Notices

Make June 2017 a turning point Weekender 2nd - 4th June

Old 06-05-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Congrats on the great score Brenda. I've seen two births, I had no choice in the matter since they were my kids

I am ashamed to admit that during the second one, I was watching the clock wanting to leave so I could make it to the cold beer store before they closed at 2am. I never made it, nor did I clue in on that as a sign I had a problem.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:29 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Good morning everyone,

I've had one helluva cold over the past week. Yesterday I was hacking and coughing and still lighting up a cigarette. Until I pulled a muscle. That's when I decided, I'm done. I'm getting older and I just can't do this anymore. Looking forward to the benefits of being a non smoker.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 06-06-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Congratulations, LB!
Old 06-06-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good for you LadyBlue.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:46 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I have a doctors appointment this morning. I get to find out the results of the test they ran.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

A mouse was caught in the trap by the tail overnight and released into the wild by my incredibly patient dad this morning I have a real dislike of things that scurry around. I know there are probably more in the house and my dad said he would go into the attic this week and lay down some poison but I told him he has a busy week ahead so don't put himself under pressure. The main one is gone so that's a plus
Old 06-06-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good decision LadyBlue, so many benefits and not just health benefits but i'm sure you are aware of that already. The best thing about it is that eventually you don't have to "actively recover" or remain on your guard or work steps or anything, the desire just goes. I guess that if you had a partner who smoked that might make it a bit harder but these days it is easy to avoid smokers.

I hope the cold/flu clears up asap, it's no fun at all.

Tetra I would not get to anxious about an occaisional mouse, I expect many or even most ground floors get visits from time to time.

Good luck Dragon

It rained continuously from about 5pm yesterday to 1pm today with varying degrees of intensity and temperature wise it feels like we are back in March, ah the great british summer
Old 06-06-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Hi - very cold and rainy here again. But I will not drink and have picked up my old skill of rug hooking again. Working on not looking back.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
I have a doctors appointment this morning. I get to find out the results of the test they ran.
Thinking of you STDragon!
Old 06-06-2017, 09:03 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Thanks Gilmer I've put it off and put it off. This is a weird feeling, not smoking. Entirely different than quitting drinking. I am using the ecig and as little as possible. So far it's worked. When I get really antsy I just take a few hits off of it and the craving goes away.

Sao, my husband is so happy right now. He absolutely hates smoking. He's only put up with it because of me. I never smoke in the house, ever, not even in subzero temps. We have an enclosed front porch. I like that I won't have to freeze out there anymore!

What I've also found in the more recent years is there are less smokers all around. There are now far less people outside AA meetings than there used to be (or it's maybe just the ones I attend). I've been to parties where I've felt like the outcast, finding someplace outside to go so no one will see me smoke. Smoking is now no longer the cool thing it used to be, it's a bit PITA.

I'm giving it my best shot!
Old 06-06-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Tetra- there was a f/b post the other day from li'll ol 'stralya. A Huntsman spider (harmless- but they grow big and can jump a long way- kind of like 'em) dragging a dead mouse up the front of a fridge.
Rats, rats and snakes inside. Make that rats anywhere- I hate rats. Will not share rat stories ,oh alright - one.... I got bitten by one last year (in a recovery place- rats a problem in any city). When I told my counsellor she said I could be being paranoid and it could be a spider. Jeez- the incisor bite marks were about half a cm apart. Big spider- would have seen it (I did see a rat, I hate rats).
Old 06-06-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

the rat was call 'B2'. After the song- 'Ben'. There was a guy then there called Ben- he was B1.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:46 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
saoutchik

One of my uncles who lives in Aus says that Funnel Web Spiders are the ones to watch out for along with the legendary "dunny" spider which would be very demoralizing
Old 06-06-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sigh! It has started pis.. er persistently raining again and I need to food shop
Old 06-06-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

I know I come here and talk about recovery non-related stuff... This has become part of my routine for decompressing at the end of the day, if it's a crazy day..

I'm in bed right now. I'd go to a meeting if I felt like moving at all, but I don't. On the plus side, that means I'm not going to the liquor store..

This is not a means of staying sober..

I went back out two days in a row.. I get to where I feel really really good and then I go back out. I won't drink tomorrow then Thursday my mood will be almost too happy, level off Friday, Saturday I begin to get cranky and I drive past a particular bar and grill and get a 6 pack of pounders. Sunday I am tired and don't study (this time around luckily I studied enough and studied the right way, and did very well even without going over it again on Sunday). Stressed Monday after exam and several hours of packed lecture, and I go back out again, waking up with a hangover for clinical, feeling so drained at the end of clinical day one that I have no interest to do it Tuesday night... repeat cycle..

So I drink two nights a week, and AV is using this fact to it's advantage.. as well as the fact that I can stay focused all day, learn, ask questions, etc at clinical despite a hangover...

On another note, can I just say newborns absolutely terrify me? Omg, any desire I might have had to have a baby of my own is gone.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Some women just are are born with the "Awww--cuddly baby" gene.

I was an only child and never grew up babysitting. I did not have that gene--I was scared of even going near babies for fear I'd somehow injure them.

But I didn't want to miss out on the life experience of raising a family, so I interviewed new moms and dads, read books, and listened to tapes.

When I had my first one and I was actually holding her, it wasn't all that intimidating. You get used to it fast. And even though you're exhausted at first--the crying, the feeding, the changing, the laundry, the lack of sleep--they're easy to get the hang of. Physically it's draining, but intellectually it's comfortable. You'll be able to handle it (particularly if you pray and surround yourself with a good support network).

By the time they start getting a little behaviorally challenging (toddlerhood), they've already charmed the heck out of you.

I found I have liked mine better and better the more they grew.

So please don't let the initial scariness of babies prevent you from considering having them one day in the future.

But you'll definitely need to be sober.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

One other student and myself have never had babies and are afraid of somehow breaking them (his words). The rest are all wanting to pick em up and cuddle them, he and I are like, "you're good right there in the crib where nothing can happen to you!"

As nurses we are to provide a lot of emotional support. We'll have those moms who are totally freaked out and overwhelmed, and we have to remind them that the "Omg it's so small I'm afraid I'm going to hurt them and they never stop crying and I don't know what to do" stage is temporary.

We learned about SIDS and shaken baby syndrome... again terrifying... and what happens during a neonatal code... nurses are admittedly terrified the entire time...

Nope nope nope not for me at all.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

I hear you! They really freaked me out, too!

But the "otherness" that makes them so intimidating at first is the same quality that enables you to stay sane at the beginning. Your nerves might be shot in that early stage, but it's only gradually that you get fully engaged mentally and emotionally.

You have a good buffer of time to adjust to the 100% different new personality who has come into your home.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Even though they don't actually DO anything for awhile, they definitely have personality. Each of my five kids was distinctly different--right from the womb!
Old 06-06-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

They definitely communicate with you in their own way.