Notices

Introducion and admission of a problem with Alcohol

Old 05-30-2017, 04:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Friday night - light at end of tunnel- that totally sums it up for me.

By the end of the week all i want to do is go to the pub and get a few beers in as quickly as possible.

I always go home to help put the children to bed but I dash for the door when thats done. Sometimes i have my first beer when i get home on a friday - bee line for fridge. Will have been thinking about that first cold can all afternoon.

Typically i stay out until kicking out time but then have a few cans back home and watch some TV until i start to fall asleep about 2.00am on the sofa.

I'm then rubbish the next morning, slow to get up, irritable, unmotivated; often still a bit drunk.

Its really selfish and one of my core motivations is for my drinking not to impact on my availability to family.

I have been thinking of trying to find a personal trainer for the gym with the money i wont spend in the pub - that coild occupy me.

I need to be doing something as ive always struggled to shut off or just sit.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and advice. I really appreciate it. Determined not to Suffer the same fate as my grandfather or uncle - alcohol ruined their relationships with wives and children.

One of my fathers main memories as a child was sitting on pub steps with a packet of crisps and a bottle of lemonade. He doesnt drink at all.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Husk. Welcome! When I first stopped drinking, I could not imagine going to events and hanging out with friends and not drinking. The truth is that if you can't find things to do with these folks other than drink, than how good of friends are they really? I am about 6 months sober right now, and while weekends were a bit akward at first, it is now starting to feel the norm not to drink. My weekends are long and restful and I get a lot done. I spend actual quality time with my husband, family, and a few close friends. Yes some people will fade out of your life, but the best part is that over time new, authentic people will come into your life to replace them. I highly recommend getting and staying involved in some sort of recovery community be it AA or something else. I'm not going to say I have a pile of new best friends at this point, but I have made a few connections and am excited to see where they go.

Also I can totally relate to the hangovers lasting through the week. Once the physical withdrawal wore off, the mental anguish lasted a few more days. I was a binger as well and that is no way to live. Removing it was the best thing. Your moods and emotions will balance out, you will naturally have more energy, and you won't need all that coffee to artificially bring you back up. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What about making Friday night more of a date night? Get the kids sorted out together and then treat yourselves to take-out delivery and snuggle with a movie. Or get a sitter so you can go do things with your wife. This could be a wonderful opportunity to make some amends to your wife by spending time with her.

BB
Old 05-30-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

And you know that struggle to shut off and just sit? Well, that's pretty common as well. Most alcoholics I've spoken to experienced the same. The big book of AA talks about restless, irritable and discontent, and it can drive us pretty mad. Good news is that after working on their recovery a while they've become far more comfortable sitting with themselves distraction free because recovery has allowed them to (safely) work through all the rubbish that's been pin-ball-bouncing around in their head and heart for so long. It doesn't happen overnight, but in the longer term that's something you can look forward to. If you're willing to do some work on yourself that is. When people talk about serenity, that's pretty much what they mean.

BB
Old 06-01-2017, 01:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Blood tests done this morning. Results Monday.

Still feeling twitchy / panicy and still some pins and needles (although reduced).

About 4 days since last had alcohol in system so hopefully as I get to 7,8,9 & 10 things will ease.

Felt so ill its only added motivation not to drink this weekend.

Looking back hangovers from weekend binges have been lasting well into the week for a few years - now crept to weds / thurs.

Thinking maybe what the GP said a cycle of being in and out of withdrawal after 20 years of this behaviour is making more sense. Never occured that withdrawal might be an issue, not just brutal hangovers.

Going to buy loads of nice soft drinks, not go on facebook and go for a long walk friday night.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Those first days are rough, Husky - but you're doing this. I had the twitchy, itchy, panicky, anxious feelings for about a week. Things should ease up soon.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Nearly 2 weeks in and feeling more mellow, its getting better and im keeping busy. For anyone embarking on an escape from the booze, believe what the folks here say, it does get better, just not very quickly. Saturday will be 2 weeks beer free, not done that in a very long time.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good job. It gets even better. The calmness and freedom you will feel is amazing.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job Husky

D
Old 06-09-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Good work man. Your first post is a lot like my story. Sounds like you're doing everything right.

FWIW, my GP sent me to 2 different neurologists. Apparently a career of drinking really irritates the nerves, and it can often show with numbness in the hands/arms due to some structural weakness with the nerves in the elbow and wrist. I was told it could take a full 6 months of sobriety for symptoms to resolve (nerves heal slowly).

It's tough to go home and not drink after work. I find that staying scheduled helps initially to break those habits.