Notices

Brain damage

Old 05-26-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Brain damage

It's three weeks and I should be more switched on by now. I had to check calendar to make sure it wasn't 2 weeks. I know what you all will say, well, I don't because I'm pretty sure I've permanently broken something in my head. Probably you'd say, it's very early in recovery yet.
But I do seem to be a bit behind my lovely friends here who are getting sober and managing complicated lives. I'm a bit embarrassed. I just smile at meetings and hope no-one wants me to do anything. I am slowly picking up recovery stuff but reeeeally slowly.
I'm drifting through the day like a sheep in a field, not to criticise sheep who seem quite intelligent. It's very hot here for a celt. We're built for winter. I forget what I did a second ago. Thoughts about stuff I should be sorting out seem to bubble up from the mud and disappear back down without a trace.
It's quite nice because I'm not worried about a thing, totally relaxed, like I am a bit druggy. I'd just like to know if I'll ever be of any use? Will my brain repair itself?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Most people here call it brain fog Weev. It seems to be very common. I honestly had for for the first year although it became intermittent after about 5 months. I think thst the brain takes time to recover from continual intoxication.

I doubt you have much to worry about and I expect it will gradually improve.

Congratulations on three weeks!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Weev, and welcome. I'm sorry to hear that things are moving more slowly than anticipated. I will say - and you may not find this particularly helpful - but really and truly, everyone recovers from their alcoholism at their own pace. It doesn't matter how much/how frequently you drank compared to another person; so much of it depends on your body's unique chemistry and how you are taking care of it now that you're off alcohol.

That said, if you're really worried about feeling foggy all the time, I would suggest seeing a doctor. It is likely that you will begin to feel better after a time, but there's always the possibility that something else could set in. Not to scare you, but some of the more severe physical consequences of alcohol don't present symptoms until 2-3 weeks after discontinuing alcohol use (e.g. Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome). Again, that depends on you and your situation, and knowing so little about you, I wouldn't even speculate.

Take a trip to your doctor and get your levels checked. It could be something as simple as a vitamin deficiency (very common among alcoholics) that will clear up with a simple supplement! Hang in there!!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I couldn't remember how to drive home from the grocery store at 2 weeks sober. TRUE STORY. Totally normal.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Weev, you've had some great advice already. I'll just add that my brain was foggy and I felt generally dazed and confused for the first month or so. Now the brain fogginess comes and goes, like Saoutchik said. Heat is definitely not helping me either and I'm not even a celt!! Although my dad was Irish so I guess I am a little. Anyway, today I asked one of my kids to put the computer back in the fridge. I meant milk. Be kind to yourself, you're doing extremely well. And you made me smile with your comment about sheep! They are intelligent and so are you. You just need to give it time. It gets so much better
Old 05-26-2017, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with others that its pretty normal. Maybe engage in some brain games or something to try improve your cognition. You know the old saying "use it or lose it" type thing.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You have a good sense of humour and that will help you get through these early weeks. I had a similar experience, too. I found that making a list of things to do each day helped me. I would cross off at least one or two things so I felt like I was getting somewhere.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Give ittime, Weev. It is still very early days. Everyone heals from alcohol differently.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Keep Going

I really pushed this disease to the limit. I must be very lucky. Come to think of it...we're all the luckiest. Peace and love to you all

I practically sprint into meetings now and hug everyone - have done 22 in 21 days. I should get a medal because that's the most I've stuck at anything in this life.
So far
Old 05-26-2017, 11:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weev1l View Post
I'd just like to know if I'll ever be of any use? Will my brain repair itself?
You remind me of me when I sobered up.

Your brain (should) improve greatly in time.

Give it time and try not to stress over it.

Worrying about it brings on self imposed drama.

M-Bob
Old 05-26-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You do make me laugh Weev,

Recovery is a journey mate, not an event. All you're experiencing is a few blind bends along Recovery Road. Instead of worrying, just notice the changes that are happening to your brain as it adjusts to a life without ethanol. Be curious about those changes, not fretful.

At some point soon (if you're not already there), you'll drift into the pink cloud. For me it was about 30 days, a wonderful feeling of elation washing over me, day after day. Be careful of this because it doesn't last, and then there's the temptation to try and get it back by drinking again.

Then look out for PAWS, argh, what a nightmare. Huge mood swings, confusion, emotional carnage. This phase is probably most problematic. For me it made life almost unbearable, one day I lost it completely, screamed at my boss and resigned my job. That doesn't last either.

Keep your eye on the end game Weev, you have a life so rich and rewarding ahead of you, don't let some bumps on the road divert you from your path.

Have faith that you can do this and guess what? You really will do this.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Weev,

Hang in there...on more than one occasion I have been returning from shopping and got into someone else's vehicle. Talk about brain fog!!! Ugh..
Old 05-26-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Going to bed so peaceful tonight. I never thought I'd meet so many new people - and like it. There's loads of us. We should have our own country???
Good night all, and bless
Old 05-26-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Weev

3 weeks is great bit if you're like me, you drank for years. Try and be patient, and have faith that everything is healing and progressing as it should be

D
Old 05-26-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I had this as well. At six months it lifted - I can actually recall the moment. I had some dental issues/infection as well and a round of antibiotics helped that which likely helped the fog clear.

B1 - Thamine is very important for alcoholics as well.

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicati...-2/134-142.htm
Old 05-26-2017, 07:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
I had this as well. At six months it lifted
Yeah, same here, took 6 months.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

just a reminder that any supplements mentioned as a part of someone elses experience may not work, or even be suitable, for others.

Always a good idea to check with your Dr, or at least your pharmacist, before starting supplements.

D
Old 05-26-2017, 11:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It is frustrating but very normal. I too went through the heavy brain fog and was terrified I had done permanent damage. I had to go for various tests to relieve my anxiety over it- everything was fine. If you are really worried and it is causing you undue anxiety, check with your doctor. A check-up is a good idea in any case. I like an analogy my psychiatrist gave- think of your brain like a house. When a house is flooded (in our cases, with alcohol) you cannot see where the damage is, it is just a house full of water. When the flooding stops and the house dries out we can see if and where there is any damage- was the foundation affected, is there mold in the walls, what needs to be repaired. Same thing with quitting drinking, while the alcohol is still there, or still drying out, we can't get the whole picture. It takes time, but only a period of complete abstinence will allow you to clearly see any real damage.
This is not to worry you, it really sounds like very typical "brain fog". But a visit to the doctor is the best way to get answers.
I was having trouble writing, I was mixing up languages and speaking the wrong language or mixing the two (I am bi-lingual), I forgot whole chunks of my native tongue, all kinds of crazy things. But I am totally fine now.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When hospitalised 21 months ago (booze-blackout-burns) my exit diagnosis read 'probably Korsakoff's'. I am now okay. Try brain exercises- lots online- stuff like jigsaws and chess are good too. Have to rewire-retain the brain.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's gonna be OK, weev.

Stay sober.

Do the work of recovery.

Don't compare yourself to others.... if you must compare, then compare yourself to your drunken self.

There you'll see how much better you already are.

And it will get better and better.