Notices

Things you're most looking forward to

Old 06-01-2017, 05:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things you're most looking forward to

I wasn't sure whether to tag this on to the Class of June thread or start a new one so please feel free to move it if appropriate.

I was just wondering what all the people that have recently started their journey of sobriety are most looking forward to? Whether it's having more money, better relationships etc

I know one of the main things I'm looking forward to is not sweating so much!

I realise it's may be low down the list for a lot of people but I'm looking forward to be able to go into work or out for a walk without a constant film of sweat.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sobriety. One of my many reasons for getting sober is that I don't want to be remembered as the guy who drank himself to death.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm excited to live a life without that morning guilt/shame/anxiety ever again
Old 06-01-2017, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gratitude Gardener

(Herculana raises her hand) "ME, ME, ME!!!"

GREAT POST!

I am looking forward to being awake and aware to my family, friends, and my pets. To be better for them. To have richer experiences with them all that are, whether good or bad, still.... they will be... AUTHENTIC MOMENTS. The Real Deal.

Looking forward to a far more balanced life with steadier periods of ticking along with life, instead of being a broken clock badly in need of repairs and telling everyone the wrong time all the time.

Looking forward to being the higher quality individual I know that I AM.

Looking forward to watching that sad broken record from hell, the one that terrorized my life with its CRAZY CREEPY CIRCUS TUNE, sail off into the skies away from me, disappearing as it gets farther away...
as I frisbee that f*cker off into the deep blue horizon.

All it ever played was a desolate shame and self hatred, on repeat, ad nauseum.

Giddy to see it go.

Looking forward to health and yoga again. Looking forward to having a lot more money.

Looking forward to better prospects romantically (although, I could care less about that right now, its nice that its in my future).

There's so much more... But for now, this will do.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

self worth
Old 06-01-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thought!! I am most looking forward to improved relationships, authentic interactions, genuine interest regained in the things I love to do without feeling like it's just a distraction from alcoholic obsession. I also hope to inspire some of my friends, who are wonderful people but most of whom have unhealthy relationships with alcohol, to consider why they drink and to see that it's not a necessity to have fun :-)
Old 06-01-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to getting my mind back. It feels like a fog. Just being sober 2 days and I've realized I will do a better job at work not having alcohol in my system constantly (never drank on the job, but wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't in my system because of the quantity I drank at night).

I also look forward to not dreading seeing a neighbor when I take the dogs out so I don't have to try to talk without a slur. The embarrassing times when I think I can talk ok until I open my mouth and it's obvious I'm drunk.

I'm ready to feel like a productive member of society. A person who actually has a life instead of being holed up in my apartment with the bottle.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

These are all great! I can relate to pretty much all of them too.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post !

Mine is really simple - every nite when I go to bed I look forward to the early morning rise with a cup of tea !

Just me and tea! No headaches , sweats, throwing up ..😊
Old 06-01-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good post and good job on getting sober! It's a gift and leads to so many things to look forward to , and see happening.

I am a little over 15 mo sober (465 days). At first, I looked forward to things like not sweating as much, hands stopping to shake, and I had to just believe that my serious withdrawal and PAWS symptoms would eventually go away. I looked forward to the nightmares abating and the overwhelming fatigue passing. I looked forward to LIVING as I was on the point of death when I quit. Even when I didn't know what living would mean.

As I built a little time, I began to look forward to meetings with my AA home group. And spending time deliberately scheduled with friends. And starting to walk then run again. And going to work.

There's a lot that has happened and truly, I have everything to look forward to and absolutely nothing that was better then or that I miss.

Now, right now? I look forward to getting engaged and moving in with my beloved in the next six or so weeks. I look forward to learning how to be an official step mother to the 15 year old I have been getting to know and care about in the last year. I look forward to a grateful sober life where I lead a recovery group for the restaurant industry here in Atlanta, I run a 5K every month with my beloved, I love to cook and ....

I look forward to every day. Every day. Because I am grateful to be here and to have seen and be seeing the promises coming true in my life.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Literally everything that I used to enjoy before drinking... but a few are
-Really hard workouts at the gym without the fear that I'm going to push myself into DTs
-Playing video games and disappearing into a fantasy land
- Having a full week where I don't even think about drinking once
-Waking up full of energy
Old 06-01-2017, 10:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm also looking forward to getting back in to my hobbies or simply being fit and able to leave the house on my days off.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I look forward to losing some more weight, and getting to know more friends through AA.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Finding Me
Old 06-01-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
I'm looking forward to getting my mind back. It feels like a fog. Just being sober 2 days and I've realized I will do a better job at work not having alcohol in my system constantly (never drank on the job, but wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't in my system because of the quantity I drank at night).

I also look forward to not dreading seeing a neighbor when I take the dogs out so I don't have to try to talk without a slur. The embarrassing times when I think I can talk ok until I open my mouth and it's obvious I'm drunk.

I'm ready to feel like a productive member of society. A person who actually has a life instead of being holed up in my apartment with the bottle.
I feel you! On day four here myself.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Looking forward to not feeling like Death warmed up.. Oops Think I put this in an incorrect thread. Very sorry but not the best with technology.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Poppywillow View Post
Looking forward to not feeling like Death warmed up.. Oops Think I put this in an incorrect thread. Very sorry but not the best with technology.
Nope - right thread
Old 06-01-2017, 12:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes but put it in bobeka 1 year in 4 days also & couldn't delete it. Hardly ever posted in 5 years then make a hash of it!!
Old 06-01-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Poppywillow View Post
Yes but put it in bobeka 1 year in 4 days also & couldn't delete it. Hardly ever posted in 5 years then make a hash of it!!
Lol. It's ok, I won't tell anyone if you don't.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think about this a lot. I'm at 130 days. Making great progress, but physical recovery has been slower than I would have liked. Looking forward to better health, losing weight, not being tired in the afternoon, getting abs back, fitting back into my old threads. Waking up in the morning after refreshing, energizing sleep.