Blogs

Notices

Brain damage

Old 05-27-2017, 02:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Brain cannot repair itself because brain cells not. But its not brain damage its because you forget how to thinking without alcohol its not damage ur brain will adapt again to think in normal way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaplain30 For This Useful Post:
Steely (05-27-2017), WeaverBird (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I was a very slow learner. My IQ seemed to be reduced to my shoe size. In fact I think I was one of the stupidest people ever to come to AA. I thought about starting my own fellowship, Slow Learners Anonymous, but the initials were already taken..

In reality, I have never seen any one that was too stupid to get sober. I have seen quite a few who were too clever though.

Of course I never suffered any drain bamage.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gottalife For This Useful Post:
Steely (05-27-2017), tomsteve (05-27-2017), WeaverBird (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 03:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Brain fogginess comes and goes. Things that helped my brain recover include:
  • Get enough sleep
  • Exercise
  • Meditation
  • Drink enough water
  • Eat food rich in omega-3s
  • And most importantly - stay sober.

I think I probably noticed the largest improvements with sleep and exercise. Even then, there were still periods were my brain just fogged up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jazzfish For This Useful Post:
Mireille (05-28-2017), Steely (05-27-2017), WeaverBird (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Keep Going

I am so glad to be here sober writing this.
My day has been so long and chaotic. Never get into situations you can't leave when you want, is my advice, and that includes accepting lifts from friends who then say: Would you mind if I just popped into... etc. For hours I was stuck. I've done more than I normally do in a month.
By this evening, I got to drinks party and realised I couldn't cope without a drink and it was a pretty close call whether I would ignore the embarrassment of leaving or cave in to social pressure and stay and drink with the rest of them.
I lied badly, ran for the hills, and went to a meeting which was, by chance, stunningly spiritual and probably saved my life.
I am so tired now. Always, I'm reminded that I will have to leave that old lifestyle behind.
I want to know how all your days went/are going before my head hits the pillow. You have come to be an important part of my life, all of you.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to WeaverBird For This Useful Post:
cellardoor77 (05-27-2017), CreativeThinker (05-27-2017), Delizadee (05-29-2017), least (05-27-2017), Mireille (05-28-2017), SeaOfSerenity (05-27-2017), Steely (05-27-2017), tomsteve (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weev1l View Post
I really pushed this disease to the limit. I must be very lucky. Come to think of it...we're all the luckiest. Peace and love to you all

I practically sprint into meetings now and hug everyone - have done 22 in 21 days. I should get a medal because that's the most I've stuck at anything in this life.
So far
many of us have pushed it to the limit,weev. personally i didnt notice a dam thing different in me at 3 months, other than i wasnt suicidal. i was told it can take a year or longer for the full effects of alcohol to be gone. in the mentime i went to meetings,read the big book, worked the steps, prayed,did service work( i dont even drink coffee yet was makin it. no complaints either!), started working at changing my actions, repeated.
slowly but surely, as promised, i started feeling the change.

so ya rush into meetings and hug everyone,but then
. "I just smile at meetings and hope no-one wants me to do anything."
got a sponsor? reading the big book? workin the steps?
maybe its time to volunteer to do some service work? even if its brewin the coffee? maybe its time to open up at meetings?

something quite common among alcoholics is inpatients- we want the change and we want it now. unfortunatly, thats not how it happens. change happens and it happens sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.
but it must be worked for.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tomsteve For This Useful Post:
least (05-27-2017), Steely (05-27-2017), thomas11 (05-27-2017), WeaverBird (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Keep Going

I'm afraid. I can't actually do any of those things unless someone actually physically demonstrates how to do them. Then I'd probably need reminding. It'd be excruciating to even try. My days are made up of apologising for my stupidity and forgetfulness. My teeth are clenched in terror as I write this. If I smile and keep quiet, I might go under their radar.
Who would I ask? Aaaaahh. Someone very kind did give me a BB tho. It's in my drawer. I could try reading it.
Just don't say anything now I've admitted all that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WeaverBird For This Useful Post:
Mireille (05-28-2017), Steely (05-27-2017), tomsteve (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Keep Going

And I do sprint into those meetings, often in my sports kit, leading to some wag asking me if I'd jogged there today. But I wouldn't actually physically hug a person. That'd be plain crazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to WeaverBird For This Useful Post:
tomsteve (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me several months to start feeling like I was functioning normally. It will get better, give it time.
The Following User Says Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
tomsteve (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well done on fleeing the drinks party weev.

You don't have to say anything at meetings if you don't want to (yet), you can just say "I've just come to listen", and people understand. Take it at your own pace weev, but it is good when we start to open up.

I don't go to AA any longer and have found alternative means of support but initially it gave, and taught me a lot. I will always remember many of the people I met in AA with fondness and respect.

ALL modalities for change have something to offer in my opinion and discount none, if that's what it is that keeps a person sober.

As for the brain fog I tried to put the broom in the fridge, can't remember the day of the month, words muddled and all as listed above. It is slowly improving but if, and the way that you write doesn't indicate it, there are tests that can be done as Meraviglioso suggests. I reckon it's all systems go weev!
The Following User Says Thank You to Steely For This Useful Post:
WeaverBird (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Hey Steely. How you doing? I'm always pleased when I see your name come up.
I have a doc appt for 5 June. I'm still getting pain in my right side after eating like just now. I really didn't think alcohol was that big a deal when I was doing it. But on the whole things are a world better than they were
Steely (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey Weev,

Good job on not caving in. Way to go!

Hope you have something fun planned for the rest of the weekend. I always feel best when I'm keeping myself busy and accomplishing something I enjoy.

Take it easy and enjoy! You're doing really well!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CreativeThinker For This Useful Post:
Steely (05-27-2017), WeaverBird (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm afraid. I can't actually do any of those things unless someone actually physically demonstrates how to do them. Then I'd probably need reminding. It'd be excruciating to even try. My days are made up of apologising for my stupidity and forgetfulness. My teeth are clenched in terror as I write this. If I smile and keep quiet, I might go under their radar.
Who would I ask? Aaaaahh. Someone very kind did give me a BB tho. It's in my drawer. I could try reading it.
welp, i didnt drink coffee. only had 1 1/2 cups in my life. never brewed a pot before. i needed some instructions from someone. and had to be reminded( yeah,weird- its coffee- water and coffee, but how much!LOLOL).
i strrongly encourage ya to get some courage. it wasnt easy for me either. working the steps i learned i was afraid- i had fear of what others would think of me-low self esteem. i had that from before i even started drinking.
and the solution- what myself and my HP think of me is more important than what others think of me. i have to remember what others think of me is none of my business. what I think of me and what my HP think of me is.
another part of the solution was/is doing things that help buld up my self esteem and one of those things was doing service work.
and open that book! im sure there are stories in the back that you can relate to. even in the first 164 pages im sure you'll read you in there.
pretty wild how a book published 29 years before i was born described me pretty darn good.
its like they knew or sumthin.
or maybe alcoholic tend to have commonalities.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomsteve For This Useful Post:
WeaverBird (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

But I do seem to be a bit behind my lovely friends here who are getting sober and managing complicated lives. I'm a bit embarrassed.
I worried about that too. Then someone said to me - what if you're right where you need to be right now?

It didn't happen immediately but that was the start to me relaxing - eventually I stopped worrying, realised I wasn't in competition with anyone, and realised that as much as I wanted to be fixed NOW I needed time for mind and body to heal.

Everyone is afraid at the start.

I worried that sober me would be a profound failure at life because thats what drunk me told me for 20 odd years....

Instead I found I was more capable that I'd ever imagined....but I needed to get out there and give things a go to find that out.

Its scary - but you're not alone Weev

D
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
Mireille (05-28-2017), Steely (05-27-2017), WeaverBird (05-27-2017), wehav2day (05-28-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks weev for saying you liked to see my name appear. That's not what the magistrate said . You made me feel good.

Seriously though, glad you have set an appointment with the doctor those pains on the right side worried me too but tests came back good and put my mind at ease. Those pains have now abated.

Funny, I was just about to post along similar lines, not being (or feeling) able to do things, and feeling embarrassed because not doing as well as the next person. I would see people exercising and eating well, going camping, etc., whilst I was sitting here frozen like a nervous wreck.

And then I saw Dee's response to you which helped a real lot. Something along the lines of being exactly where we should be, now. Thanks Dee.

I know I'm not lazy and have a good work ethic but gee sometimes I just can't, because feel so tired, depressed and anxious. It's improving sloooowly.

I made a plan to get two small things done today and have completed one! Reading your post and Dee's reply will have me complete the second. Then I'll have a chicken sandwich

We're doing well weev. We are sober. Nothing worse than a drunken camper.

Great to see you too weev.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steely For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-28-2017), WeaverBird (05-27-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Keep Going

I have a fever and I slept all day. I have a fear about being awake all night. It's 1900 hrs here and it feels almost like coming round from a bottle and not knowing if it's morning or night.
I'm like a child: I want my mother, or maybe somebody else's mother who was kind. I did wonder briefly if wine or vodka would actually kill the bugs.
I don't want to be on my own.
Dee74 (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're sick right now Weev. I hope things are looking up for you soon

D
Old 05-29-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Really struggling to check in here today. I'm not great at expressing myself. I've not been able to get to a meeting for 2 days either.
It hit me earlier that my whole life has been controlled by alcohol and I'm vaguely sad about those 20 years or so. But I'm not overly concerned about my past. As long as alcohol never comes near me again. The truth is out. I also know I have to build something from the rubble left behind by me drunk and stomping around like Godzilla on all my relationships and hopes for a career. But I'm not too concerned about the future either.
I seem to be in a different space on day 24. Some kind of calm, or clear perspective, that I've never felt in my life. Maybe a chance of a new direction. I want more of this. I hope I'm not just spaced out from the bug.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WeaverBird For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-29-2017), Mountainmanbob (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

This can absolutely be a new chance at life, a new career, new friendships.

Just keep doing the next right thing; keep moving forward.

New path will become evident.

Stay close, Weeve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoberLeigh For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-29-2017), WeaverBird (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are you stuck at home because you're still sick, Weev?

D
Old 05-29-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Hey Sober, hey Mountain Man, hope you're doing well.
Let me know if I'm not making sense, will you? This is brand new and I don't want to break it.