Notices

LATE night thoughts

Old 06-02-2017, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

LATE night thoughts

Sorry for another post so soon!

I've had trouble sleeping this week so I've done TOO MUCH thinking and last night it dawned on me that every time I drank on weekends, I really drank to get that "autopilot" feeling where I could be with myself, a potential mate and friends and really not be myself. For me it was better to let the alcohol take care of things and pick up the pieces the next morning. I'm realizing that's not the true me.

I had a family member say "when you drink you're a different person and I know it's not the real you." For so long I thought that WAS the real me and I was so uncomfortable in my skin otherwise. I think sticking through this journey will allow me to get to know myself again and form real bonds. Although I'm sure it will be lonely for a little bit while I shed all the 'drinking buddies.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi djm527,

I say post away as much as you want and need...I cant imagine anyone on SR having an issue with someone utilising the site to support their sobriety 😊

Although I haven't had issues sleeping this week I am so drained and tired from all of the reflecting, reassessment of my life and planning for thriving in sobriety...which is all great...but has definitely taken it out of me.

Hope you get some much needed rest and relaxation x
Old 06-02-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
waking down

Congrats on your progress. To get off the mental hamster wheel, you might try listening to this. Just follow the instructions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8oKWQiEWYs
Old 06-02-2017, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi djm. Yes, definitely post as much as you want - that's why we're all here.

I agree with everything you said. I like the autopilot analogy - so very true! It's hard to learn to live again and become the authentic 'us' - but I'm glad we are free. I find I'm still maturing - even at my age.