Notices

Cutting Back Never Worked For Me

Old 05-31-2017, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cutting Back Never Worked For Me

Most problems drinkers feel that they can cut back and continue to indulge now and then. It never worked for me, for various reasons.

For one, I always snowballed back into daily drinking. For another, while cutting back is undoubtedly good for the body and liver, when it comes to the psychological aspects, cutting back almost made it worse. I'd get some sobriety and feel a bit better, then get drunk one night. Then do some more days without, and then drink again.

It was like roller coaster, up and down, with my emotions and mental faculties holding on for dear life.

Feeding the monkey only keeps it alive. Angrier and hungrier. The only real way to win is to kill the monkey dead. It'll fight back with every weapon at its disposal, but with resolve it will lose.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am the same way re: cutting back not being an option. I've given myself a million little rules, like only drinking on the weekends, or not drinking by myself... Doesn't work. It's like what is the point of one or two drinks? Someone posted earlier that they have no "off" switch. That's me. Once it has been flipped, I obsess about getting more. I'll do almost anything to get it. It's such a relief to realize that and know drinking is simply not something I can do safely!
Old 05-31-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm as stubborn as most alcoholics. It took a while before I could get this through my thick, muddy head.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi livinginhope. I couldn't agree more. I wasted many years trying to use willpower to control it so I didn't have to give it up all together. Not sure why, since the fun it once was could never come back. I had slipped from social to alcoholic drinking, & every time it was in my system dangerous things happened. Valuable wisdom we now possess!
Old 05-31-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The only reason it didn't work for me is because I am an alcoholic. Anyone and everyone else can cut back, down or out without much if any problem - because they have control. I am powerless over alcohol- that first drink, I'm done.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Same!

There is absolutely no point, for me, having "just a little one" - as I've found out too many times - that one will be the beginning of many!
Old 05-31-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was actually at a point where I was doing it once every couple of weeks. It was hell, in some ways worse than being drunk all the time.

Nope, I beat my fool head against a wall so long that I think I finally knocked some sense into myself. I'm done with drinking for life.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh yes, the infamous "cutting back". Did it a million times. Sometimes it lasted a month, sometimes it lasted only a day. Always back to square one.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I could never 'cut back' cause I drank to get numb, and drinking less didn't get me as numb as I wanted to be.

I like my life a whole lot better sober.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Same here....I relate it to a nasty breakup from someone who just wants to string me along every once in a while ~ no contact is my only option.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ditto!

The Doctor's Opinion in the B/B chimes in too! Pg xxx in my book states "The only relief we have to suggest is entire abstinence."