Notices

Anxiety is killing me

Old 05-28-2017, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety is killing me

Hi all back again relapsed and had a 2 week bender lost my job and embarrassed myself again. Doctor has put me back on Antabuse and seeing a counselor once a week. She's looking in to getting me into rehab. I'm feeling a bit better but my anxiety is getting worse by the day. I can't stop thinking about what i might have said or done as the 2 weeks were a complete blackout. How do you cope with the anxiety ?
Old 05-28-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back Alex,

Sorry you're struggling. I know the shame and feelings of anxiety very well.

What helps me the most is getting outside and going for a run/walk...whichever you prefer. Anything to get your heartrate up and to sweat. 20-30 minutes does wonders...then take a hot shower and get into something comfortable.

Hang in there..."this too shall pass"!
Old 05-28-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My ONLY suggestion, which is the ONLY thing that worked for me after drinking / drugging for 40 years ... then STRUGGLING real hard for a long time with the shame, guilt, and remorse (the BIGGEST Problem with shame, guilt, and remorse is that my ONLY way to stop it in my head and from churning my insides was to drown it out with enough liquor, which caused another round of ... shame, guilt, and remorse)

Work the 12 Steps

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and I KNOW U Can B 2
Old 05-28-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear you are taking positive steps and not drinking now Alex. Sometimes anxiety is related to withdrawal and other times it might just be that you have an anxiety problem . I was the latter so I needed to treat the anxiety through counseling and other associated methods. Exercise, relaxation, meditation and mindfulness, reading, getting enough sleep, eating well are all things you can do on your own. But don't rule out seeing a therapist if things don't improve...Anxiety is a diagnosable and very treatable condition.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Better to forget evrything and give new start. Good or bad you cant change your past but you can ask forgiveness and as you dont same mistakes youll be alright.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Walks. Lots of meetings. Here. Journal writing. Eat/hydrate. Doc for health. Divert. Mindful breathing. Art. Writing. Here. nEW EXPERIENCES. lISTS OF STUFF TO DO. cOOKING, CLEANING. sorry- cap-L.
Support to you.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have to deal with anxiety, too. It's hard but there are tools you can use, breathing techniques that can help. Getting outside and walking/hiking is my best choice. But, meditation and practising being still and sitting with your feelings is also helpful.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Alex,

I was losing my mind at 80 days clean. Anxiety.

Drinking makes it worse.

If you can't stop drinking on your own, you probably need medication besides antibuse to give you mental satisfaction drinking is providing.

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi - sorry to hear about your anxiety Alexf91. I'm sure you will find that many of us on here suffer to various degrees with this. I do believe that anxiety starts from a thought in your head, and that if you can avoid certain thoughts you might be able to lessen your anxiety. If you have thoughts about the past or about negative things just say "stop" and encourage yourself to think about something in the "now" or in the future - something positive. It's not an instant fix - but over time can be quite a helpful strategy
Old 05-28-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I run away from anxiety. Literally. I run a mile. If i still feel it. I run another. Eventually the endorphins kick in and your mind clears.

It's a temporary solution but in my experience people who exercise are able to deal with mental stress better.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's interesting (the running). Does the mileage vary based on your anxiety levels? Do you do it every day?
Old 05-28-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I struggle a lot with anxiety. Meditation, yoga and other exercise seems to help me. I'm also on Gabapentin. Tulsi is a good herbal remedy.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

The only cure I know for post blackout anxiety is time, and a determination never to put yourself in that situation again.

Hope that doesn't sound harsh or uncaring, but that's really the bottom line.
Anxiety was part of the cost I paid for drinking like I did - and I forgot that at my peril.

Hope you'll feel a little better soon

D
Old 05-28-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have problems with anxiety, I found some sessions with a CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) counseler to be very helpful. There are also CBT books, that could help. The idea behind it is to be able to identify and discount your anxious thoughts as they arise. I found it very effective.