Notices

Jerk While Drunk = Jerk At Core?

Old 05-22-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

This is a very helpful thread. Its a topic I have been discussing somewhat on the Family Forum. In general Ive been getting feedback that alcohol or drugs arent an excuse for any bad behavior,, which is something I agree with BUT the bigger issue to me is DOES alcohol and drug use explain why certain behaviors happen? To this Im often told well not everyone who drinks or uses drugs will dance on a table, become belligerent, act aggressive, start a fight, or do something to physically hurt their family member. This is correct also.

My therapist says certain drugs, and using alcohol change the chemicals in the brain and send signals to the rest of the body. For example, cocaine due to the way it affects the body can blur ones perception of reality, give false confidence, or prompt hyper aggressive tendencies, along with an increase in libido. It happens because of how the drug works on the body.

My therapist also says that sometimes how people react can be caused by who they are as in "at the core" but the emotional state that they are in, current over-riding issues going on can be a driving force too. People drinking to excess when they are in a breakup and feeling so low about themselves and recounting all their negative qualities and how they will be alone forever. Or the guy who tells off his boss while drunk because of an interaction they had weeks ago. Their is a false confidence, blur of consequences for action, an inability to do weigh choices before acting.

Thank you for letting me share that here, as I have no where else to post such thoughts. But the long and short of it is, NO, I dont think being a jerk while drunk means you are a jerk at the core. But I would say if you notice a pattern of specific behavior when drunk then maybe talking to a professional might help you see if there is something going on emotionally or psychologically that needs addressing with therapy.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

mmm...

Sometimes I'm a total arse and sometimes I am a pillar of compassion ... Drunk or sober.

I do know that sober I am less likely to buy into either being the "true me".

I believe that I, like everyone else is a mixed bag. That said, my tendancey is to see the "fertilizer" in me rather than the flower on it's way to blooming.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Looking back to my drinking days, I can certainly remember times where I was a big ol' jerk. As others have mentioned here, a lot of the time certain fears and insecurities can manifest as acting out and being a jerk. These things are easier to control while sober, but come out while being intoxicated. What I got out of this is that, no, neither I or most others are jerks at the core, but there are simply issues that need to be properly addressed and dealt with. Trying to deal with things by drinking is not only NOT going to fix them, but instead will continue to cause them to resurface.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't think so. Clearly we all have our good and bad qualities, and we know that any kind of impairment brings out the bad..

I strongly believe that those of us with the greatest capacity with good are the same that have the greatest capacity for evil. Just saying.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

No, I don't believe the jerk at the core theory, if there is such theory. Where has that ever been written/researched? I'd be interested.

When I drink I'm an idiot/jerk, when I am sober I'm not, I'm unjerkily trying to get well.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Should have put a smiley at the end of my last post looked a bit severe without.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
I strongly believe that those of us with the greatest capacity with good are the same that have the greatest capacity for evil. Just saying.
That is the core of it!