Notices

Wine is taking over my life

Old 06-06-2017, 01:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Vinomum,

I'm on anti-depressants as well and unfortunately was also drinking! I'm no expert but I remember within the first week the pills made me feel very anxious, sick and tired. Very similar to being hungover! So I found the combination of the two wasn't ideal.

Maybe with the help of SR if you can quit the wine you could also try the anti-depressants again? Maybe that first week would go easier if you don't drink as well? I've been sober for 3 days now (not much I know), but feel like I have the depression more under control.

Strangely I find coffee helps. I know that's strange as caffeine is associated with anxiety. But (and again I'm no expert, so please don't take my word for it), I find it gives me a boost and helps not only the depression but also gives me something to drink that isn't booze!

This is my third time trying to quit. This time I have an app on my iPad which tells me how long I've been sober for and I'm planning on exercising more. I find that helps quite a bit.

And being totally honest, coming here is one of the best ways of getting through it. I feel so happy when I see that people have "thanked" or replied to my post. And I hope I can help you in some small way by posting on here also.

So maybe you could try to have a night off the booze. And whenever you feel the urge, come here and reply or make a new post. It's helping me

Also, try and read about PAWS and withdrawal. Anxiousness can increase which can cause us to pick up the bottle again. I just trying to push through that, knowing that the anxiousness is just the disease's way of trying to pull me back in. But it won't!

Good luck, there's a lot of support here

Cooper
Old 06-06-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

With you

I am one day 1 too with the wine oclock...love that phrase to describe the thing that keeps us chained. I am just posting for the first time after two years and trying again. Thanks to all of you for sharing...giving me hope.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I can say looking back that binges were where this unhealthy habit began even in my teenage years, but wine in my later years played a significant role in my issue turning into full blown alcoholism. It seemed such an innocent nuanced habit in the evenings until it became every evening and heavily and very dangerous and completely out of control. Even now I am rocked with fear and shock that I it would have gotten worse and worse.

Since making efforts at changing my life little by little and becoming sober, only then have I been able to look back and see how alcohol had completely taken over. Seeing it for what is/was has been horrifying and motivating, moreso as my health, sleep, energy and outlook improve.

I used to collect wine corks in table decor...noticed it and threw it away this weekend realizing the symbolism of even that taking up space in my home. Ugh. Not proud of how full it was knowing it took no time to collect those corks.

The longer I go remain sober...the more clarity I have gained in my prior choices and habits. I do not want to live that life anymore.

Hoping you continue to find courage and strength on this journey. Be proud of taking steps forward whether big or small.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going vinomum?

D