SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   First day sober! Scared and exited. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/410143-first-day-sober-scared-exited.html)

NewLife52417 05-24-2017 07:05 PM

First day sober! Scared and exited.

I have tried this five years ago and relapsed​. So I am more than ready to do this again. I'm tired of not remembering my life.

SimplyFree 05-24-2017 07:24 PM

Welcome....we can all relate to that!

time2shineagain 05-24-2017 07:51 PM

Welcome. I'm only on day 5, so don't have much in the way of advice, but this site has been a really great recovery tool for me. So much support and advice. You've come to the right place. :grouphug:

stargazer016 05-24-2017 08:10 PM

Welcome NewLife! Lots of great folks and wisdom here on SR. Stay close to here on your journey.

Dee74 05-24-2017 08:42 PM

Welcome to SR newlife :)
how did you stay sober last time?

D

least 05-24-2017 08:44 PM

Welcome to the family. :) I hope our support can help you get sober for good. :hug:

Tertor 05-24-2017 08:50 PM

Welcome!

NewLife52417 05-25-2017 04:48 AM

The last time I saw all the people in my life I was hurting so I just put the bottle down. I was so proud of myself for months until new year's day my girlfriend at the time wanted to celebrate with champagne. I new I shouldn't but I had a glass, then the bottle and well I guess u know what happened next. So here I am again 5 years later 2 days sober. Thank you all so much for your support. We can all get through this together.

NewLife52417 05-25-2017 05:08 AM

Today is day 2 and woke up better than I have in 5 years since my relapse! I'm tired because I barely slept but man do I see a great future ahead as well as a big struggle. C'mon y'all let's do this! And we will! I refuse to be captive by a bottle!

PhoenixJ 05-25-2017 05:34 AM

welcome

Mattq2 05-25-2017 05:36 AM

Well done on day two. On to day three😀

RetiredGuy 05-25-2017 06:47 AM

Welcome to SR. The support of the people here have helped me tremendously and I am sure if you keep checking in, it will be a huge help for you too.

Say strong. It is tough at first, but well worth the effort!

ChloeRose63 05-25-2017 07:16 AM

Welcome! You will and can do this! We are all here for eachother and together we are strong!

Creamcicle 05-25-2017 02:15 PM

Welcome/welcome back to recovery, NewLife. I am new to the SR forums (this is my first post here), though not to online discussion boards -- they have been helpful to me since I was new in recovery back in '95 (though being online was a lot harder then--dialup on Win95 LOL!) I hope having sober online contact is as helpful for you as it has been for me.

NewLife52417 05-25-2017 02:18 PM

You guys are awesome! How do you guys keep your mind off of drinking? It got tough last time. I don't think I was doing it right because I went back so easily after I took that one drink. Am truly grateful to have your support.

tomls 05-25-2017 02:41 PM

Most if not all of us would have a problem if we took one drink! You can't drink at all ever in this game of recovery!

kenton 05-25-2017 03:30 PM

How do I keep my mind off drinking? Sometimes I go through large chunks of time when I don't think about it at all. Other times it's in my mind all the time. That's when I read posts here or I post here or I go for a run or I clean the house or have a bath or eat ice cream or do anything other than drink. After drinking for many years, I'm obviously going to think about it but thinking isn't drinking (I read that here). And like Tomls said, the aim is to stop yourself having that first drink. If I had one drink, there would be no stopping me. Well done, keep going :)

Dee74 05-25-2017 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by NewLife52417 (Post 6471930)
You guys are awesome! How do you guys keep your mind off of drinking? It got tough last time. I don't think I was doing it right because I went back so easily after I took that one drink. Am truly grateful to have your support.

With time that obsession with drinking disappeared :)

The thing to remember is - post here before you drink.
That's vital - let us talk you out of it :)

here are some good ideas on dealing with cravings
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D

NewLife52417 05-25-2017 06:24 PM

Thank you Dee. I've already have cravings, every time I go to my kitchen I look to where my bottle was. I've been doing a lot to keep my mind off of it. Checked out what u sent. Will use it. I can't thank you guys enough. I have to get it right this time.

Hevyn 05-25-2017 06:30 PM

It's so good to have you with us, NewLife.

I did a similar thing after 3 yrs. sober. It was Christmas & I decided it would be ok to have 'a glass' of wine. Of course it wasn't just a glass. More like the whole bottle. Then another. Off I went for 7 yrs. That's when I came to SR. Knowing others understood what I was going through made all the difference for me. I was no longer alone with my struggle. That was almost 10 yrs. ago. I never picked up again. You can do it!