Notices

Did anyone have bruises all over

Old 06-01-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did anyone have bruises all over

Was just noticing this on a friend who has a major problem drinking.

I had so many it was incredible.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to wake up with black eyes several deep forehead gashes that should have had stiches. Then hide in my house for werks until they started to heal. But sometimes had to go to work all banged up. Don't have to worry about getting fired ad I am self employed but making up bogus stories was very embarrassing and pretty sure that I wasnt fooling anyone. But as has been noted in other posts construction workers are known for crazy behavior and tolerated if they have strong work ethnic. Work hard and play hard.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used to have bruises all over I chip my tooth my sister fixed she is a dentist, some guy cut me with a bottle of beer in my arm. I have been In battle I understand
Old 06-01-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I bruised a lot more easily towards the end of my drinking days, not sure why but yet another thing that improved after quitting.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
2/2016

Alcohol thins your blood. That is why you bruise easier. I know I sure did. Not anymore.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Use to get them all the time from banging into things, falling over, etc. Not fun stuff.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I bruise really, really easily. I never thought it could be to do with alcohol. Thought it was just the way my body was made.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
01/28/2017

yeah i would bruise really easy when i got heavy in to the drinking. i have read that an injured liver makes the body more prone to bruising. on top of that i would stumble around a lot at night and fall in to things, so lots of bruises.

now that i am a few months sober i don't bruise as easy any more.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, bruises from falling and smashing into things in my case.

Doesn't happen anymore now that I've stopped drinking. Wishing you all of the very best.

My ego was also bruised, you just couldn't see those bruises.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh yes, and more:

- bruises all up and down legs, on shoulders, back, etc. would have no recollection how I got them
- purple and broken toes from god knows what, broke both big toes at the same time
- gave myself a black eye in the shower
- hit my head twice, second time had six stitches
- severely skinned knee, scar tissue now a good reminder

...and more.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. I would wake up and sometimes know where they came from, many times not a clue. I don't miss it at all.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At the end, yes. I looked like a battered woman.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to get large bruises from just a slight bump. I have 17 months of sobriety and this doesn't happen anymore. It is one of many positive physical changes.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, half of mine were from banging into tons of things getting up and down all night in the dark, usually to stave off withdrawal or put myself back to sleep. At the end, I was up every 35 minutes. When I was admitted to the hospital, I looked like a battered woman. I was with my husband, but they didn't even suspect him, since this is common symptom.

Chipped a tooth, put a small dent in my forehead, etc. But mostly, the bruises were just all up and down legs and arms.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Holy moley yes. As has been stated, the alcohol thinned my blood. Also, towards the end, I didn't eat or sleep, so my body just didn't have what it needed to heal itself. Before I went in for detox five+ years ago, I was working in a brewery. I know, and yes, it was as out of control as you are guessing. One morning, I was loading a truck for deliveries, and I fell in between the loading dock and the truck. Twice. Yeah, stumbling drunk at 7:00 in the morning. But those cuts and bruises were there for over a month. And when I went into the hospital for detox, I started getting food and fluids and vitamins, and I was mostly healed after being in there for one week.

And during this last relapse, ending in February, 2016, my legs were a wreck too. I had fallen down the stairs several times, and broke my foot somehow. I looked like I fell feet first into a wood chipper.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I rolled my left ankle RUNNING down a flight of stairs. I missed the last step and literally landed on my ankle bone. I didn't spill the vodka and pizza I was carrying at the time of course. Nice combo, vodka and pizza. That's when you know you've REALLY got a problem, BTW.
Anyhoo, I rolled it so bad I thought I was going to pass out. Even today it sort of clicks when I run and I have to baby it.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
clean & sober

bruising

sorry guys. the bruises aren't from fighting or even beating yourself up. the bruising is due to the fact that blood vessels are getting weak from all the garbage you are trying to shove into them. they are starting to break down and cause bruising. that is what a bruise is afterall (blood getting caught under the skin). If it doesn't get better, they will increase in size and frequency. eventually will lead to internal bleeding, hemorrhaging and death. sorry for the graphics, but its true
Old 06-03-2017, 01:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I used to find lots of random bruises on myself that I could never remember how I received because I was blacking out. I also broke a toe while stumbling around the house in bare feet, smashing it into a chair. Didn't spill my drink though.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes, I'd end up with bruises and no idea where they came from. Didn't help that my blood was so thin from booze and aspirin.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have been bruised, beaten, injured and cut while drinking.