Notices

Hello All

Old 06-02-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello All

Hello,

So, I suppose I am indeed just starting my journey toward sobriety. And it's kind of scary. It's taken a lot of admitting that most of the problems in my life will pass...that I'm fully able to take care of them (with time and effort)...and that the alcohol is the one thing that's been a real problem.

I tried the cutting back thing for a few months, but at the end of the day it ended with me just being unable to say no to another drink. And so on and so forth. Until I had had a lot of them. I just got off the phone with my Dad who is a huge support in my life, and gave him the unedited version of what's been going on in my life the last few months. It was difficult, but worth it.

Right now I'm just struggling with feeling like a monster. I slipped up and drank way too much last night...again...for what feels like the 100th time over the last 8-9 months. It's driving my girlfriend crazy. We've been together most our lives and I don't want to lose her. But back to the monster thing. I can pick 10 times yesterday I could have not ended up in the situation drinking that I did if I had just said or done something differently. But I didn't. And I just wish I could go back in time and make that different decision. Recently, my relationship with my girlfriend had been mending and I think I was really showing her I wouldn't keep doing this to her. And then I did. I wish I could take it back and make a different decision yesterday than I did. How do I get over that feeling and live with what I did? I feel like a monster, and want to cry all day.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by TamraMaew View Post
How do I get over that feeling and live with what I did? I feel like a monster, and want to cry all day.
You can't change the past. The only way for an alcoholic to live with the drunken mistakes of his past is too not repeat them. Get sober. Stay sober. The shame of yesterday will fade over time.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, TamraMaew. Sounds like you would lke to make a change. Chances of success are greatly enhanced when we have a recovery program.
Whether it's AA, SMART, Refuge Recovery, or counselling and therapy, sources of support are key to maintaining sobriety.
The time to stop drinking is now. The longer you wait, the more damage is done, and it's far harder to stop.
Good luck.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You can't change the past. The only way for an alcoholic to live with the drunken mistakes of his past is too not repeat them. Get sober. Stay sober. The shame of yesterday will fade over time.
I think the toughest part is...I had "sort of" stopped and gone a month without any of those shameful yesterdays. Yesterday taught me how fragile that balance is.

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Welcome to SR, TamraMaew. Sounds like you would lke to make a change. Chances of success are greatly enhanced when we have a recovery program.
Whether it's AA, SMART, Refuge Recovery, or counselling and therapy, sources of support are key to maintaining sobriety.
The time to stop drinking is now. The longer you wait, the more damage is done, and it's far harder to stop.
Good luck.
Thank you! I made a therapy appointment the second I sobered up. It's time for me to tell my therapist I'm really making the quit and getting the professional help side of the help I need. It'll be nice to admit it not only to the people in my life but the professionals I've worked with for other help in my life too. This first day at the very least has been a lesson in being honest with myself and others.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome TamraMaew

The really good news is you never have to feel this way again

We can;t undo the decisions we made in the past but we an make the right ones today tomorrow and from now on

There's great support here - hope to see you around some more

D
Old 06-02-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

double post

Last edited by Dee74; 06-03-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum TamraMaew!!
Old 06-03-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Forgive yourself, and go tell her how you feel. Show her or tell her what you just wrote in your post. Share it with her.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome TM - very glad to meet you. Sharing my thoughts here made all the difference to me, after 30 yrs. of drinking. I hope you feel the same.