Notices

Make June 2017 a turning point Weekender 2nd - 4th June

Old 06-06-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

My oldest communicated by backtalking; my second communicated by teasing and humor; my third communicated by studying what the others said, then going with those answers; my fourth was always Mr. Kick Back and Chill, and my last one was definitely the family mascot, the ultimate good sport.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

We're close and very friendly with all the kids nowadays--but the one who is the very closest is the one who was the vicious backtalker in youth!
Old 06-06-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

I really just meant newborns. They say a lot without any words. :P

We also got to watch a circumcision today. Um. No.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Sorry to be boring about my kids--it's hard to find a parent who isn't.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

I didn't say that. I have friends with teenagers.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

I'll say one thing about teenagers: there's never a dull moment!
Old 06-06-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
saoutchik

5 children Glimmer! You must still be catching up on missed sleep even now. I bet you did a great job though.

Brenda, I hope that once your exams are finished you won't feel the need to drink, I know two days out of seven isn't bad but it creeps up you.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Exhaustion is the thing that gets me every time... I will be mentally too tired to study or clean, yet I'm too stressed to just chill out, and so the path of the least resistance is to have a few drinks. I wasn't going to do anything other than stress anyway. It's not a good excuse, I know.

It was so important to me to get a few solid months of sobriety in before I started back to school, and it was easy to get it and maintain it because I wasn't under an enormous amount of stress. I had some drama in my life but it was work drama and predictable and controllable, and I was able to find new stress coping mechanisms, for the little kind of stressful things. I went back to school and I fell back in to my early programming because stress was SO increased...

I seem to have very black and white thinking. I should be studying, and there's nothing else that is important right now. I don't have a care plan to obsess over this week because it's my observation day tomorrow. So I'll have free time and I will force myself to study for Monday's test until I completely exhaust my brain and spending time doing anything else feels like cheating on the wife I'm supposed to be fully committed to. My mistress doesn't mind or judge when I run straight to her every time.

I need to get out more.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Canada Province Rat-Free for 50 Years
Old 06-06-2017, 06:29 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

My wife and I quit smoking in April of 2000 after many unsuccessful attempts (I think that's about the time I learned how to hide an addiction). However, to this day my wife still chews the nicotine gum. Better than smoking but almost as expensive.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:29 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
I know I come here and talk about recovery non-related stuff... This has become part of my routine for decompressing at the end of the day, if it's a crazy day..

I'm in bed right now. I'd go to a meeting if I felt like moving at all, but I don't. On the plus side, that means I'm not going to the liquor store..

This is not a means of staying sober..

I went back out two days in a row.. I get to where I feel really really good and then I go back out. I won't drink tomorrow then Thursday my mood will be almost too happy, level off Friday, Saturday I begin to get cranky and I drive past a particular bar and grill and get a 6 pack of pounders. Sunday I am tired and don't study (this time around luckily I studied enough and studied the right way, and did very well even without going over it again on Sunday). Stressed Monday after exam and several hours of packed lecture, and I go back out again, waking up with a hangover for clinical, feeling so drained at the end of clinical day one that I have no interest to do it Tuesday night... repeat cycle..

So I drink two nights a week, and AV is using this fact to it's advantage.. as well as the fact that I can stay focused all day, learn, ask questions, etc at clinical despite a hangover...

On another note, can I just say newborns absolutely terrify me? Omg, any desire I might have had to have a baby of my own is gone.
Brenda, thank you for sharing something so raw and honest. I can identify with what you said. Minus my horrific, assured, eventual rock bottoms your drinking sounds a lot like mine was. I'm glad you're here.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
My wife and I quit smoking in April of 2000 after many unsuccessful attempts (I think that's about the time I learned how to hide an addiction). However, to this day my wife still chews the nicotine gum. Better than smoking but almost as expensive.
How did things go with the doctor ST?

I think I'm going to be doing this ecig for a while. I may try the gum after I'm a bit more comfortable
Old 06-06-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

So the doctors appointment went very well. All levels are normal, liver function, B12, Thyroid, blood sugar, urinalysis you name it. And surprisingly cholesterol too. I've always had elevated levels but I was surprised because I had stopped exercise and my diet is somewhat worse than when I was drinking. I didn't know there was a link between alcohol and cholesterol. Unsurprisingly my weight is up and I've been told to head back to the gym. Think I'll by a sturdy pair of runners first my feet are not what they use to be.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

That's great, Dragon.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:49 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone, happy hump day.

Congratulations on the test results Dragon, it is always nice to get a clean bill of health.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:35 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Fabulous news Dragon.
Gilmer 5 children!!!! I thought I had my hands full with 4😂 and elderly parents to look after!
Thanks Saou I needed reminding that it was hump day, I'm exhausted.
Hugs xx
Old 06-07-2017, 02:38 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

That's great news STDragon!!!!

Gilmer, 5 kids, wow, I kneel on the floor and bow to you. I had one and that was enough for me. They say having one child isn't fair because you always know who did it when something breaks
Old 06-07-2017, 04:27 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

The big payoff is when they turn 16 and learn to drive: then you can send them on errands!
Old 06-07-2017, 05:52 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Great to hear on your lab results, STDragon!

Like hearing about your kids, Gilmer. I have 3 and they are all so different!

Happy Wednesday, everyone!
Old 06-07-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Today is the oldest's birthday: she's 31!

Holy cow, I'm old!