Notices

Emergency housing?

Old 05-20-2017, 11:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emergency housing?

So I lost my job due to drinking and possibly having my dad kick me out due to drinking. I might possibly have other supports like my mother in the mean time. If for some reason I can't, is it the streets? I have a detox appt on Tuesday and setup with outpatient at the moment and a mental health office thru a hospital. I really want to stop drinking but it's been harder to stop then ever before. Is there maybe any emergency housing I can look into? Never been in this situation. It's been bad before but not this bad. Plus withdrawals are a lot worse even after a 4 day bender
Old 05-20-2017, 11:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am in Australia so do not know. BUT you have access to the internet- so a search with that label may help. Also local churches? I was homeless and it was through the Salvos- both for a recovery program and housing I am now safe.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Newman - I'm in Australia too but I'd imagine there must be several options for you in New York?

Get Help - Coalition For The Homeless

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/thin...r-homelessness

(I know you're probably not really looking to volunteer but the article gives you a few more names to chase up)

DHS - Single Adults

https://otda.ny.gov/programs/housing/
Old 05-20-2017, 11:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We have some members in NYC that hopefully can give you some info. Hang in there- when there's a will there's a way. I know it's hard (heck, everyone here has faced down their Beast) but you can do it.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think trying to get into full inpatient rehab would be the best option to give yourself the best care, plus you'll have a place to stay.