Notices

A wedding, a baseball game and brunch all without booze..

Old 05-23-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A wedding, a baseball game and brunch all without booze..

Happy Tuesday, all!

Well - this past weekend was a very busy one! Saturday we drove from CT to Long Island for a wedding and to see my family. I have to admit - it was weird sitting at the bar during cocktail hour and ordering up non-alcoholic beverages.. especially when it was open bar and the rest of my family drank. I toasted the bride and groom, but did not sip the champagne. It went to my BF. It was interesting watching the world around me at an event like that without feeling the effects of alcohol. My mother must have had a bottle and a half of wine by the time we were ready to leave. My father ended up driving my BF and I home and leaving my mother and aunt there because they wanted to go to the bar with everyone afterwards.

We left Long Island and headed over to Citifield. Most people around me were drinking. A friend noticed I was drinking a Sprite and said "Oh my goodness. Nikki not drinking? Who are you and what have you done with Nikki??" I decided to have a real moment with her and let her know I'm living that sober life. She's one of the girls I used to party with. Bars, clubs, dancing... always down for a good time that more often than not ended up in being hungover and making awful decisions that I would never ever do sober. She just listened and nodded her head. She understood. A couple of other girls showed up to the game and were obviously high and drunk. The ended up missing most of the game because they were too busy getting drinks. Me? I saw the whole game and The Mets won! I connected with some friends that I haven't gotten to see in a while and it felt great. Even the ride back to CT felt great. I was able to be coherent and talk to my BF the whole ride home to help him stay awake. We didn't get home until 1AM.

Sunday we had a lovely brunch/lunch with another group of friends. Each person ordered an alcoholic beverage and I sat with my pink lemonade. What I found extraordinary was that each person only ordered one drink. When the waitress came around and asked if she could get anyone else another drink, everyone said they were good and stuck with their order. The alcoholic brain inside of me wanted to ask what the point of that was! Normally after a lunch with alcohol, I would want to stop at the liquor store for more booze and then head home to continue drinking. Not this time. This time we got home and took care of household chores. It felt really great to be able to do that.

So - I'm doing well. I've past a whole month of being sober. So far it has come easier to me than expected. I think partly because if I slip then I would be explaining to my BF what happened and I can't let him down. Our relationship is so much stronger now even though it's only been four weeks. I couldn't look him in the eye and admit what I did. I don't have any urges and aside from feeling a slight uneasiness when in a bar setting when I first get there.. it's been fine. I'd say the uneasiness just comes along with breaking the habit. The habit of sitting at the bar, looking at the menu, ordering a drink. I don't get cravings and I don't get urges. I just find that once I'm in a setting and I get over the weirdness of not ordering a drink then I'm good..

Anyway - I hope everyone is having a wonderful Tuesday.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing so well, Nikki!
Old 05-23-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 05-23-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

By Jove, I think she's got it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
eliza.jpg (24.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 05-23-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done! You're handling all these moments so well.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sober style

great post, Nikka. You're killing it.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

grouphug:
Old 05-23-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice Job Nikka! Stay with it!
Old 05-23-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)