Notices

Realizing the problem..

Old 05-19-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Realizing the problem..

I wrote this in another thread and was told I may get better results here.
I dont guess I have ever said any of this "out loud" but here goes nothing.
Im 32. Have a husband Ive been with since I was 18. We have 2 beautiful babies, 2 and 4.
Ive always drank just never like this. Since moving 2 years ago, I went from a glass of wine or maybe a beer at night, not everynight, to now buying a big bottle of wine and downing half or more between 4pm and 9pm. This happens most everynight. I dont get blackout drunk. Most nights I dont even feel drunk. Yesterday, I had a glass at 2pm because I was going to get my hair done. Then another at 230. Then the rest of my big bottle was gone by 5pm. I was drunk at 5pm! Wth?! My husband had to drive us to our dinner plans because I couldnt. Its a sick feeling. I have a love/hate relationship with ms.pinot. Devil in a bottle yet I keep coming back for more.
I want to stop. Im just now sure how. My husband works out of town a lot and I am a SAHM, So the thought of having a seizure or something while here alone with this kids, really freaks me out. Is there a such thing as tapering? Is it even possible?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Time2Change. Glad that you are reaching out for help. "tapering" does exist, but it's usually not very effective. For one thing, it is a form of control of your drinking - and by definition, we cannot control our drinking as alcoholics. The second issue is that even with tapering, you can experience withdrawal symptoms, even without quitting completely.

Your best bet is to see a doctor - especially if you feel there could be severe withdrawal symptoms. Tapering won't prevent those from happening, and especially if you are going to be alone with young children you need to seek outside assistance.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome to SR. I have been where you are many, many times. I was a beer or 2 drinker...wine spritzer drinker...which turned into a 12 pack every 2 days...or a bottle of wine every other day. Quitting only lead me to binge drinking for a week and swearing I would NEVER drink again. My life became a rollercoaster. If you can get help to stop and detox please do. Tapering may not be the thing to do because the alcohol contols us and alittle is never enough. Glad you are here.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Time,

In my experience....

Many shy away from offering this advice, but you need help. So....

Going to the dr. Is the most conservative and potentially life savings answer. You will carry the stigma of a diagnosed alky for the rest of your life. You may be given anti depressants. If you don't care...see a dr.

I got clean on my own. It sucked. It was hell on earth. I am permanently scared to the core about detox. I will never go through that again. If detox is painless, you may relapse easier.

I drank harder than you....a bottle of wine is 10 units...i drank that on an easy night. I could drink 25 units in 24 hours. I once drank a 1.75l of vodka in 2 days. It was a nightmare binge.

I routinely went 2 to 7 days in between sessions. I was/am kindled hard. I had/have paws. I have ptsd from my drinking. I likely have permanent damage to my body and mind. I probably have lost a few years of life due to my addiction.

Anyway....

The short answer is..imo..

Tapering is not that cosmic. Google it.

If you need a dr.....see one. Your life maydepend on it.

Some folks can't do it on their own w out dr. Help. You never know, i still could relapse and end up in the er.

This drinking thing is no joke. It is a killer.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR. Others have provided excellent advice. I simply wish to convey that sobriety or quitting drinking will likely be one of the best decisions you can make for yourself. Your life will improve immeasurably. Good job on recognizing the problem.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Time2change4me
Al;l I can tell you is tapering never worked for me, If I was that good at controlling my alcohol intake, I wouldn't need to try and taper.

I know it means 'breaking cover' but seeing your Dr is the safest route IMO.

D
Old 05-19-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Empathy and support. See your doc, go to a meeting