Notices

42 days... brain fog, depression

Old 05-27-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

42 days... brain fog, depression

I know it isn't uncommon after years of drinking to feel depressed and fatigue, but it's hitting hard right now. I made it 10 months sober once before. I feel like I'm in a rough patch that I didn't experience to this extent last time. I tried a few things to battle the fatigue and depression today - working out and Yoga, reading, walking, SR, writing, but I'm just not connecting to anything. I do suffer from anxiety and depression; I see a therapist and am on meds. This is pretty bad tho. I've pretty much clocked the day in and am in bed now at 715. My AV tried justifying buying alcohol. I resisted. I'm a little scared right now tho. It's scary how sudden my mind can make me feel like it's ok to drink after all that I've been through and committed to. In a flash, my mind flips upside down. I'm not drinking, but I'm frustrated at how my alcoholic brain can be so powerful and unpredictable. A good night's sleep might be what the doctor ordered. Looking to start fresh tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi RAH

I think the first thing to do is take a deep breath.
Thoughts are not imperatives

You don't have to do anything you don't want to do.

I know you've not experienced this before but many of us have, and it's pretty normal to feel this way.

I think kindling does tend to make withdrawals greater or at least more complex when we relapse.

This link on PAWs might be useful to you as well - it not only tells you what it is but, if you think you might have it, how to deal with its main effects:

http://digital-dharma.net/post-acute...r-immediately/

The great healer tho for me was time...by 60 days I felt a lot less brain foggy and by 90 I felt 'good' again

Hang in there - you're doing great - honestly

D
Old 05-27-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement, Dee, and for the perspective. I read the post on kindling. Makes a lot of sense
Old 05-27-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm just coming up on 30 days and had a terrible bout with depression this afternoon. I'm also on meds for my depression and anxiety issues and in therapy. I just want them to GO AWAY!

Sometimes when the depression strikes it is such a scary and overwhelming feeling. I know I used to self-medicate with alcohol which (of course) led me to feeling worse the next day. I do find that meditation helps sometimes, but the feeling will pass through. Tomorrow will be a better day for us both. Feel free to PM me if you need.

xox