Notices

Day 3 - so itchy and can't sleep!

Old 05-26-2017, 12:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 - so itchy and can't sleep!

First timer here - was drinking a bottle + of wine every night for about 4 years to cope with job related stress. I woke up super late for work (again) one morning and realized how my innocent glass-a-night-before-bed had transformed into a self-destructive bottle-plus-per-night monster.

I'm on day 3 and my struggles are not quite what I expected. My scalp is unbelievably itchy, so is my upper torso/shoulder area. I'm super wound up at night, I've been averaging maybe 3-4 hours of sleep (If I had the kind of energy during the day that I have at night, I'd be substantially more efficient at work). During the day, I'm groggy, forgetful and all I can focus on is how many hours are left before I can go home and sleep, but when I get home I'm wound up again. Today is the first day I've had much of an appetite, but I've been forcing myself to eat because I know I need to.

Is any of this normal? Looking forward to meeting some other people to support me in staying sober.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Littlelady12! It's all "normal". It takes awhile for your body to adjust. If all is well medically, hang in there! Lots of people here have had all of those symptoms. The sleep issues are a real pain! It's a good thing that this is a worldwide forum, so most likely somebody's awake when you want to chat.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome littlelady
yeah it sounds normal to me too - hopefully things will improve for you as they did for me, day by day

D
Old 05-26-2017, 01:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi littlelady, well done on 3 days. I had itchy scalp, fogginess, racing mind, disturbed sleep and forgetfulness when I stopped drinking. So, yes I'd say it's all normal. It's just your body and mind starting to heal. Stick with it because all those things will go away. Thank you for posting. It's useful to be reminded of these symptoms because once they go away, it's easy to forget that they were ever there. Particularly the itchy scalp! I'd forgotten all about that! Good luck
Old 05-26-2017, 01:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jon

It's normal to feel the remnants of the effects. Everyone goes through what you, our bodies act in strange ways with the affects of addiction. I think the worst is anxiety, have you talked to your doc about helping you with cope and offering maybe medication to ease day to day if you feel like you having an anxiety or a moment of confusion. Out neurons fire randomly so it hard to just get into the rhythm of sobriety. Good luck to you and more power to you.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome LittleLady.

Why the first days are tough, the rewards of staying booze-free will soon make themselves known if you keep it up.

Stay Strong!
Old 05-26-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your body does everything it can to get the poison out, and horrible itchiness is one of the symptoms. Keep on with your sobriety and it will pass!
Old 05-26-2017, 08:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First, congratulations on day 3! Secondly, I concur as to the unfortunate normality of what you are going through. It sucks and insomnia, anxiety, even paranoia, will be with you for awhile. It will subside with time, however.

The itchiness may be partly psychosomatic, but it may also be because your body at day 3, is still greatly dehydrated. I don't want to give a medical diagnosis, but the itchy scalp sounds familiar. No matter, slowly drinking lots of water is always a good idea, (But only if you at the point where you can keep it down.).

Best wishes from me!
Old 05-26-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Littlelady and welcome!! As the others have said, I too can attest that this is all normal in my experience. For me, day 3 was typically the worst. You feel all wound up/restless because your body has been struggling to adjust to the depressant effects of alcohol by moving certain things faster, and when you take it away abruptly, your body is still compensating for the depressant drug. It takes several days for this to normalize, but worry not - it WILL happen. It generally takes me at least a week to get my sleep schedule back on track, which is exhausting and infuriating, but that too will return to normalcy. That is, unless you drink again! I know how tempting it is, since overdrinking (especially wine) can put anyone to sleep -- but it is absolutely worth it to wait it out and get your equilibrium back on track.

Congrats on 3 days, and keep it up!!