Notices

Unhappy

Old 05-30-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy

I discovered worst thing about my addiction. Im extremely unhappy when im not drunk. Feeling nothing good. Anyway i want to give anoyher try. Today i didnt drink or smoke if god helps i want keep up like this for rest of my life.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! If you've been drinking excessively for awhile you may have masked the normal up and down of emotions. Alcohol messes with the body and brain. Nobody is happy all of the time anyway. Staying sober will give you a chance to improve how you feel, physically and emotionally. If the unhappiness doesn't ease up, you might want to check with a doctor. Keep in touch here, it helps.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Gratitude Gardener

Youre posting here, showing up, and being a squeaky wheel. THATS ALL GOOD AND EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO BE DOING.

How about writing out a list of ONLY the things in your life that you are grateful for, Chaplain?

That could be a daily exercise that might actually turn everything around for you.

I never want to do it, but once I do, every single time I do it... It completely shifts my attitude. Its a truly miraculous process.

I am praying with you, right now, and FOR YOU <3

Just for today, don't drink. It might not be very easy, Chaplain.

But you must be patient. It will get better. <3
Old 05-30-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The best advice I got in early sobriety was to be patient.

You are just a few days sober. That's awesome and you should be thankful for every hour you stay sober. To be sober and happy, this early, might be asking too much. But I know why you are disappointed. We alcoholics are seeking instant gratification--in our drinking--and in our recovery. However, you didn't get to where you are in you drinking overnight. Don't expect you get where you want in your recovery overnight.

So, to repeat the advice I was given and heeded: Be patient. You are right where you are supposed to be.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

meetings?
Old 05-30-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

God does help, whenever we ask. Sometimes he does that by giving us strength and sometimes by giving us a shovel.

You know, in the early days of sobriety a lot of this is about sticking with it through faith in that things WILL get better if we work at it. I got that hope from people ahead of me in the journey on here and also in AA. In meetings I can look into people's eyes and see that they are in earnest. See that their smiles are genuinely reflected in their eyes. And I can feel that great compassion, even if they can sometimes be a straight talking bunch, the love shines through.

Why not give it a go locally, or by listening to some of the Newcomers audios that are available. This is where I get them from (free and no registration required) https://www.recoveryaudio.org/aa-newcomers

Recovery has allowed me to start looking outwards and look past my own brokenness and see the good that is around me. It's also meant that I've learned to forgive imperfection, both in myself and in others.

Sobriety is not the same thing as Recovery. Staying sober is about taking things out if your life. Recovery is about adding things in. Things that can heal us, not only physically, but emotionally and spiritually as well. My recovery plan centres around the 12-step recovery program of AA, but there are other options. Some people devise their own plans. Dee's thread is a good one to read through while contemplating what you can add in so that sobriety can become comfortable, sustainable, and one day preferable to drinking. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html

Thing is, we don't just have our alcoholic drinking that drags us down, but the alcoholic thinking as well. I needed to change my faulty perspective of life before I old find some peace with myself and experience serenity. I'm not saying but was easy, but it was possible, and with the help of the folk here and at AA, and a brilliant sponsor and God's grace I managed it. And I have confidence that if I keep doing what I need to do, and don't pick up that first drink, my life will continue to me manageable and content. Not necessarily happy all the time - that would be impossible, because bad stuff will still happen from time to time. But I'll be able to deal with it. If i ever want to go back to being miserable then I know to stop doing the work and consider drinking again and a faulty solution.

Things will get better, if you're willing to do what is necessary. I don't personally believe that time alone is a cure to this particular malady.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 05-30-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thx for support friends. I respect evryones words here.