Notices

Day One again... But this time, somethings different

Old 06-03-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One again... But this time, somethings different

I have tried unsuccessfully to either moderate my drinking or white knuckle being sober. Going on 3 or 4? years now. I have two sons. One is 2.5 and one just turned one. How the hell have I been drinking this much and still taking care of them? A lot of personal sacrifice on my part I guess. Most mornings are dreadful. I talked to my husband in the middle of the night and Begged him for help. I am telling my parents today I have a problem (which is the scariest part in this) I feel like I will have let them down yet again. I am even looking into rehab this time. I have learned I cannot do this on my own anymore. What I have been trying hasn't worked. I need help. That's as simple as it gets. I NEED HELP. I hope I get it. There's never a good time to quit is there.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cleo - you are young and have an awareness that something is wrong. USE this...do not put it on hold. AA meetings- look/go to rehab. Get a counsellor. Do whatever it takes. The progressive creeping up of alcoholism is dangerous and subtle. If you accept you need help- as you have, then listen to what is offered. Other cannot 'cure' you or rescue you- only you can do that. It is not a path you need walk alone. SR is very good for me in the night. BUT f-f is also very important to me- for charging up my sober battery to prevent relapse. I was sincerely remorseful every day after drinking and stuff going wrong. Keep your momentum going. Empathy and support to you. You need to stop drinking for -you first. Not for your family- for you. Otherwise they will suffer as well. Go to a meeting. They do not bite. PJ
Old 06-03-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you made those moves Cleopatra....I personally feel honesty is the cornerstone of recovery...especially to ourselves. I hope you can make the best use of whatever support becomes available. I wasted several moments of my life with my children because of my drinking....glad to hear you are making this change while they are so young.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Reaching out to those closest may seem like the best option, though unless they have a drinking issue themselves, they won't understand.
This is great you are reaching out to this forum, there is also AA meetings that will help you on your journey.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AA is a good way to begin. Godsend for me in early sobriety.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

What you are doing in opening up and seeking help is commendable Cleopatra. Not trying to maintain a "front" will be a weight off of you shoulders.

All the best.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm on day 7 and can relate to your words. It's different for me this time too. I have accepted that I cannot drink. Moderation is not an option. I am working on my sobriety instead of thinking it will come by chance or simply because I want it. In another thread someone said sobriety is like have a second job. I concur, it's something we have to work on every day. Wishing you well in your recovery.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to see you back and wanting to work on your problem Cleopatra
whats the plan from here?

D
Old 06-04-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

Cleopatra4

how are you today?