Notices

Make June 2017 a turning point Weekender 2nd - 4th June

Old 06-01-2017, 03:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Make June 2017 a turning point Weekender 2nd - 4th June

I began my last day of drinking by waking up drunk. I was also in pain, in addition to the continual abdominal pains that afflicted me I also had a painful and swollen ankle from drunkenly stepping into a shallow culvert (the ankle is permanently weak now) I don't remember but presumably I had a hangover.

By this point in my life drinking was all I did when not at work so I did what I always did and set off to the shops to buy more scotch. I must have looked a sorry state in yesterdays clothes and a bad limp. It was only on the way back to my flat that I realised something else was wrong, it was getting light and there were few people about. It was 8am.

It was 8am on one of the days between christmas and new year - for me a kind of uber weekend with minimal family commitments (by this time I was long divorced and living alone). I was spotted by a neighbour as I struggled up the stairs who looked very anxiously at me and asked if I was OK. I can't remember what my reply was.

Later that day I woke up in bed thinking I had wet myself but it was spilled scotch. There was broken glass digging in my side. At this point I knew I was going to die of booze one way or another and that worse awaited me.

I knew I had to stop saying "I quit" and then start drinking again once I had recovered a little so amongst other changes I stopped being an occasional lurker and joined SR where I discovered that even people as "bad" as myself had pulled back from the brink.

Weekends are often the epicenter of the drinkers week because well, everyone else is doing it aren't they? No as it turns out. If you can beat the addiction at the weekend then the weekdays will be no harder and likely a bit easier.

It doesn't matter if you have not stopped yet - all you need is the desire to quit. Try hanging out with people who are either in the same boat or who have been but now have a bit of success in stopping. Just don't stop trying!

Old 06-01-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks as always Sao

D
Old 06-01-2017, 03:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Thank Sao, I began my last day of drinking by waking up sick, it felt as tho everything were going to explode forth out of my abdomen. But more than that I was getting really sick an tired of wanting to quit but and the inability to take action. That health scare was what finally did it. Sad it had to go that far, but glad it didn't get any farther. I'm a very happy person these days.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Good opener Sao!

I didn't being my last day of drinking by feeling too badly but I certainly made up for it later in the day when I woke up staring at bars and concrete walls.

Never again...................never again.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am in! This is a great post Sao! Quite the reminder on those benders how I could wake up so sick, but yet still replace vodka with my morning coffee. I have a super busy weekend coming up. My daughter goes for her drivers license, she also goes to compete in the state track meet! We also have a boatload of graduation parties. It will be nice to know that I can face each day not feeling like the death warmed over that you speak about in this post. Thank you for the reminder. Have a great weekend SR!!
Old 06-01-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi gang, congratulations on shotgun Dee even if you didn't call it.

I have read a lot of other people's first days but perhaps because I am a bit mood sensitive I had not put my own out there and thought that it was about time I did. When I said that I knew I would die if I carried on drinking that wasn't a figure of speech or a reaction to a bad hangover, if I had carried on it would have only been another few years at most.

Thanks for sharing LadyBlue and STD, you are both doing great now. Hi Behappy, congratulations to yourself and your daughter. Enjoy those graduation parties.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm in!
soooooooo glad those horrible days are very over-I love waking up without a hangover everyday.
Thanks Sao-
Old 06-01-2017, 06:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in! My last day of drinking (December 4, 2014) started out no differently than any other day - A few glasses of wine at the local watering hole. It ended up with me in handcuffs, with my third DUI, and a car that was almost totaled, taking another car with it (no one was hurt - the other car was parked and I was fine, except for the humiliation). I had an awakening at the police department that night - I knew I had to be done forever. The damage was becoming too great - in all areas of my life. I sought help that night - called a sober friend and spilled my guts. Started outpatient treatment one week later. Started going to AA. Joined SR about a month into sobriety. I got my full driving privileges back last week - but more importantly, I have my life back. My turning point saved my life, I'm quite sure of it. Getting sober was the best thing I have ever done.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I woke up after the last day of my drinking in the intensive care unit of the hospital. So glad to not have that drama in my life anymore! The weekends are truly enjoyed now with participating in life not just drinking the hours away
Old 06-01-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Thank you for the opener, Sao!

My last day of drinking wasn't the worst one.

The worst was a few days before I quit.

I drank somewhat about 2.5 bottles of wine - my all-time record. Next day I felt like my liver was stuck in my throat. I had strong taste of bile in the mouth. My head was simultaneously spinning and splitting into thousand pieces. I couldn't maintain even a sitting position, let alone got to my feet.

I was scared to death. I cried because I felt helpless. Ashamed. Worthless. Trapped...

On the last day of my alcohol consumption I had a couple of beers - still that stupid "farewell drink". It is the kind of "farewells" which gives illusion that you are losing something very precious, and then looking back you realize that this "precious" was a toxic place to run the hell away from.

Run, Weekender, run!

Run to better life, to freedom, to real self.

Have a great weekend, everyone)
Old 06-01-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm in. Thanks, Sao.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Im in for this weekend xx
Old 06-01-2017, 09:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for another great opening post, Sao. Very topical too, as getting through weekends was, by far, the hardest part of getting sober for me. All that free time I had to fill.

There were so many weekends during my drinking career that I barely, if at all, remember. Missed out on a lot, too. I would get off of work Friday afternoon, hit the liquor store on the way home and pick up something to eat, then that was it. No friends, no family, no interaction at all...just me, my booze, and the TV & computer. And I HAD friends and family close by...but I would have rather drank myself into oblivion than interact with them. Pretty much repeat this process all weekend, then Monday morning would be a dumpster fire as I tried to get ready for work in the midst of heavy withdrawal. The best was waking up at 3am or so Monday morning, unable to go back to sleep, but still three hours until I had to be up. Take a couple of swigs to knock myself out, then it would MURDER when I had to get up three hours later.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, again.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm in Sao and looking forward to another sober weekend. Glad you stopped drinking when you did Sao!

My last encounter with alcohol was 2/21/17. My husband and I drank 6 bottles of wine together. It was one of the few drinking occasions that we didn't end up fighting by the end of the night. The next morning I woke up feeling like I'd been feeling practically every morning for years: shaky, fearful, nauseated, exhausted, hopeless and freight train running through my head. One look at myself in the mirror and I knew it was time to change my life... And I did.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

June was actually the month of turning point for me!
On June 14, 2005 I had my last drink. I did not have any idea that it would be my last drink.
At the time I could not even imagine a life without alcohol.
Now I cannot imagine a life where alcohol would have any place.

I am in for the weekend!!
Old 06-01-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I didn't even realize it was June til just now when I saw this thread title.

I am in!

I am finally going to start attending meetings regularly.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olive1 View Post
June was actually the month of turning point for me!
On June 14, 2005 I had my last drink. I did not have any idea that it would be my last drink.
At the time I could not even imagine a life without alcohol.
Now I cannot imagine a life where alcohol would have any place.

I am in for the weekend!!
Happy anniversary a little early.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Wow, 12 years! That is awesome Olive, congratulations!
Old 06-01-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

In.
Thanks Saou.
And congratulations olive.
Hugs xx
Old 06-01-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's almost like having another job! As long as I stay sober I'm like Hey, there's still money in my bank account.....

Count me in!!!