Notices

Final Day One

Old 05-23-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Final Day One

I messed up yesterday and got trashed. I feel horrid today, but I made it to work. I am bloated and tired.

I know that whenever I drink, one drink turns into a good bender EVERY TIME. I used to drink like a fish every single day for years but since I joined here last Fall the drinking has become sporadic. There have been some good sober stretches, a week or weeks at a time. But looking back I don't think I've had 30 continuous sober days yet. How pathetic is that.

I don't feel well enough to do anything today other than trudge through until I can get back home. Tomorrow I am going to AA. I don't really feel comfortable in groups like that but I have to do something proactive and stick with it. My problem seems to have become staying stopped after 5 to 15 day sober stretches. I believe regular participation in some type of program should help get over the hump?
Old 05-23-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think going to an AA meeting is a great idea.
I remember when I couldn't put five days together. For years.
Despite all my best intentions.
And, like you, one drink inevitably led to a bender when who knew I would stop.
AA helped me, it's great to see people face to face with the same problem and the same goal, sobriety.
I know how you feel. I drank like you describe for twenty years. Save yourself a whole lot of misery and take action because, believe me, it can get worse.
Best to you.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The longer you stay sober the more everything will start clicking. AA is a great idea. Any tools you can use to stay sober the better!

Old 05-23-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"Tomorrow I am going to AA. I don't really feel comfortable in groups like that but I have to do something proactive and stick with it."

good on ya for getting into action.
buuuuut, you dont feel comfortable in groups like what? youve been to AA before?

" I believe regular participation in some type of program should help get over the hump?"
you meant the 5-15 day hump?
ok, it helps ya get over that hump, but what about the next hump?

seems like something changed real quick from

" but I have to do something proactive and stick with it"

are you just lookin to just stick with something until youre over the hump? only going to be proactive for that 5-15 days?
Old 05-23-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Spartan,

Imo.....The 5 to 15 day hump is more physical than mental.

That is when the booze is out of your system.

Your brain needs the booze to feel right. You tell yourself you are feeling great and deserve a drink or,you had a bad week and deserve a drink..either way...

What you are feeling is a strong mental crave. That is part of the healing process. I relapsed 100 times like that before I learned here that is was brain damage.

It takes a long long time before your brain starts to produce natural dopamine to a level that provides contentment. Until then the alky suffers.

Helping folks, sweets, exercise, meds, meditation etc etc..are all used to get mentally normalized again.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone. TomSteve, you bring up a good point. After thinking about it I suppose I should commit to the 90 in 90 which ii see recommended some times. Time to get serious and take some action instead of floating along from one bender to the next.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you're back Spartanman!
Old 05-23-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would suggest posting regularly. Maybe join the Class of May and post there daily. There's lots of support here. Take advantage of it.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AA really helps..me at least
Old 05-23-2017, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sounds like you're convinced there's never going to be a good outcome once it gets in your system. There's nothing in it for us anymore - only misery and regret. Congrats on your final Day 1.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When that little voice in your head that tells you, "Hey, now would be an awesome time for a drink or 10!," tell it to **** off.

That's what they mean by one day at a time. That's how you get to tick off that one more day and wake up hangover free.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How do you feel after your 15 day stretches of being sober?
Old 05-24-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spartanman View Post
Thanks again everyone. TomSteve, you bring up a good point. After thinking about it I suppose I should commit to the 90 in 90 which ii see recommended some times. Time to get serious and take some action instead of floating along from one bender to the next.
good on ya.
ya know, i think i myself might have had a little insight with your reply- floating along from one bender to the next- i could say thats what i did at one time. although still drinking, there were times i wouldnt drink as much- i would be floating along until the next rip snortin week long bender. then back to lower intake.
that was until alcoholism progressed and it was blackout drunk daily.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
"Tomorrow I am going to AA. I don't really feel comfortable in groups like that but I have to do something proactive and stick with it."

good on ya for getting into action.
buuuuut, you dont feel comfortable in groups like what? youve been to AA before?

" I believe regular participation in some type of program should help get over the hump?"
you meant the 5-15 day hump?
ok, it helps ya get over that hump, but what about the next hump?

seems like something changed real quick from

" but I have to do something proactive and stick with it"

are you just lookin to just stick with something until youre over the hump? only going to be proactive for that 5-15 days?
Well said tomsteve!

Spartanman- Glad you are here- and these were my first thoughts too.

Actually, I thought "we need something to get us through the hump of life." That's what AA is for me- a way of living sober and well.

Hope to see you here and committed to permanent sobriety.