Notices

Just heard from a woman, 50 years old, with cirrhosis

Old 06-03-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gratitude Gardener

Just heard from a woman, 50 years old, with cirrhosis

REALITY HIT.

In my other group a woman just came on board. Said she quit drinking last July after a DUI. Nothing.

Then last month she went for a check up and found out she has cirrhosis...

She has three kids under 17 years old to raise, and a drinking husband.

She said the diagnois shocked her. She FEELS FINE.

I am only 7 years her junior.

50 is YOUNG.

DON'T DRINK, KIDS.

I dont know how bad her drinking was but for some of us cirrhosis can happen way sooner... many drinks sooner... than for others. And you never know which person you will be.

So sad for her. <3

But... out of her misery I was given a gift of realising even more deeply how drinking is NOT AN OPTION FOR ME EVER AGAIN.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am very sorry for the woman in your group. Hopefully sustained sobriety will keep her disease from progressing.

I knew a woman who died of cirrhosis at the tender age of 48; she, too, left behind children.

Truly tragic.

Recovery rocks; let's stick with it!!!!
Old 06-03-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, that's scary. So sorry for her and her family. Hopefully with time, sobriety and a healthy diet it will improve. My brother in law has fatty liver and continues to drink heavily. It is a worry. I too CANNOT drink ever again. Or I'll be headed down that path. Thanks for the post, Herc.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Yeah there is so many people who is dying from alcohol and really its not just alcohol its there life style.
I am 46 and has fatty liver disease, i know somone who died at 49 which was due to drink and another who died of heart attack, it all links. Medication, diet, all sorts of things can contribute to liver disease but i know that ur liver can regenerate if we give it a chance. Like all its our living and our own body that will say its had enough. Its about what we think and what we are prepared to do to live. in the end we wont live we are all going to die regardless.sooner, younger, older. My dad is an alcoholic and hes still alive, my uncle died in 40s due to drink and then my grandfather he died due to stomach cancer which its all linked as they all drink.

good luck on your journey, sry im in a down mood tonight x
Old 06-03-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So young.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Gratitude Gardener

I need to apologize to EVERYONE if my post seemed insensitive (or IS insensitive).

I feel deep fear of that particular disease, so I had a major reaction, and, rightly I think, used that story today as more fuel and ammo against any backsliding I might do in the future when it comes to picking up a drink.

But to anyone with this diagnosis, you have my sympathy... And my hugs and love... AND... I happen to be a HUGE believer in miracles and positive mind-sets and how they can take a person really shockingly far in healing. I know thoughts count... BIGLY ...when it comes to healing. Thats one of the main things that my writing in my blogs talks about. That and spirituality.

But I do apologize if I triggered anyone with this post. I didnt mean to come off insensitive.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Herc, I'm not triggered or think you're insensitive. When it comes to drug and alcohol addiction I think there are a whole host of other factors that come into play. The addiction is just one slice of the pie. In reality, often the addiction leads to gambling, infidelity, violence, financial hardship etc....That's the ugly side of addiction many want to avoid.

As far as the actual disease, my wife and I have known 6 people that have died in the last 2 years due to purely alcohol addiction. The OLDEST one was 46. Sad.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the good thing,herc, is this does NOT mean its a death sentence for her.
heres a thread i started about old joe- someone that helped me tremendously

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ssed-away.html

he lived for many years after learning he had cirrhosis.

personally i didnt read anything insensitive in your post,herc. i read compassion, care, and concern.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

My liver starting to ache was the kick in the pants I needed to quit.