Notices

Needing to reach out

Old 06-05-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing to reach out

I am not new to trying to get sober but I once again slipped up and drank away the past two days. Needless to say I am pretty upset with myself. Every singe time I drink I always feel so horrible and it is just not a good time anymore. I don't understand why I keep putting myself through this insane vicious cycle...oh wait yes I do cause I am an alcoholic. This disease truly is cunning and baffling.

I want off this insanity train and I obviously have not been doing the right thing cause it keeps leading me right back to where I don't want to be. I know I can do this but I need to stop thinking I can do this alone. I isolate and think I can tackle everything alone but I just can't. I am a mess and am falling apart.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Fighting! You are like all of us here, we want off that crazy cycle, that is possible. I'm at 51 days. You will find support and sober skills available here . Be here, post often, learn and get free from alcohol.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Like you, I have tried many times in the past. Like you, I found SR and the great support offered by the people here has made all the difference this time. I hope you too will find the same.

I am not sure how long you have stayed sober for in the past. For me it was only 2 to 3 weeks. What I found this time was the longer I remain sober, the easier it gets. I am sure you will find the same if you stick with it. Good Luck!
Old 06-05-2017, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you willing and ready to do whatever it takes to embrace sobriety and live an abundant, sober life?

Are you willing and ready to say aloud, admit to yourself and to the world and your deepest Self:

I am powerless over alcohol and my life has become unmanageable?

Old 06-05-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Are you willing and ready to do whatever it takes to embrace sobriety and live an abundant, sober life?

Are you willing and ready to say aloud, admit to yourself and to the world and your deepest Self:

I am powerless over alcohol and my life has become unmanageable?

Thank you for this. I know for a fact I am powerless of alcohol and my life is definitely unmanageable currently. I in the past have always gotten hung up on admitting my addiction and disease to the world. I have always felt the need to maintain this picture perfect life and world to everyone around me. Of course those who have been in my life for any amount of time have witnessed my addiction and destruction.

I need to stop hiding behind this "perfect girl" facade
Old 06-05-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

^^Glad you said the above, and that you are posting here.

For me, when I reached the point Free Owl described and was DONE drinking, I began an AA program that has become my living, breathing way of life. There are other paths and programs out there (just SR for some, AVRT, etc for others) and the crucial commonality is that those of us staying and living in recovery have a program of action that specifically involves our efforts on sobriety. I do not say "work" because for me, the problem has been removed and my energy is all about living a peaceful and emotionally sober life (vs on not drinking).

You can quit for good- I hope you take this chance and make it your last start.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
nmd

It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you are still drinking, but it is there. You can get sober, if you are willing to do what it takes to stop drinking no matter what. I had to let go of a lot of "stuff", and
admit addiction and forget about the possibility drinking again. Change my ideas of a perfect life. Let go of people or worries about people who have no concern for my well being. But first, i had to stop drinkimg.
Welcome!
Old 06-05-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you are still drinking, but it is there. You can get sober, if you are willing to do what it takes to stop drinking no matter what. I had to let go of a lot of "stuff", and
admit addiction and forget about the possibility drinking again. Change my ideas of a perfect life. Let go of people or worries about people who have no concern for my well being. But first, i had to stop drinkimg.
Welcome!
Ty for this...I am getting too caught up on things I need to do and such but really what I need to do for today is to just get through this sober and take my butt to work tonight regardless of how horrible I feel emotionally/physically. I know tomorrow will be a better day and I wont be feeling so out of it.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome- keep posting, look- read, research, post, share. Lots of threads, lots of stories.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Fightingforme17
Support is a great help[ and you're find that here - I hope you'll check out the 'Class of June' support thread - all you need to do to join is post.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-one-7.html

I also recommend thinking about a recovery plan

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

D
Old 06-05-2017, 05:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fightingforme17 View Post
Thank you for this. I know for a fact I am powerless of alcohol and my life is definitely unmanageable currently.
Wonderful.

Then here is my suggestion; stop worrying about what you 'need to stop' doing, and instead begin immediately focusing on what you WANT TO START DOING instead.

"I need to stop hiding behind this perfect girl facade"......

"I WANT to be authentic and learn about my true self so I can life in alignment with her".

"I NEED to stop drinking"

"I WANT to embrace sobriety and am ready to do whatever it takes"

Get the drift?

You can do this.