SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Admitting I need help (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/409921-admitting-i-need-help.html)

skriver 05-20-2017 03:41 AM

Admitting I need help

I have always enjoyed a drink or two but lately realised that my drinking is out of hand.

I moved from the UK to Sweden recently and the dark winters often mean a lot of people drink inside.

I had a good job, well paid in a good position. Yet I found I was turning up for work hungover and it was affecting my performance. Our department recently got laid off so I found myself drinking more.

I'm drinking around six beers an evening, which does not sound much but its effecting my life. Nobody has told me I have a problem but I know I do.

I need to know how to stop and focus back on work. I've got several interviews planned which is good but I don't want it to be a case of history repeating itself.

I really need help.

Dee74 05-20-2017 04:11 AM

SR helped me turn my life around - it meant a lot to be around people who understood what I was going through, as well as people who'd made it over to recovery :)

Read around, post as much as you like..see what others are doing to get and stay sober...

There's an amazing amount of support here skriver- welcome :)

D

Steely 05-20-2017 04:12 AM

Six beers a night may not seem very much to some people but it is not about the quantity it is how alcohol is affecting your life.

You stop by making a decision to stop and seeking support through a website such as this, perhaps seeing a counsellor.

Keep posting here and keep us updated on how you are going through all of the inevitable ups and downs. Eventually, if it's what you really want you will crack it.
Sobriety is greater by a long shot.

I wish you the very best, and a big welcome skriver.

Maggie1199 05-20-2017 04:17 AM

It is extremely hard making the decision and then sticking to it.
Please hang in there . Praying for you.

skybert 05-20-2017 04:20 AM

Hi there skriver! By posting here, you have done the first right step. The amount of alcohol you drink doesn't actually define the problem, but your feelings about it does.
That you acnowledge that your habit is causing a problem, or will do that if it continues/escalades, is the warning you need to make a change.
This forum has tons of stories to motivate your journey, and highly qualified people to guide you along the road.
You moved to UK from Sweden, so I take a chance on that you are swede: Velkommen til forum for de store endringer! (Welcome to the forum for The Big Change!)
Keep on reading and posting!

-skybert

PhoenixJ 05-20-2017 04:57 AM

HI, you might find AA meetings a BIG help. They are for me..

Nowsthetime 05-20-2017 06:20 AM

Hi! There also AVRT and other tools that you can learn here. Make a plan and work it.

We are here to support you! Welcome!!!

mejorando 05-20-2017 06:28 AM

The resources that I know of are AVRT, SMART Recovery and AA. If you reach out to those and feel like it suits you, then great! You´ve found what you need.

I´ve liked AA because of how easily I can connect with other people and was able to easily find a mentor.

You deserve a lot of kudos for realizing that this is affecting you! This can´t be underestimated because so many people don´t realize it. Go easy on yourself, be proactive, and look forward to the positive changes that are on the way.

Thanks for posting! I posted 4 years ago on here when I started out and I´m happier now