm in the same boat as you guys. Hearing your journey has been a huge help for my mental state. I quit drinking the day after Thanksgiving 2017 because i started to experience horrible muscle spasms/cramps in my inner thigh. From there, my body went downhill. Global pins and needles sensation, muscle spasms, twitching, general aches and pains everywhere. Today, almost three months sober, the pins and needles are all but gone, but the twitching and muscle cramps and aches are as prevalent as ever.

Having all of these symptoms for months now has given me horrible health anxiety. I've had every work-up from the docs you can imagine. All the applicable blood tests, MRI's from head to cheek (literally lol), everything. Thankfully, all but one test has been clear. Oddly enough Vitamin B6 recently came back really high. Like five times the upper limit high.

From my research, I found out that some people carry a gene mutation that makes it harder for the body to get rid of the extra B6. That said, beer, especially craft beer is pretty high in B6. Since i was drinking 7-12 beers a day and taking a strong multivitamin after i quit, i wonder if B6 toxicity is contributing to all of these neurological symptoms...

I meet with the neurologist again this week, but it is something for you all to consider and maybe get tested for. B6 is pretty uncommon for Dr.'s to test for, so if you're still having problems, wouldn't hurt to ask your Doc to test for it.

At any rate, if it's not the B6 causing my problems and my body is just recovering from the booze, i hope none of this is permeant.

Knowing that you guys are much further along than I, how are your symptoms today? Again, thank you for posting and giving others of us out there some piece of mind!